Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taybay

Treatment suggestions for my scar

I have had a 'sunken in' scar on my forehead for several years now. It's the result of a brown recluse bite (happened in my sleep). I am really interested in having it fixed. I'm 18 but just over a year ago, we talked to a doctor from our church who recommended either collagen injections or excision. They took photos of my scar and sent it to our insurance company, who refused to help pay for the excision because they saw it as cosmetic rather than medical. My parents never did bother to see anymore doctors, as they saw it as too expensive and unnecessary. But I can't even begin to explain the depression I fell into after the bite because of how low my self-esteem got. I have bangs right now to cover it up but I really want to be able to get a consultation and possibly the excision.

My question is to people who have had similar scars and excision... I am completely new to this and I was wondering if excision would be the right choice for my scar (photo attached). I also am curious about the things I should ask about when in consultation. I've googled for doctors in Alabama who do excisions but I really have no idea what kind of specifics I should be asking and how to make sure the doctor is going to be good and is giving me a good price.

My photo attached, I also made sure to keep in my hairline and the tip of my sunglasses so you can see how big the scar is. It's just smaller than a dime. It's also discolored with a paler shade of my skin, however I try to hide that with make-up, so you can't see that very well in this particular pic. From what I've read in the FAQ this would be considered a 'box scar' I think.

Thoughts or suggestions?

post-94170-1232852912_thumb.jpg

post-94170-1232852912_thumb.jpg

From your photo it looks like you have very fine skin, please consider that any kind of resurfacing (chemical or laser) may change the texture of the skin there even if it fills in entirely.

If I were in your shoes I would definitely work my way up from the mildest of procedures. I haven't personally used a filler but I think it is the best suited solution. But I couldn't really advise you between the difference between them i.e. (artecoll, resytlene, collagen).

Dang Brown recluses. Ive been bitten by 4, yes 4 brown recluses in my sleep! 1 on my butt, 1 on my pelvis, 1 on my elbow and 1 on my hip. 1 of the bites I had to be rushed to the emergency room for because my elbow swole up the size of a softball. It was disgusting when they drained it. It looked like pudding. Ok enough of that.

Anyhow I know exactly what type of scar your working with as the bite on my hip left an indented scar about the size of a dime. Its indented and left a wrinkle inside its borders. One thing you may consider is excision followed by spot dermabrasion. Make positively sure you find a competent doctor for the excision because some results have been disastrous.

A doctor I recommend to everyone is Dr. Lam in Dallas. I started mentioning his name around about 6 months back after I saw him and he's starting to become a hit on this board after several other members have gone to see him. He is GOOD at what he does. I know he is real straightforward and wont B.S. you. If he thinks he can fix it, then he'll let you know, if not, he'll tell you.

Tell him Drew off of acne.org sent you his way and send him your pic. He can be reached at www.lamfacialplastics.com . If you dont want to ask him please find a reputable doc. Good luck!

^ Yes that's exactly how mine is! Indented, wrinkle inside the border... aside from this scar, my skin is fairly good. I don't have many scars, spots or acne problems. I don't even mind having a scar or even a scar on my forehead, but this is just TOO ridiculous - it's deep, noticeable, and I have no way to cover it up. It's so embarrassing and has really knocked my self-esteem. I don't even WANT bangs, it's just the only way to cover it up.

I remember the doctor I saw a while back mentioned that if I had injections done, they would have to be re-injected ever so often. I'm a little frightened of having a monthly injection (or however often you have to get injections - I really have no clue about them at all). I also want to make sure the issue of discoloration is solved as well, as the scar is paler than my normal skin. This is such a problem that I don't go out in the sun or get a tan like I want to because I'm afraid the scar will keep its pale discoloration and it will become more noticeable.

One big question I have about excision is, will my skin be pulled uncomfortably tight? I know it's my forehead so there's not as much excess skin as in other places, but I'm hoping it won't feel irritatingly tight.

I live in Alabama and there's no real way for me to travel to Dallas... doctors should have a 'portfolio' type thing for each operation they can perform, right? So I could ask doctors that perform excisions about seeing before and after photos of previous patients that underwent the same surgery?

I've been searching for general prices but all I see is its relative and depends on the doctor and procedure... but I don't know the range whatsoever... $100? $500? What's a good price and a ridiculous price? Is there any general price range that I should expect for both excision and spot dermabrasion?

search plastic surgeons taybay..thats where you get excision done.. make sure you find a good dr..I had excision done about 10 years ago and the dr. turned a small icepick scar into the largest of all my facial scars..it is worse looking then your scar you have now..not trying to frighten you, I'm just telling you to chose wisely and take this seriously..the whole point is to improve the scar not make it worse. and alot of dr's and surgeons are complete idiots. make sure if you are going to get any treatment done you take 3g vitamin c a day..set up a solid post treatment topical program..copper peptides or something like that to help your skin heal the best it can..good luck..

good post munsoned,

Thats what I was trying to tell her. I could care less about the distance I had to travel if I knew I was seeing a doctor who was good at what he did. Taybay, its not about just the excision, its about who does the excision. Please dont take this lightly.

good post munsoned,

Thats what I was trying to tell her. I could care less about the distance I had to travel if I knew I was seeing a doctor who was good at what he did. Taybay, its not about just the excision, its about who does the excision. Please dont take this lightly.

drewboy. I noticed you told her to take this seriously..I just know how you gotta drive stuff home with new comers because they just dont realize what they are dealing with..

by the way, sorry to hear about all your bites..thats crazy getting bit 4 times by those damn things.. I have heard its very unpleasent getting bit by those but I did not know it could be as severe as your case with your arm..or the fact you get left with such a scar..YIKES!!

Yes I do realize this is a huge decision and that it's very possible if the doctor isn't good, I could end up with a much worse scar than before. However, you really don't understand my situation and I'd rather not to go into it... but point blank, flying to Dallas or somewhere else so far away is just not an option for me. I could go to somewhere within driving distance like Atlanta, Birmingham, Panama City, etc.

I wouldn't just settle for a doctor either. If I'm not able to find a doctor who I feel is qualified, trustworthy, and professional enough for the procedure, I will just wait until my personal situation here is better and allows me to travel to find a better doctor. This is definitely not something I'm rushing into by any means, but like I said in my first post, I wanted to get opinions of people who are more familiar with these things than I am both on what would be best for me and things I should ask about that I - being not so experienced with these procedures and doctors - should ask about and make sure of. I don't want to go in completely unaware but I'm not really finding too many specifics online...

Yes I do realize this is a huge decision and that it's very possible if the doctor isn't good, I could end up with a much worse scar than before. However, you really don't understand my situation and I'd rather not to go into it... but point blank, flying to Dallas or somewhere else so far away is just not an option for me. I could go to somewhere within driving distance like Atlanta, Birmingham, Panama City, etc.

I wouldn't just settle for a doctor either. If I'm not able to find a doctor who I feel is qualified, trustworthy, and professional enough for the procedure, I will just wait until my personal situation here is better and allows me to travel to find a better doctor. This is definitely not something I'm rushing into by any means, but like I said in my first post, I wanted to get opinions of people who are more familiar with these things than I am both on what would be best for me and things I should ask about that I - being not so experienced with these procedures and doctors - should ask about and make sure of. I don't want to go in completely unaware but I'm not really finding too many specifics online...

taybay..ask the dr's you go to see what kind of improvements you can expect..if you are not happy with their answer just leave..if you are happy with their answer..tell them you expect exactly what they told you and nothing less..but dont count on any dr. to be honest and upfront about anything..its what you do to research and plan before hand..finding the right dr's ect.. that will determine your success..

post a new thread about getting excision done..and see if you cant find somebody who has had this done near your location and can possibly point you in the right direction..

again, make sure to find out a solid post treatment plan..topicals, vitamins ect..if you are going to go in this direction start researching as much as possible and seeking out others/anybody who has excision so you can get first hand advice..then go into this with knowledge and knowledge is power..the more you know the better off your chances of success are..

i was in the same boat your in with a chickenpox scar and my excision turned out worse. its a big risk and if you left with something unslightly you'll be pretty upset. i'd wait with it and not try excision. there a stem cell treatment in japen i think it would work on you.