Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinsandcruelty

accutane effectiveness

Hey, im soon to be on accutane and i was just wondering.... I know accutane is a proven success but i was just interested in knowing how many people find themselves on a second course? Also can anyone tell me why the acne does not come back? (hopefully) i know it shrinks the glands so what stops them from going back to how they were after accutane is over? thanks in advance guys

I know this probably isn't the answer you want to hear but -- Unfortunately there is no way to tell whether or not your acne will come back or if accutane will work. Everyone's bodies are different and the medicine will effect each person different. At my last visit my derm told me that he was about 80% sure that accutane would work for me and that after my course it would not come back. So he gave me an 80% possible success rate. I have only been off of accutane for a little over a week so we will see if his prediction is right. We'll see what my skin looks like after being off of accutane for 2 months (thats when I go back to see my derm).

I found a study a while back that said the higher your cumulative dose up to 140 mg/kg the less likely it is to come back (after that it didn't seem to make a diff.).

But I read in the same study that it is not related to how severe your acne was before Accutane.

For example I had mild acne that should have never gotten 'tane in the first place but I was able to get it. After my course (127 mg/kg), I had blackheads on my nose again in 1 week, and a few small pimples a week since then. It's been 2 months and the acne seems to be coming back.

Others have severe cystic acne and are cured for life after 1 course.

And when you factor in the sides (thank God I had barely any sides) it's a game of Russian Roulette...

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

I went on roaccutane many years ago when I was 16/17 and it didnt work for me, it dried out my skin a lot which helped but the acne was still there. So I came off it and went on a mixture of antibiotics and the pill. I know about 4 people who roaccutane worked for and all of them were shocked when it didnt work for me. I would say you might as well try it, anything is worth a try but if you are worried I would talk to your doctor and see what they will do if it doesnt work.

I am the only person I know who it didnt work for, tis one of those things and I had to try a different route. If worst comes to worst, like me, it only dries your skin out then at least its less oily?

I hope it goes well which ever treatment you choose

L

my derm told me that he was about 80% sure that accutane would work for me and that after my course it would not come back.

We'll see...

I've taken 500 mg / kg of cumulative dose for a moderate acne without achieve that "remission stupidity" but what I have permanent now it's an injury in the joints of my knees and that, indeed, will lasts forever up to the stem cells give me a solution to that nice damage...

Greetings :|

Ariel

thanks for the replies guys, really helpful. I know what you mean, a guy at my school had the worst cystic acne i have ever seen but accutane did 'cure' it for good. i think the chances of women relapsing are greater possibly because of hormonal changes? well anyway i will talk to the derm next month and see what she says.

I've taken 500 mg / kg of cumulative dose for a moderate acne without achieve that "remission stupidity" but what I have permanent now it's an injury in the joints of my knees and that, indeed, will lasts forever up to the stem cells give me a solution to that nice damage...

500 mg/kg? How many courses was this?

500 mg/kg? How many courses was this?

Just one and suicidal. Well... I've had 3 weeks of a break and when I started to look at the eyes my destiny again, I decided not to "break" anything. Enjoyed?

I guess I'll see much of you in third courses in a future, soon or later. I'm almost sure about it. It's a matter of time I think. Some people came back to the treatment after 2 years even after a second course but the thing is acne may come back.

Greetings :hand:

Ariel