Notifications
Clear all

Ultra Low Dose Accutane & Hair Loss?

MemberMember
(@truckg)

Posted : 01/23/2009 11:51 pm

I am strongly considering beginning an ultra low dose treatment of Accutane to treat some persistent and recurring cystic acne. I am at my wit's end, and feel that Accutane be the only thing that can successfully treat my persistent acne. By ultra low dose I mean 10mg every other day (but never more than 10mg/day). (see related post on subject here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ultra-dos...ne-t165509.html )

I am very concerned about side effects (particularly hair loss), as I experienced significant hair shedding immediately after starting a high dose of Accutane about 10 years ago.

I have read that many Accutane side effects are supposed to be dose-dependent, and perhaps less common at much lower dosages. My question is whether anyone has experienced side effects (in particular, hair loss) at low and ultra low dosage levels, such as 10mg/every other day. If I experienced the permanent hair loss side effect from high dose Accutane in the past, can I still expect to experience the same hair loss side effect in the future if even on a very low dose? Anyone able to link to some relevant studies, or pass along any relevant information?

Please, if anyone here has tried a low or ultra low dose of Accutane, I would love to hear from you!! Please let me know what your experience was like. Is anyone able to review me to anyone (especially dermatologists) with experience in low and ultra low dose Accutane treatment?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer!!

MemberMember
(@clearskinplx)

Posted : 01/24/2009 8:54 am

Hey. I just started 40 mg/day 2 days ago, but for the 2 months before that I had been on 10 mg/day and the ONLY side-effects I had were a slightly dry face and chapped lips. I saw no hair loss in those 2 months at such a low dose. :)

MemberMember
(@truckg)

Posted : 01/24/2009 6:17 pm

Hi, thanks for your response. Just curious, why did you go from 10 mg/day to 40 mg/day?

Hey. I just started 40 mg/day 2 days ago, but for the 2 months before that I had been on 10 mg/day and the ONLY side-effects I had were a slightly dry face and chapped lips. I saw no hair loss in those 2 months at such a low dose. :)
MemberMember
(@shar26)

Posted : 01/24/2009 6:23 pm

I've been on 60MG twice and i've never experienced anything other than some dryness, i think when the dosage is higher its more likely to have hair loss but it just really varies from person to person and so you never really know until you go on the drug

MemberMember
(@max-2)

Posted : 01/25/2009 3:12 am

If you are worry about hair loss then do not take accutane, if not, then take it as you wish.

MemberMember
(@truckg)

Posted : 02/03/2009 6:57 pm

Do you (or does anyone else reading) have any information or links to relevant studies or even discussions/posts on this board or elsewhere that discuss the potential for side effects (such as hair loss) at various doses? Would there still be the potential for Accutane-induced hair loss at even very low doses, such as 10mg/day or less?

Thank you for any info you guys can share!!

If you are worry about hair loss then do not take accutane, if not, then take it as you wish.
MemberMember
(@josie8888)

Posted : 11/30/2011 4:21 pm

im the same i really want to know if if cause hair loss as mine fell out badly on the high course... does any one know???????????????? x

MemberMember
(@luc_nic)

Posted : 12/01/2011 4:21 pm

im really interested in the ultra low dose over a long period type of course too! any info anyone has would be great!

MemberMember
(@19drei19)

Posted : 12/04/2011 8:58 am

i dont know maybe its just hereditary again too cause im asian i dont suffer hair loss

MemberMember
(@satish141986)

Posted : 11/27/2012 11:58 am

i also want to know anyone try ultra low dosage like 5 mg every other day and face any side effect like hair loss specially. please update .i am taking 5 mg every other day now. i am worried if still i can have hair loss..

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 02/03/2013 8:05 pm

I was mostly on 20mg for 7 month and a half and I started loosing hair straight after finishing the course. It got better since.:)

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 02/04/2013 3:07 pm

before you take accutane you have to be aware that hair loss and fall is a side effect of accutane. My doctor even told me this, she even said some patients even tell her they dont care about their hair, they just want clear skin. So if you are worried about hair loss, you would be constantly worried about it falling out while taking your medication and you would always be anxious about it, which isn't good for your frame of mind.

Another thing, i asked my doctor to low dose me on 10mg and she said that it wouldn't 'cure' the acne that way, and in order to achieve long term remission or whatever of the acne i would have to take a cumulative dose according to my weight STARTING at the lowest possible dose (about 20 mg) and she said for my weight and height she estimated my cumulative dosage at 30 mg and i would have to take it for about 3-6 months, i'm not sure. She said to me, why would you low dose and have to stay on it for a long time, and suffer, for no results in the end in terms of clearance of acne? you aren't supposed to be on accutane for a long time as well.

i have been in exactly the same situation as you, worried about the side effects (hair loss) and thought about low dosing. I dont know how much it will help you, but you have to think about whats best for your situation, you know yourself best, just be prepared for any thinning of the hair if you decide to take it. Not everyones falls, but its a common side effect. for females it is easier to control acne through hormonal methods and cover the spots with make up etc, but there is no way you can cover up hair fall and hair loss. it also runs in the family which is why i decided to stay away from it, i didn't want one problem coming up after potentially fixing one.

MemberMember
(@ms10)

Posted : 04/04/2022 10:23 pm

On 1/23/2009 at 8:51 PM, truckg said:

I am strongly considering beginning an ultra low dose treatment of Accutane to treat some persistent and recurring cystic acne. I am at my wit's end, and feel that Accutane be the only thing that can successfully treat my persistent acne. By ultra low dose I mean 10mg every other day (but never more than 10mg/day). (see related post on subject here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ultra-dos...ne-t165509.html )

I am very concerned about side effects (particularly hair loss), as I experienced significant hair shedding immediately after starting a high dose of Accutane about 10 years ago.

I have read that many Accutane side effects are supposed to be dose-dependent, and perhaps less common at much lower dosages. My question is whether anyone has experienced side effects (in particular, hair loss) at low and ultra low dosage levels, such as 10mg/every other day. If I experienced the permanent hair loss side effect from high dose Accutane in the past, can I still expect to experience the same hair loss side effect in the future if even on a very low dose? Anyone able to link to some relevant studies, or pass along any relevant information?

Please, if anyone here has tried a low or ultra low dose of Accutane, I would love to hear from you!! Please let me know what your experience was like. Is anyone able to review me to anyone (especially dermatologists) with experience in low and ultra low dose Accutane treatment?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer!!

Hi there! I was wondering if you ever tried the 10mg every other day and if you had any hair loss on it? I really want to do 20mg weekly! Please let me know. Thanks :)