Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pandaboy

Why does fasting help?

I have tried fasting for 3 days at a time, and each time I have noticed extreme improvements in my skin (i.e. no new breakouts during the fasting period). However as soon as I start eating again the breakouts eventually start happening again.

Can someone explain what this means? Does this mean I have a food allergy problem? Or maybe a leaky gut issue? Maybe cos of my damaged gut food is entering my blood stream causing blood toxemia and toxins to expell through the skin instead of through the colon??

Please help!

im no expert, but i assume u might have some food allergies u might not be aware of, and also do u have regular bowel movements everyday? because if u think about it, u eat everyday, so u should poop everyday, otherwise the toxins or whatever just build up and that's not healthy. Also i dont know about u, but i avoid dairy, eggs, red meat, and seafood cause whenever i eat those, i tend to break out.

Yes I have regular bowel movements, once a day so I dont think this is the problem.

Maybe I need to have a food allergy test. Can someone recommend what sort of test I need? Should I go to the nautropath and get some tests done? What should I ask for?

to acheive permenantly clear skin, you'll have to work your way up to fasts of 30-40 days

the fact that your doing some shorter fasts right now is good..it means your body is doing some smaller scale detoxing and is getting used to being without food for a time

I suggest your next fast be 10-14 days..and than after that one, do a fast for however long your body needs to. This means that once your hunger pains go away[usually after the first few days] don't start eating until you start getting hungry again. When your body starts getting hungry again, this can be anywhere after 30 or 40 days, it means that it's done what it needs to and if you go any longer it will be dangerous.

I can assure you if you do this you will have clear skin forever, as long as you don't go crazy with your diet afterwords, because your'll acne will come back in a few years or so if you do.

This cures the root causes, unlike things like topicals, diet, and also what people have said in this thread such as "try eating things your not allergic to". That is a great example of masking the symptoms

Do you have any evidence to back that up? It sounds interesting and I want to believe it, but through my personal experiences fasting hasn't worked

Do you have any evidence to back that up? It sounds interesting and I want to believe it, but through my personal experiences fasting hasn't worked

you've done fasts? for how long, and what did you do to prepare for them and how did you end them?

just search google. fasting isn't about curing acne. It's about letting your body take healing into it's own hands. When you fast you cleanse the body, and acne is just one of many things cured in the process

I would talk with a doctor before trying anything THAT extreme. There was this woman doctor on the show MOST EVIL who killed patients by making them fast and only allowing them broth soup.

If you arent careful or dont know what you're doing,you could cause some serious harm to yourself and become lacking in alot of vitamins.

I agree this just sounds way too extreme for me to even attempt anything like this. I have tried 3 day fasts before several times and believe me it is the hardest thing to do ever. No way I would be able to last 30-40 days and noway I believe this is safe. I am already extremely skinny, I would look seriously ill if I ever tried to attempt this.

I was thinking of trying a juice only fast for a week to see what effect this has.

May I suggest looking into 'candida' (a fungal parasite) and 'parasites'. The theory is that when you eat, they can eat, which supposedly results in them peeing and pooping toxins in your body; too much toxins for your liver to handle, result: your body pushing out toxins through your skin.

Supposedly 80% of people of some kind of parasites, and they particularly feed on sugars and 'fast' carbs. I'd say sign up on curezone.com, they've got some nice forums there about these subjects. You can get rid of parasites without fasting. Helped me quite a lot, though I am not 100% yet.

Wouldn't I die if I didn't eat for 30 to 40 days?

No, you will not die from not eating for 30-40 days, as long as you drink water.

To all the people thinking it's dangerous...it's not.

What happens when you fast is for the first 3 days you'll be hungry because your body isn't getting food, but after that, your body realizes you are fasting, and it goes into ketosis. Ketosis means that it starts using fat for fuel. Every day your body will burn one pound of fat. When this is happening, you won't be hungry at all. You might have psychological craving for food, but you won't physically be hungry.Fasting only becomes dangerous and needs to be stopped when you start becoming hungry again. Because once this happens your body will start eating itself if you don't give it food.

So the point is, if you haven't ever fasted or have only done short fasts before, than you need to work your way up. Do a 10-14 day fast first. Than you can do a long fast.

Your body actually loves when you fast. It gets a chance to rest from digestion and therefor utilize it's engery for healing and cleansing out toxins. When you do an extended fast you celan the body out at the deepest levels.

fballer, fasting is really good but I wouldn't recommend it to people who are overweight. I'm not trying to be mean, I am talking from experience. I fasted for eight days while working full-time hours and let me tell you, I could barely do ANYTHING. I would recommend small bouts of fasting along with small amounts of food every 3 days. PLEASE do not fast for 40 days if you go to school, work, etc. If you want to do an extended fast, I would recommend attending a retreat. It is probably the safest and most beneficial way to fast. Basically you go to a retreat where experienced fasters are there to help you through the fast, giving you advice and someone to talk to when times are rough. They provide you with all the water you'd need and quiet time for rreflection, as fasting can be emotionally upsetting and stressful. Please check this out, fasting for 40 days in your everyday lives is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Just think about it for crying out loud.

Extended fasts or frequent fasting is NOT necessary in any way. If you are at a low point, a 3 day fast is all you need. I would recommend doing extended fasts of 3 days or more no more than once a year.

fballer, fasting is really good but I wouldn't recommend it to people who are overweight. I'm not trying to be mean, I am talking from experience. I fasted for eight days while working full-time hours and let me tell you, I could barely do ANYTHING. I would recommend small bouts of fasting along with small amounts of food every 3 days. PLEASE do not fast for 40 days if you go to school, work, etc. If you want to do an extended fast, I would recommend attending a retreat. It is probably the safest and most beneficial way to fast. Basically you go to a retreat where experienced fasters are there to help you through the fast, giving you advice and someone to talk to when times are rough. They provide you with all the water you'd need and quiet time for rreflection, as fasting can be emotionally upsetting and stressful. Please check this out, fasting for 40 days in your everyday lives is NOT A GOOD IDEA. Just think about it for crying out loud.

Extended fasts or frequent fasting is NOT necessary in any way. If you are at a low point, a 3 day fast is all you need. I would recommend doing extended fasts of 3 days or more no more than once a year.

Actually i'm going to diagree and say that fasting is great for people who are overweight. But you are right about the work thing. Extended fast are tough to do for people who have a lot going on in there life. Thats why it's best to do fasting when you have time off of work, unless you have the type of job that doesn't require much energy. It's also good to have some sort of supervision if you aren't an experianced faster.

And yes, a 30-40 day fast once a year is more than enough. But 3 day fasting is in no way a substitute for a long fast. Extended fasts give you so many more benefits and much more thorough cleansing than short fasts

Long fasts have been known to cure almost anything, including serious cases of cancer.

There are studies that have been done on mice and worms where they eat a very restricted calorie diet(near death) and this makes them live 2 times longer than average. This can almost for sure be duplicated in humans, but they have never done it. However I don't think that fasting would work for most people do to the fact that most people work. For 2 months I would only eat around 300 calories a day if eat at all. This was only because I was taking these energy pills called anabolic x and a lot of them which you can't buy now or not with the same formula anyway. During this time I lost about 65 lbs., I blacked out 2 times and also if your a guy you can forgot about sex. However it did work for my acne, but would never suggest it. I think the whole reason many people have success doing this is because of all the crap thats in food nowadays and possibly a bad bacteria overload which is mostly caused by antibiotics like others have said. The most important thing I have ever done is drink a lot of water which most likely gets rid of most of the toxins, second would be my diet. Most people get acne because of genetics and if you could know what the difference is between you and the next guy the problem would be solved. I think one other problem with me is something that has to do with blood sugar levels so I act like I'm diabetic and that also helped. Here is what has worked for me so hopefully it will work for others and it's not in any order.

1. Don't listen to dermatologist, I don't think they actually want to help(one telling me I could eat whatever I wanted destroyed me)

2. Drink 1.5 to 2 gallons of water a day

3. Don't sleep on your face

4. Act like you have diabetes (sums up everything about diet)

5. Don't drink a lot of caffeine

6. Wash your face gently 2 to 3 times a day with warm water and maybe face wash

7. Use a lot of Benzoyl Peroxide on your face and lotion for dry skin

8. Take multivitamins everyday

9. Workout 4 or more hours a week, but take a shower right afterwards

You don't need benzoyl peroixde to clear your skin. Never drink more than a half gallon of water a day! Cripes, that is A LOT of water. You can die from drinking too much water!

Food allergy leads to leaky gut which leads to acne. If you stop eating certain foods, you may find the right one and stop acne in its tracks. Common allergens are wheat, dairy, peanuts, shellfish, most other nuts, genus prunus fruits and nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes), along with citrus fruits. Fasting helps acne because it just eliminates all food, thus anything that you could possibly be allergic to. It also stops inflammation because you are not filling yourself with more stuff. It stops acne in its tracks. This is why you don't need to fast for long periods of time AT ALL. Even one day is more than enough. Fasting for a day and then drinking a cup of mint tea followed by a laxative tea like senna leaf tea will clean you right out, then you can try a diet of bananas, peanut butter, yoghurt, 3% milk, meat and cooked vegetables plus tea, coffee, cream, stevia and cocoa powder. Make sure you eat these foods in small amounts, never a lot in a short amount of time. Then you can test out other risky foods in small amounts, like one small cookie, then a couple flakes of your favourite cereal, very small amounts.

Forgot to say I stopped eating dairy, and drinking 1 - 2 gallons of water will not kill you provided you space it out. How did you come up with the idea to never drink more than 64 ounces of water a day? The minimum recommended amount of water someone should drink a day is somewhere around half their body weight in ounces and I weigh 185 so 192 ounces is not going to kill me or anyone else. That is unless your fasting because your not replenishing your body fast enough with electrolytes. As a matter of fact try at least drinking a gallon, I can guarantee it will help as well as give you more energy. Also, taking benzoyl peroxide is just what I do and I'm going to try to get off of it, but I've heard and seen what happens when you do. Id rather be putting that on my face though than taking accutane or any pill for that matter.

Food allergy leads to leaky gut which leads to acne. If you stop eating certain foods, you may find the right one and stop acne in its tracks. Common allergens are wheat, dairy, peanuts, shellfish, most other nuts, genus prunus fruits and nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes), along with citrus fruits. Fasting helps acne because it just eliminates all food, thus anything that you could possibly be allergic to. It also stops inflammation because you are not filling yourself with more stuff. It stops acne in its tracks. This is why you don't need to fast for long periods of time AT ALL. Even one day is more than enough. Fasting for a day and then drinking a cup of mint tea followed by a laxative tea like senna leaf tea will clean you right out, then you can try a diet of bananas, peanut butter, yoghurt, 3% milk, meat and cooked vegetables plus tea, coffee, cream, stevia and cocoa powder. Make sure you eat these foods in small amounts, never a lot in a short amount of time. Then you can test out other risky foods in small amounts, like one small cookie, then a couple flakes of your favourite cereal, very small amounts.

Fasting and not eating bad foods are sooooooooooooo much different its hard to even explain in words.

first of all, fasting heals allergic reactions, heals leaky gut, and heals candida. Eating a good diet just MASKS the symptoms. Fasting gets rid of acne for good, no matter what you do or eat. Eating a good diet doesn't, because you are still prone to get acne with one small fuck up.

Almost every animal on earth fasts when it is sick. When you have acne, it means your sick. Fasting will let the body do its work getting rid of toxens and cleansing out your system.

heres an article

http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

THe main benefit is that it just gives your body a break, and allows it to focus energy on healing rather than digesting food. I personally felt fine during a 21-day orange juice fast. I exercised lightly everyday and also was going to school and working full-time. Maybe I'm just a freak but I didnt feel drained or tired like some people have claimed. The first two days sucked, but after that I didnt really think about food. Only reason I stopped is because I lost too much weight, not that I couldnt handle the hunger or tiredness. I think most people's problem is simply fear, since they have been taught all their life that they MUST eat 3 meals/day or they WILL waste away and die in a day or so. Educating yourself and reading up on the subject first are crucial, or else you will likely succumb to fear and give up. Not sure if I'd do it again considering how much weight I lost, but I think it is the best thing I have done for my health hands down.

THe main benefit is that it just gives your body a break, and allows it to focus energy on healing rather than digesting food. I personally felt fine during a 21-day orange juice fast. I exercised lightly everyday and also was going to school and working full-time. Maybe I'm just a freak but I didnt feel drained or tired like some people have claimed. The first two days sucked, but after that I didnt really think about food. Only reason I stopped is because I lost too much weight, not that I couldnt handle the hunger or tiredness. I think most people's problem is simply fear, since they have been taught all their life that they MUST eat 3 meals/day or they WILL waste away and die in a day or so. Educating yourself and reading up on the subject first are crucial, or else you will likely succumb to fear and give up. Not sure if I'd do it again considering how much weight I lost, but I think it is the best thing I have done for my health hands down.

what did it do in terms of your acne?

what did it do in terms of your acne?

I was clear beforehand but had to stick to a very strict diet to stay clear. During the fast I broke out super bad around a week in. My skin was fine by the end and havent really had a breakout since, even if I eat the occasional fast-food/junk meal. I took some supllements during the fast as well that I imagine helped as well. Look at my past threads, I made a whole post about it a while back.

I'm convinced! I'm going to do a 3-day green tea fast starting...today because I haven't eaten yet. Then afterwards I'm going to do the low-fiber low-residue digestive diet that meatpirate posted on the constipation thread.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Why does fasting help acne? My previous post in this thread lists why a long fast isn't necessary, and how to do an internal cleanse naturally. But why fasting really helps is for one reason. If you have acne, you can't see the line. The line is the line you try to avoid crossing when you eat. This is the line where you can eat BLANK amount of food and not break out. If you cross that line, you get a pimple. Different foods have different lines. Celery pretty much doesn't have a line. The line for carrots is wayyy off into the distance of very-fullness. Muffins have a very close line that many people cross just by having 3 bites. Fasting usually sends people down the road of eating less. This is calorie restricition. Eating less usually clears people up, because it is the amount of each type of food that can cause acne, which is why people debate about specific foods causing acne, and why some people think food won't break them out. All food can and will break you out if you eat too much of it. I firmly believe that acne is caused by the chronic overeating of certain foods due to the stresses of modern day life. Fasting helps put food into perspective. Once you have this perspective, it is easy to see the properties of different foods and how they make you feel, because your defenses are restored from being constantly bombarded with lots of food which can have significant effects on your mood, digestion, etc. The reason a lot of people can be clear and eat whatever they want, is because they know their limit for EVERYTHING. This is not hard and I'm sure youll figure it out, all you do is NOT STRESS YOURSELF OUT and PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO HOW FOOD IS MAKING YOU FEEL.

Do you need to take a 'flushing out' supplement when fasting or can you do it without?

Would it be best to hold out on taking other supplements while this is going on like b5/zinc etc?

Are you allowed to cheat by eating small healthy foods like a banana here or there?

After this fasting/detox how quickly can you reintroduce foods into your diet?

I'll admit i don't have the balls to cut out all the stuff recommended but i'll cut out practically all sugar possible, i already drink nothing but water, and i'll be mainly on a diet of chicken, fruit and pasta.

I know this works because the 2 or 3 times ive had to go without food or a minimum of, i noticed my acne cleared up very well.