Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cloud12

white, slightly raised scars covering upper back and shoulders

Hi,

I have hundreds of slightly raised, white scars all over my upper back and was wondering if anyone would know what they are, and how they can be treated?

Thank You

They are hypertrophic scars. I am guessing your scars are the result of acne on your back, aka, bacne. These type of raised scars are more common on the back than the face. I had several on my back. I did strong aggressive microdermabrasions (about 10 or so) on mine and it really flattened them out to level of the normal skin. However the whiteness stays since scars don't have melanin. I supposed you could tattoo some color into them or just cover them with tattoos if don't like the uneven pigment.

A lot of people say microdermabrasion don't work, but that is only for the face. On the back you can go much stronger and it really works for raised scars, but not as well for depressed scars.

Thanks.

I think they might be called "hypertrophic macules" but i'm not sure.

is there anything else that can be done, such as chemical peels?

I have exactly the same thing. I've had every treatment pretty much. If they are large hypertrophic scars, microdermabrasion and chemical peels wont work. You need the big guns- dermabrasion. I've had two dermabrasions, one with the sanding blocks (entire back) and one with the rotary wheel. They are not fun. If you get your whole back done, you'll probably just be lying on your stomach for a week at home taking a lot of vicodin. dermabrasion's are also pricey and you run the risk of re-scarring/ worse scarring and hypopigmentation(i have this)

if you are patient and careful , learn how to self-inject cortisol, this will directly shrink the large raised scars (i do not recommend this, but.......if you want more info message me)

Thanks, sdguy.

I'm actually keeping dermabrasion in mind.

Has anyone had dermabrasion done on their shoulders and upper back for these white, slighly raised scars, and had good results?

sd guy, how did the dermabrasions work out? where is your doctor from and contact information? also, did you do your whole back?

That bs that microdermbrasion don't work. They worked for me! Anyway, for a lot less pain and suffering, I recommend you try the microdermbrasions first with someone who knows what they are doing.

A huge problem with dermabrasion is that you can ruin your whole pigmentation on your back and never look half-way normal again. So consider the risks and beware of people who put down the risks as small. I have seen people who got dermabrasions on their face and they did not look normal. They kind of have a sickly unnatural pale look to their skin. Quick fixes can turn into major f-ups that can't be fixed afterward.

I have some raised scars (some red and some white) and my derm put me on a combo treatment. I am doing a combo of kenalog injections (to flatten the scars), vbeam to get rid of the red) and fraxel (for resurfacing). I have had 2 rounds of kenalog and v beam spaced a month apart. So far so good. The Vbeam is not bad but the shots HURT (I am also a whimp). I know that some people advocate against kenalog but I have had great results. About half of my raised scars were flat within a month. I had my second treatment today and am VERY optimistic. The Vbeam cleared up about 85% of my redness in one session. The Fraxel should help with the overall tone and texture of my skin and help lessen the white scars.

I should say that my derm is a doctor, not a spa employee, she does everything herself - noone else. I know people who have had procedures done by employees and assistants without medical degrees and they have not been happy - colors changes in skin, indentiaton from kenalog shots, etc. I go to a derm office where it is done by docs only. This makes the process more expensive (over $7000) but I think I will be happy in the long run.

I have some raised scars (some red and some white) and my derm put me on a combo treatment. I am doing a combo of kenalog injections (to flatten the scars), vbeam to get rid of the red) and fraxel (for resurfacing). I have had 2 rounds of kenalog and v beam spaced a month apart. So far so good. The Vbeam is not bad but the shots HURT (I am also a whimp). I know that some people advocate against kenalog but I have had great results. About half of my raised scars were flat within a month. I had my second treatment today and am VERY optimistic. The Vbeam cleared up about 85% of my redness in one session. The Fraxel should help with the overall tone and texture of my skin and help lessen the white scars.

I should say that my derm is a doctor, not a spa employee, she does everything herself - noone else. I know people who have had procedures done by employees and assistants without medical degrees and they have not been happy - colors changes in skin, indentiaton from kenalog shots, etc. I go to a derm office where it is done by docs only. This makes the process more expensive (over $7000) but I think I will be happy in the long run.

Do you mind telling me your doctors name and location? Are your scars over your back or somewhere else? Are they small and round? What kind of shape?