Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
*MEaGAiN*

should i take Birth control with accutane or not?

ok ladies SO I went to the dermatologist today and low and behold i got accutane! well not really "got" i have to wait a month but u know what i mean. Im an 18 yr old girl and im "abstinent" so my derm said i dont have to take BCP if i dont want to. BUt I asked if it would help with my hormonal breakouts. She sems to think 'tane will get rid of my hormonal breakouts all together--like during the course and forever afterwards. I however am a bit more skeptical uh huh. Also my period is pretty irregular, so that makes me think maybe i should. So anyway should i take it or not...any expriences would be great thanks!

--no hard core scary anti accutane posts plleasse :)

It depends if you have ever been on BCP. If you have, do you get the side effects like some women like myself get? nausea, headaches, depression, sleepiness... I decided not to take it with accutane because I want to know if whatever side effects I have while accutane if it is accutane or not so I can readjust the dosage or whatever.

oh that makes since. but no ive never taken it b4 thats why im so hesitant. i think i may make an appt at my school's health services and see what a doctor not just derm thinks. maybe...

I'm the same as Carmelle. BCP wreaks havoc with my hormones (moodswings, crying for no reason, depressive moods) and my body in general (indigestion, lethargy, tiredness) so I didn't want to heap accutane side effects on top of that. If you're not sure how you will react and you don't need it I would avoid it, just because accutane is enough by itself. (Incidentally me and my mum reacted to the pill - several pills, actually - in exactly the same way, so if your mum has ever tried it it might be some indication of how you will react!)

By the way, I was on Dianette (BCP) for my acne and it worked wonders, so I think mine is hormonal too. I had to stop with Dianette as it was too much. I'm now only on accutane and my derm seems to think it will work, and signs so far are good. I don't think you need both.

Side effects of the pill - a whole other interesting topic. I think it's more common than doctors would like to think. The more I talk about my experience with friends the more I realise I'm not alone.

Oh and I'm not on ANY form of BCP while I'm on accutane.

Rachel

thanks! maybe i will wait til after my course to start BCP. I do think i will need it because im quite irregular when it comes to my period but i dont want to heap the birth control side effects with accutane if i dont HAVE to. thanks again, i will ask my mom too :)

Well what my dermatologist did is she started me on Yaz the month before I started Accutane along with Bactrin (an antibiotic for bacterial infections that lowered inflammation). And my face got a lot better.

It helped A LOT with my skin and I plan on taking Yaz after I finish Accutane in April for maintenance. Plus, it served as my second birth control option along with abstinence.

So basically, you don't have to, but it can sometimes be beneficial.

ive been on BCP for a looooong time... way before i was sexually active. it has definitely helped my hormonal breakouts but i do tend to have side effects from the pill (mostly just break through bleeding which is really annoying). im too afraid to know what my skin would look like without BCP. its totally up to you.... it has its pros and cons for sure haha.

ahh i dunno what to do haha maybe i should just do like a lo estrogen pill like ortho LO or something during and after tane. i have to call the pharmacy tomorrow and see if my derm faxed them back....hopefully. haha giselle i know ill start it tonight after american idol. i cant belive i get to start an accutane log! :D

ahh i dunno what to do haha maybe i should just do like a lo estrogen pill like ortho LO or something during and after tane. i have to call the pharmacy tomorrow and see if my derm faxed them back....hopefully. haha giselle i know ill start it tonight after american idol. i cant belive i get to start an accutane log! :D

i would recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen ... this is my 3rd time on it (ive tried about 5 other pills) and ive had the most success with this one. i would start taking it before/while on accutane becuase some girls experience an initial breakout when starting a BCP (ive never had that problem) so maybe you'll get lucky and only have one IB between accutane and the pill. haha i have a funny theory about OTC though... i swear i get more attention from guys when im on that pill. my other girl friends that are on OTC get a ton of attention as well.... but when i stop OTC, no guys ever pay attention to me at all. weird right? maybe they can sense the pharamones or something. good luck on accutane though!! im really happy with my results! i just filled out week 17 on my accutane log

hahaha adrienne thats soo funny about the boy thing. thanks for ur input yea the more i think about it the more i think itd be a good idea to start now cause i dont wanna ruin my beautiful post accutane skin. i guess ill call my derm tomorrow and see if i can go on orth tri cyclen or ortho cylen. i researced and i like those the best. i know one is mono and one tri phasic but i dunno which would be better for me. so ill call my derm tomorrow and see what she says.

THIS IS SAD TO READ FROM YOU GIRLS.

You need a life style change to change what you are and of course you do not know any better than what you are going through. I think you should educate yourselves about what you are doing and then take a educated decision about the things you do.

Something I can tell you, is that your are going to have side effects not your doc or derm, so he does not care about you.

You should read my blog and ask me questions if you have because I have been there girls and I am a boy and that is not the only way.

You need a life style change to change what you are and of course you do not know any better than what you are going through. I think you should educate yourselves about what you are doing and then take a educated decision about the things you do.

Something I can tell you, is that your are going to have side effects not your doc or derm, so he does not care about you.

You should read my blog and ask me questions if you have because I have been there girls and I am a boy and that is not the only way.

uhhhh hmm what? i really don't know what ur referring too...how would u know anything about birth control and acne if ur not a girl?...and my derm does definatley care about me, i dont think u can judge her since u dont know her. But yea i dont know if ur referring to accutane or BCP at this point, i dunno what ur saying at all, or what ur telling me not to do...

Hi,

I'm on Dianette and Accutane.

I started the Dianette about 3 months before I started accutane but only went on it as it was a condition of being allowed Accutane. I would not be on the pill if I didn't have too because Dianette has cleared my skin in the past but as soon as I stop it my spots come back even worse. Every other pill I have taken has given me migranes and made my acne worse... my advice would be to not go onto the pill if you don't have to... but side effects from the pill differ between everybody, so your experience would be different to mine. The only thing is you won't know whether the side effects are from the pill or from the accutane.. so perhaps you could start the pill after you've finished the accutane?

Good luck! :)

if you are another accutane hater... GO AWAY! im almost done with my course of 80mg/day and i havent had any horrible side effects. if you know so much... go to med school then maybe we will listen to you. until then... your experience is not MY experience or anyone else's. accutane has cleared my skin and given my life back! sorry but dry skin isnt enough to make me stay away from accutane. i dont care to read your blog... what are you doing reading a post on the BCP anyway?

As for the BCP, if you do decide to take them, don't do what I did!!! I was on OTC since I was 15, and I decided to stop taking them when I was 19 (I didn't see a reason to take them anymore) so I stopped, but then I started another brand again, then stopped...then started again!!!!!! And my skin got SO BAD! I kept switching brands because I thought they were all making me break out, but I really think it was MY fault hehe :wall: But now I am on Mircette, and I love it, and my skin is much better now that my hormones aren't all crazy (also I am on accutane!)

By the way, I am only a week into my course but I already LOVE accutane! I haven't had an IB yet but I don't care if I do...because my skin looked so much worse before when it was all oily and pimply. And it feels good just to know you're doing something about it!

Good luck with the BCP and the Accutane! I am sure you will get wonderful results!! :)

thanks everybody...yea i dunno what i should do really hmm. haha adrienne i liked ur retaliation against that poster, i dunno what he was talking about....but anyway it seems as though BCP will work fine as long as i dont stop them...at least that seems the general consensus i've been reading. i guess ill think it over and see. I thinking maybe i shouldnt unless my acne DOES come back after tane then i will and see if it helps....i dunno for sure yet tho. maybe i should get my hormone levels checked as well as everything else when they do my blood work.

SO i dont think im gonna go on BCP just cause ive done a lot of research and it seems as though accutane pretty much does wipe out homonal acne, so my derm wasnt lying. I am going to get my hormones tested though cause i DO think i have imbalances, if i have an imbalance im gonna try bioidentical hormone replacment therapy i think. ive also done a lot of research about that and since its much more personalized than BCP i think itll be safer :). Also my derm never faxed the pharmacy back about a different BCP since YAZ wasnt covered by my insurance, so maybe its a sign i shouldnt take it haha

Not sure if it matters since you are unsure about birth control, but my insurance didn't cover Yaz initially. My dermatologist faxed my insurance company saying that I wasn't going on it for birth control, but instead for acne and to go along with my Accutane and it came down about $45!

i was on yaz to help with my acne and regulate my periods about a year ago...i do not recommend going on birth control if you're not planning on using it to prevent pregnancy. it regulated my periods and made my skin slightly better (40% better, i'd say), but i didn't want to be on BC for a long period of time, because i didn't like the idea of messing with my hormones. so i decided to stop taking them after about 8 months, and i broke out REALLY bad after i did, like worse than before i started. also my period is back to the way it was before i started taking BC. so basically i can't recommend it unless you feel ok with messing around with your hormones, and potentially getting a break out after you are finished with accutane. also it doesn't permanently change your period...you will probably go back to being irregular once you stop taking the pills.

I strongly recommend Yaz, if you can get your insurance to cover it. I have only been on it for a month, but have been totally clear for 2 weeks! (this hasn't happened in almost 2 years!!) My skin isn't oily anymore, and I don't have any side effects from it (aside from an increase in chest size, but I'm tiny, so that was a plus). My body has responded really well to it, and my only regret is that I didn't pursue it earlier (I thought I had no need for a BCP)! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Wow, that's great that your derm is giving you the option of going on BCP or not while on accutane. Mine basically said I have to...which really sucks cuz I can't handle the pill. I was on Diane for acne a year ago and I it was just awful. I had manic depression, very painful periods and constant bloating, not to mention it actually made my acne worse. Although, that could have been an initial breakout...I didn't stay on the demon pill long enough to see. I tried to convince my derm that I wouldn't have sex at all while on accutane...I even tried telling her I was gay (which isn't the case, lol) just so I wouldn't have to go on the pill. I'm on Yaz now...which is a lot easier to handle, but I still feel like absolute crap most of the time. This isn't to say you'll have problems on BC. I've always have problems with my health..so the pill might just be making it worse for me. If you do go on it, I'd suggest Yaz. Good luck!

Your "abstinent"? What's with the quotes? So do you have sex or are you just telling your doctor that?

I think your derm should be pushing for you to use BCP. No offense, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Do you know the side affects Accutane can cause for a fetus?

Your "abstinent"? What's with the quotes? So do you have sex or are you just telling your doctor that?

I think your derm should be pushing for you to use BCP. No offense, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Do you know the side affects Accutane can cause for a fetus?

what?! sorry but ur kind of pissing me off. no i dont nor have i ever had sex, im a virgin. actually I'm also Catholic so i dont plan on having sex until im married or at least in a long commited relationship where im in Love....and im strongly against abortion. I WOULD NEVER put an innocent baby in danger. So please dont act like u know what ur talking about, or jump to conclusions bc u see quotaion marks, since u dont know me. I put "abstinence" in quotes because thats the SPECIFIC word we have to type in on ipledge, thats all.

That's fine I'm pissing you off, but I'm not acting like I know you. I think every derm should push bcp while on this. Slip ups happen. If you're devoted then that's awesome, but a lot of people aren't. Some people say they're "abstinent" just to avoid the issue. :D