Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princesspimple

How did you get your spiro?

Hello ladies.I'm 32 years old and have had adult acne since I was 27.I've had some success with acne prescriptions with like,Differin and now Retin-A,although my face still gets the occasional break out and is still VERY,VERY OILY.

I've been interested in spiro for some time,but my dermatologist has never mentioned I should be on birth control or spiro to help with the acne.

I want to ask him about it,but I feel like he thinks the GYN is the person I should be talking to about it because I've said several times I think it's hormonal and he didnt say anything.

My question is,what dr. did you ladies get to prescribe it to you? A GYN? An endocrinologist? or your dermatologist? And if they would prescribe it (like,did you have to go to more then one dr. before you found one who would)

I'm scared mine is gonna say no when I ask even though in my heart I KNOW my acne and oily skin is definitely hormonal!

Any suggestions? :think:

My derm prescribed mine. I actually hadn't heard of it before, but she proposed that as something to try before moving to Accutane since my acne is definitely hormonal. I have since switched derms and the new one increased my dose. He uses it all the time.

I would suggest going to your derm and saying just what you posted - that you feel your acne is hormonal, your skin is super oily, and you've read about many derms who prescribe spiro for those issues. If your doctor says no, ask for a hormone panel or a referral to an endo. If nothing else, change derms. You are paying for this service; you deserve someone who will address your concerns and prescribe things that will help you.

My derm prescribed mine. I actually hadn't heard of it before, but she proposed that as something to try before moving to Accutane since my acne is definitely hormonal. I have since switched derms and the new one increased my dose. He uses it all the time.

I would suggest going to your derm and saying just what you posted - that you feel your acne is hormonal, your skin is super oily, and you've read about many derms who prescribe spiro for those issues. If your doctor says no, ask for a hormone panel or a referral to an endo. If nothing else, change derms. You are paying for this service; you deserve someone who will address your concerns and prescribe things that will help you.

Thanks Zen! :)

I received my rx from an endocrinologist. I didn't even need to ask her about getting a prescription for spiro-- she was very familiar with it and offered it to me before I could even ask for it!