Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sme

Accutane...finally!

I am a 20 year old college student studying business. I have struggled with moderate acne for 4-5 years, trying everything from topicals, antibiotics, and birth control pills.

Finally I went to a derm that prescribed me accutane! I don't know what dosage I will be on, but I'm assuming it will start at 40mg. My course will be about 5-6 months! I start on Feb. 18th! Now I just have to wait until then, which seems like forever!

Any advice that anyone would like to give me?

hey, first of all congratulations!! This is definitely something to be excited about :)

make sure your ready to go with lip chap, and a good moisturizer. Be patient, and don't worry if it gets a little bit worse before it gets better.

Good luck!! :P

We are literally in the same boat. I just began days ago, my acne got much worse already, but I've read that this is supposed to happen.

Good luck! I am only 13 days in so I can't give much advice, but... if you don't get your password right away make sure you are in the iPledge system. I had to wait an extra month to get mine b/c somehow I wasn't entered into the system properly. It sucked!!

Here's some advice from somebody who is on their second treatment. It might make you break out and you might get frustrated but just stay patient and

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

do not pick at your face

Good luck. I hope everything goes good.

Get some good lip balm. Burts Bees or Aquaphor. They both work wonders. You will need to constantly moisturize after a few weeks too. Drink nothing but water as it helps with the dryness. AND DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. Although it may be tempting, don't pick at the pimples. JUST LEAVE THEM.

I hope you can see what I think is the most important part. :P

Congrats and good luck on your journey to clear skin!

I am getting way excited to be starting on the 18th!!! I just made my appointment for my bloodwork yesterday! I only have 13 days til i start!

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will keep everyone updated when i start accutane!

I popped my first pill today! I had to drive 2 hours home from school and had to miss class today, but it's all worth it! I will be on 20mg the first 10 days then i will increase my dose to 40mg a day. After 10 days of 40mg, i will be bumped up to 60mg.

How long will my skin start to dry out?

I've been meaning to get on here and update, but I've been swamped with sorority recruitment and homework. I don't understand why teachers decide to dump homework on students right before spring break!!! So after being on 20mg of Claravis for 10 days, my dosage has been upped to 40mg a day.

I've been on 40mgs since saturday and haven't really noticed any side effects besides dry lips and a few headaches that go away when i drink a ton of water. I had a little of an inital break out, but nothing that makeup couldn't fix. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying that I won't get one, especially since on the 9th I start taking 60mg a day!

Thanks for reading and i will keep posting!