Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
morah

started regimen 1/9/09

i am 33 years old and have moderate acne. it gets worse when i am stressed since i'm a picker. i finally got sick of it and was going to try proactiv. during my google search, i came across this site, and i started the regimen.

after 2 days, pretty much my acne was all gone (except for one i had picked waaaay horribly). and it hasn't really come back!

when i started, i started too intensely. i didn't work my way up to 1 pump; i started w/ 1.5. well, now i'm back down to 1 since i turned beet red and flaked all over the place and it burned like crazy.

the problem is, when i put on too little, i still break out some (though i can't complain too much--it's been a week and a half and i am nowhere near how i was when i threw my hands up and decided to purchase something). i have almost no more blackheads, and no more red pimples, and only a couple coming in here and there. hopefully as i work my way up to 2 pumps, i will be using enough that i won't break out anymore.

when i use too much, i flake and burn and turn red. when i use too little, i get some pimples. so i'm searching for the right balance. i figure it will take me a few more weeks until my skin is used to the BP and then hopefully i won't break out so much.

i'm tempted to buy the jojoba oil and the AHA, but i'm trying to be patient and just get used to the bare bones of the regimen.

right now, what i'm doing is sort of rotation areas where i put the BP. when one area starts to flake, i don't put any there for a couple of days, until i see that i'm starting to break out in that area. so around my mouth flaked, so i left it alone and concentrated on jawline. now jawline is beginning to flake, and around my mouth looks like it's about to break out, so i switched.

i'm still getting the hang of this. i'll keep updating! in the meantime, it is an absolute pleasure to have the clearest complexion i have had in years. i haven't needed to wear foundation since i started (lol except the day i was beet red and needed to lighten my face!).

Congrats and keep up the work! I dont know how much you read, from what Dan suggests, you have to build your skin up tollerance towards the full pump! And you cant expect perfect results right away, so you might just want to deal with the few extra zits here and there while your skin adjusts to the regimen! Congrats!! :dance:

i am 33 years old and have moderate acne. it gets worse when i am stressed since i'm a picker. i finally got sick of it and was going to try proactiv. during my google search, i came across this site, and i started the regimen.

after 2 days, pretty much my acne was all gone (except for one i had picked waaaay horribly). and it hasn't really come back!

when i started, i started too intensely. i didn't work my way up to 1 pump; i started w/ 1.5. well, now i'm back down to 1 since i turned beet red and flaked all over the place and it burned like crazy.

the problem is, when i put on too little, i still break out some (though i can't complain too much--it's been a week and a half and i am nowhere near how i was when i threw my hands up and decided to purchase something). i have almost no more blackheads, and no more red pimples, and only a couple coming in here and there. hopefully as i work my way up to 2 pumps, i will be using enough that i won't break out anymore.

when i use too much, i flake and burn and turn red. when i use too little, i get some pimples. so i'm searching for the right balance. i figure it will take me a few more weeks until my skin is used to the BP and then hopefully i won't break out so much.

i'm tempted to buy the jojoba oil and the AHA, but i'm trying to be patient and just get used to the bare bones of the regimen.

right now, what i'm doing is sort of rotation areas where i put the BP. when one area starts to flake, i don't put any there for a couple of days, until i see that i'm starting to break out in that area. so around my mouth flaked, so i left it alone and concentrated on jawline. now jawline is beginning to flake, and around my mouth looks like it's about to break out, so i switched.

i'm still getting the hang of this. i'll keep updating! in the meantime, it is an absolute pleasure to have the clearest complexion i have had in years. i haven't needed to wear foundation since i started (lol except the day i was beet red and needed to lighten my face!).

Yeah, give your skin some time and your skin won't be red. I would definitely suggest buying the AHA and the jojoba oil though, because I love both of them. Jojoba works great for flaking, and AHA works great for smooth and soft skin and spot treating pimples to make them go away faster.

thanks for the encouragment! i'm having trouble being patient here.

btw, i went to a water park. note to self: chlorine BURNS when using BP! i looked like i had a sunscreen at an indoor water park! :doh:

i also noticed a couple of other people with no acne but reddish faces. i wonder if they are also using BP? :cool:

tomorrow will be 2 weeks. since my face is burning from the chlorine, i did only a half a pump of BP. i already have a new zit on my chin, which i promptly popped.

another thing i noticed that is difficult (for those of little patience) in addition to starting with a small amount of BP and slowly increasing tolerance, is that you have to be ever so GENTLE applying everything (great videos!). when i'm in a rush, i'm not so good at that, which may also be increasing the irritation.

realme, do you use the AHA instead of moisturizer at night?

tomorrow will be 2 weeks. since my face is burning from the chlorine, i did only a half a pump of BP. i already have a new zit on my chin, which i promptly popped.

another thing i noticed that is difficult (for those of little patience) in addition to starting with a small amount of BP and slowly increasing tolerance, is that you have to be ever so GENTLE applying everything (great videos!). when i'm in a rush, i'm not so good at that, which may also be increasing the irritation.

realme, do you use the AHA instead of moisturizer at night?

Well, I mostly use it as a spot treatment twice a day. Yeah, it is really good to just apply the B.P. gently. It really helps keep down the irritation.

i skipped this morning and i can see 3 new zits coming up. one on my chin, and 2 on my cheeks, which i've been not doing the regimen because of excessive drying. so i spot treated the cheeks w/ BP this evening. my chin is also both dry and still breaking out. that means i'm using too much for my skin to take, and not enough to stop the acne.

i tried to be gentle so that i won't get too red. last night i didn't put it on that gently and was pretty red.

i'm thinking when i run out and get a refill, i'll get the jojoba oil to deal with the flakiness, since then i can put on more BP and maybe stop the acne better.

I rly recommend the jojoba oil. It's great. Ive been on the regimen for three days and ive been using the jojoba oil with my moisturizer and i havent flaked at all. Try it!!

yea the jojoba oil is crucial, especially if you are experiencing excessive dryness. Jojoba oil also dominates the redness. I Would say order the AHA but wait a while before using it. Maybe a month or until your skin gets used to the bp. I would recommend buy some 1000 mg fish oil pills and 50 mg zinc. These two supplements have really helped with redness and acne in general. hope this helps.

ok, i'm pretty discouraged today. i've been on the regimen 2+ weeks. what is going on here? aside from some flaking and dryness , my acne is basically the same as it was before i started! i've got a zit on my chin, on my cheek, on the side of my mouth, on my jaw, and underneath the dryness under my neck i can feel a new breakout.

so basically i look like i usually do (not as bad as my more severe breakouts, but definitely NOT anywhere near clear) plus i'm dry, plus i'm putting in time and money on the regimen. i need some encouragement here! am i doing something wrong? i did lower the BP amount because of redness. but this is pretty bad.

ok, i'm pretty discouraged today. i've been on the regimen 2+ weeks. what is going on here? aside from some flaking and dryness , my acne is basically the same as it was before i started! i've got a zit on my chin, on my cheek, on the side of my mouth, on my jaw, and underneath the dryness under my neck i can feel a new breakout.

so basically i look like i usually do (not as bad as my more severe breakouts, but definitely NOT anywhere near clear) plus i'm dry, plus i'm putting in time and money on the regimen. i need some encouragement here! am i doing something wrong? i did lower the BP amount because of redness. but this is pretty bad.

I've only been on the regimen for five days so I can't really tell you if thats normal. But maybe if you stopped using the bp for a few days and just used the cleanser and moisturizer and gave your skin a little break that would help. Or just use a little bp in your problem areas. I dunno that would be my suggestion.

Good luck!!

ok, so last night i used a full pump of BP and it burned. not as badly as in the beginning, but still burned. so i have to tone down a bit.

yesterday morning i put on the BP but no moisturizer, since i couldn't face feeling goopy all day when i was out of the house. i globbed it on last night after the BP, and my face was nice this morning.

for this morning's regimen, i'm going to do less BP and i'll see how i feel about moisturizer. i'll definitely put on my neck since that's dry.

i still have the 5 prominent zits that showed up a couple of days ago. but no new ones.

day 20 on the regimen. i just rewatched dan's video and i see that i haven't been rubbing it around my face as long as i am supposed to. i've been gentle, but i haven't been really rubbing it to get it into the skin. so i'll try that tonight. i hope it will help because while overall my skin looks lovely --it really got rid of the blackheads and the little under-the-skin whole bunch of little bumps i often get (i haven't read what each type of pimple is called yet :P)--the random pimple breakouts haven't stopped. those 5 are healing, but 2 more have popped up. so i'm not really seeing the type of success i had hoped. i'm not a full 4 weeks, though, so i'm not at full strength BP. and i haven't incorporated the AHA. i think i understand now the video where dan explained going from 90% to perfect. though for now i think i'd be happy with 90% i guess i'm about 60% now.

i only used 1/2 pump this morning because i'm flaking a little. happily no redness this morning. i'm now going to watch the video on moisturizer because the last few days i haven't been applying moisturizer at all if i have to leave the house, since my face gets shiny, gloopy and yucky feeling.

ok, from rewatching the moisturizer video it's clear that i was putting on waaaaaaay too much moisturizer. i also wasn't rubbing it in enough. it's tough to get the hang of putting it gently so you're not rubbing it in too hard and irritating your skin, but still rubbing it in so that it absorbs. so i put on less moisturizer than usual, and rubbed it in as gently as i could. i still think i put on too much, so i'll rectify that next time. BUT now my face is red!! :excl: i just hope it tones down before i go to work.

it's definitely not as goopy to the touch, though.

so summary of my mistakes so far:

1) started w/ too much BP and burned the heck out of my face

2) applied too roughly

3) moisturized too much

4) then applied BP slowly and gently but didn't rub it in properly

5) didn't apply moisturizer correctly.

hope to fix those and see some better results!

so i'm on week 3 now. last night i used a full pump of BP, taking the time to smooth it gently into my skin, and afterwards using half the amount of moisturizer that i did until now, taking the time to smooth it gently into my skin. instead of the usual goop i felt great.

this morning there is slight flaking around my mouth. i only used half a pump of bp, but i smoothed it into my face and applied almost a pump of moisturizer. when that dries i'm going to check for flaking again and reapply a bit if necessary. i think i may have put on too much moisturizer this morning; on dan's videos he's applying half moisturizer to BP ratio.

btw, the 5 zits i've been complaining about are healing really quickly and are almost not noticeable. my skin is glowing. i got one new one yesterday by my nose and it's shrunk tremendously today.

i am having slight redness, though. i look a bit like i've been skiing--wiindburn/sunburn.

so i'm on week 3 now. last night i used a full pump of BP, taking the time to smooth it gently into my skin, and afterwards using half the amount of moisturizer that i did until now, taking the time to smooth it gently into my skin. instead of the usual goop i felt great.

this morning there is slight flaking around my mouth. i only used half a pump of bp, but i smoothed it into my face and applied almost a pump of moisturizer. when that dries i'm going to check for flaking again and reapply a bit if necessary. i think i may have put on too much moisturizer this morning; on dan's videos he's applying half moisturizer to BP ratio.

btw, the 5 zits i've been complaining about are healing really quickly and are almost not noticeable. my skin is glowing. i got one new one yesterday by my nose and it's shrunk tremendously today.

i am having slight redness, though. i look a bit like i've been skiing--wiindburn/sunburn.

Wow, it sounds like you are really experiencing great results. It's really healing your acne.

day 24. my face is wonderfully clear. only have very slight flaking around mouth. i now wish i had taken before pics to display this amazing contrast.

i used almost a full pump of BP last night and almost a full pump of moisturizer and this morning my forehead is flaking. i used too much BP. it seems a full pump is still too much. i'm going to use a half pump this morning.

day 27. slight flakes on cheeks and around mouth. face is clear except for a little bit on jaw. i used 3/4 bp last night and a little less than half this morning, since more than that is causing excessive dryness. my face was wonderfully clear for 2 days but it looks like it may be having a few more breakouts coming up. i wonder if i should get the aha.

4+ weeks! i skipped yesterday morning, and by the afternoon, got a zit on my right cheek! i did the regimen as soon as i could that evening, and it's already nearly gone this morning. still doing not a full pump at night, and about 1/2 a pump in the morning. slight flakiness, but my skin overall looks fantastic. if i do more BP than that, it dries my skin out tremendously. i'm still going to try to slowly ramp up to the full dose, but i'm doing only as much as my skin can take without flaking. the redness is basically not an issue anymore, and my skin is glowing.

ps i see that i wrote on day 27 that there may be a few breakouts coming up. they never materialized. the regimen held them off. yay, regimen!

4+ weeks! i skipped yesterday morning, and by the afternoon, got a zit on my right cheek! i did the regimen as soon as i could that evening, and it's already nearly gone this morning. still doing not a full pump at night, and about 1/2 a pump in the morning. slight flakiness, but my skin overall looks fantastic. if i do more BP than that, it dries my skin out tremendously. i'm still going to try to slowly ramp up to the full dose, but i'm doing only as much as my skin can take without flaking. the redness is basically not an issue anymore, and my skin is glowing.

ps i see that i wrote on day 27 that there may be a few breakouts coming up. they never materialized. the regimen held them off. yay, regimen!

Yay, indeed!!! It took me like 2 full months to experience what you are experiencing. Kinda envious. :razz:

i started out w/ mild to moderate acne. ie some completely clear days, most days a few clusters in areas underneath chin, on chin, jawline, temple, occasionally cheeks and forehead. and sometimes a moderate breakout, which happens 3 or 4 times a year and this time sent me over the edge to the regimen. the truth is, my skin is SO much better on the regimen, i have much higher standards. i used to feel ok about the little bumps and stuff (sorry, i haven't gotten to the area on this site that names all the diff types of pimples yet!) and just hated the big ones, of which i generally had 2 or 3 and as soon as they healed another one would pop up and visit a few weeks.

i noticed a small zit on my chin yesterday, and it's still here today, but really tiny, barely noticeable, and almost gone. i assume if i ever get AHA (maybe when i need to replenish my supplies) then i can spot treat that. though the BP itself does a nice job. but now that i'm fairly clear, my standards are rising and i want to get really clear.

i keep feeling like this is a dream. i only dreamed my skin could look like this. the regimen does take time, and i don't really like the smell of the moisturizer that i go to sleep w/ every night, and the adjustment period to the BP (while in the past) was as painful if not more painful than lovenox injections (dunno if anyone has every been on them--they buuuuurrrrrrrnnnnn). and if i ever use too much BP my skin responds quickly by overdrying, flaking, or redness. but i simply cannot believe the lack of pimples and blackheads. it's so nice. i've used facewashes and stuff before that worked for a while, and i'm nervous this is like a dream that's going to be snatched away.

ps there is flaking around my mouth this morning and on my neck and i have a rather prominent zit on my forehead. but still good overall. nothing you'd notice unless you're staring really closely :cool:

4.5 wks

out of nowhere, a big zit on my forehead. i tried to pop it, which was a mistake, and i currently have a large red welt on my forehead. this is the 3rd day. i left it alone one day, attempted popping it the second, and it's a bruise today and yesterday.

on the up side, the zit that appeared on my chin i managed to leave alone, and after 2 DAYS it was gone. i never had zits disappear that quickly before the regimen. also one under my chin/jawline where i've been heavily dousing with BP. so BP definitely doesn't hold off all breakouts. however, never have my chin, cheeks, and forehead (aside from that gigantic one :doh:) looked so good.

i'm having small flaking, just if you look closely, and although i'm not red, i do look like i've been tanning. i use a half a pump in the morning and nearly a full pump at night.

5+ weeks. have a couple of zits on my cheek and one on the jawline. but barely visible thanks to the regimen. i'm thinking it's time to up the dosage. i'm doing 1/2 pump in the morning and 3/4 to 1 pump in evening. although dan says to use about half the moisturizer to the BP, i tend to use a 1:1 ratio.