Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This board has helped me so much over the past 9 months. I've read stories that made me laugh and cry. I guess that saying is true, The same things that make you laugh will make you cry (or is it the other way around). Anyway, I feel like I'm finally coming to the point where I can't hide anymore. I'm 31 and I'm so sick of the depression over the way my skin looks. It has affected my social life to the point where I stayed in on weekends and refused to go out. I blamed everyone, God, my mother who has flawless skin, my dermatologists, Proactiv, I'm sure there are more:) My best friend is the greatest and has helped me tremendously. She is also going through the same thing but is not breaking out at the moment. She has suffered from acne her whole life, like me, and she has bad scarring too. Of course, she hates her skin and cries about it but she doesn't LET IT DEFINE WHO SHE IS! Now, my best friend is one of those people who has always had a boyfriend and somewhat of a social butterfly. She is genuinely a good person who is always helping those around her. So, I guess you can say she is my inspiration. I became obsessed with my skin and I wasn't seeing that I have so many other things to offer and that I am a good person. I also have to stop this obsession because I'm getting my degree (finally!!) and I'm going to be in a business where I have to put my best self forward. Of course, I'm still going to be self-conscious and try everthing to improve my skin but I'm not going to let this acne problem get the best of me and define who I am. I do believe that a person's personality makes them look more attractive. Have you ever met someone who wasn't that attractive but their personality was so great you actually thought they were more attractive? I have and you know what, I don't want people to think I am more unattractive because of my personality because let me tell you if you have acne and you have a stank attitude that will make you look worse. Trust me, I know. I'm single now and have been for a while. I haven't really tried to go out and meet anyone because I feel so ugly, and I know I'm attractive but I still feel insecure about the way my face looks. But, I'm going to try this summer because I'm ready to meet the right man. I know the right person will accept me the way I am. Also, makeover shows opened up my eyes to how obssessed we become with our faults. I'm not discounting anyone's feelings about their problems but some of these people didn't even need makeovers, they just needed Queer eye for the straight guy/gal:) So, I feel like I'm finally on the road to self-acceptance which is really the biggest battle of all. Thanks to all that will read my post. I just wanted to get it off my chest. Peace and love to everyone.

i'm glad you have this positive perspective!

we all get wrapped up with our problems and flaws and it's so easy to wallow in self pity. i think there are too many people out there don't give themselves the kind of love and kindness they would give to others.

good luck on everything, and as long as you stay positive and love yourself, things will work out!