Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mainland

A few accutane questions.

Hi everyone, i'm new to this site and accutane (this is my first time on accutane). I have had mild to moderate acne for about 7 years now which Tetralysal once cleared up when i first decided to get medical attention, i was clear for about 2-3 years but it had come back and i'd tried many other antibiotics which didn't work this time round. So i went onto accutane which i must say has been very good so far, i've been on it for about a month and a half now and although i still have a few pimples i have seen good results so far and i hear that that upto the first 6 weeks is the breakout stage so its good to see some improvement from it already.

Anyway, i started on 20mg once a day for the first 4 weeks and i am currently on 40mg once a day for 4 weeks (been on this dose for 2 weeks already). I just wanted to ask what kind of doses people normally go onto as i look on some of the posts on her and i see people are taking upto 80mg a day...Should i ask to up my dosage or just stick at 40mg?

Another thing, to people thinking of starting the treatment, dont believe all the horror storys...yes you get side effects but there not half as bad as what people make out them to be! Worst thing i have had is dry lips and the occassional mood swing but thats it. I really dont know what all the fuss is about.

Would be good to hear from anyone on accutane (roaccutane in uk), like your doses? did you have bad breakouts and when? when did your skin start to totally clear? etc...

Would be very grateful for any kind of information on this drug.

Talk to your derm if you are worried that you are not on a high enough dose. It seems like different derms treat differently- some are more aggressive, some gradually increase the dosage, some keep it relatively low but for longer periods of time, etc. But I know that, generally, it has to do with your weight and possibly(?) the severity of acne. I am 115-120lbs and started 10 days ago on 60mg per day.

I started a couple of days ago with 40mg per day (32 lbs) and truly don't want to go any higher than that for the remainder of my course but I am not sure what my derm is going to want to do next month since I broke out pretty badly before I got on accutane.

Most of the terrible side effects I've read about are people whose derm immediately started them at 80mg and went on from there. Gradually increasing it at a low dosage seems right to me (but I am not a derm so...) which gives your body a chance to adjust to the meds.

I am going on my second treatment of accutane. My first 6 month attempt I was on 40mg the first 3 months then 60mg the last three. This time I am going to do 40mg the first two months, then I am going to ask my doctor to up my dose to 80mg since 60 didn't help. So if you feel like you want to increase your dose, by all means tell your dermatologist.

i'm about 114 lbs and i was put on 40 mg to start (no initial breakout) then increased to umm 60..then back down to 40.. i started clearing up right away and never had any issues..

And my dear, naive friend, nobody is making the side effects out to be more than they are. You started on 20, a relatively low dosage, so your side effect have been relatively mild. I have been on 80 mg since starting over four weeks ago and mine have not been mild. Very dry skin, not just on my face. Sometimes unbearable back pain that has only just subsided. And my face is now worse than when I started. Sure, they're bearable, but they're still pretty depressing.