Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rosenfeltc

ALCAT and/or ELISA test

So i've had moderate/severe acne for 7 years now (i'm currently 20) and from personal experimentation and research on this forum, ive come to the crazy theory that acne is just caused by the body's self defence mechanism in trying to achieve homoestasis. From what you may ask? well i think it's hormones and food allergies/sensitivities. I've come to accept that there's not much i can do about the hormones except wait, however i believe there is somkething i can do about my diet. But what is the right one? From looking at different people's successes and failures with different diets i've realized that there is no RIGHT one for every person because we are all genetically different and a food that might make a person breakout may do absolutely nothing to another plus not only that but a food that my body and somebody else's is sensitive too might have a different reaction, For example: Oranges may give me acne but somebody else just gets stomach bloating or fatigue. So ya it sucks that fred can eat as much chocolate as he wants and not get a pimple while john eats a small snickers bar and will have 5 new zits the next day but fred is either not allergic/sensitive to chocolate or if he is, acne is not his bodies reaction to achieve homoestasis. So Basically, where am i getting with this? Well i was hoping you guys (real people/real acne sufferers) could give your experience on either the ALCAT or the ELISA food allergy/sensitivity tests because i've done research on them (mostly on the ALCAT) and have found a mixture of positive and negative reviews. And one can never know if the positive reviews are just linked with the ALCAT company and/or the negative reviews are just biasis from the medical/pharmaceutical industry that don't want to lose power in the million dollar industry of acne. The point is, I, like all of u is tired of acne and just want's to have normal skin, be a able to look in the mirror and see my normal self so that in turn i can be myself and i really think that i can achieve this by following the right diet for my body and supposedly the ALCAT test can test me on 200 different foods for around 600 dollars which is A LOT of money but if it can accurately predict and do what it claims then every penny will be worth it, so please if u have taken an ALCAT or ELISA test let me know ur experience whether positive or negative and if u havent still feel free to comment, ask, theorize or express whatever feelings u have on here because 2 brains are better than one and if we all (acne sufferers) put our brains together we can find a way to if not cure acne at least slow it down. Thank you for your time

I also wanna know if anyone has done these tests! I have the option of getting a food allergy test done, but since its so expensive my Naturopath and I decided to use it as a last option if nothing else holistic worked...

well i think it's hormones and food allergies/sensitivities. I've come to accept that there's not much i can do about the hormones except wait, however i believe there is somkething i can do about my diet.

Improving your diet will help balance your hormones in many ways, so there's actually a lot you can do about them.

And if you google take home Elisa, take home Alcat or take home allergy, you should find plenty of options. I've heard of people paying around $2-300 for them. You can even find them on Amazon.

And there's descriptions of people's experiences with the tests in the other, long existing, allergy posts such as the IgE vs IgG thread and in the pinned 'acne diet cleansing and leaky gut thread. Try a search.

hey there, ya I had the alcat test done about a year ago, the one in which they mail you and you have your blood drawn and then you mail it back

the test confirmed what I had previously suspected was a dietary factor to my acne, it indicated that I had a "severe intolerance" to gluten and whey, and oddly enough also strawberry and halibut lol

my acne has improved a lot since taking wheat and dairy out of my diet and my bowel function has also improved. I have also noticed that after being off these for a while my intolerance to them has gone down, eating them doesnt really seem to effect me much although I think I willl still avoid them as much as possible.

I just read Dr. Cordain's book "The Dietary Cure for Acne" and am now reading "The Genotype Diet" by Dr D'Adamo.

The ALCAT test my easy to do, and I received my results quickly. It did cost about $250 though.

Hope this helps.

if you don't mind letting us know, what was the summary of "The Dietary Cure for Acne"? What type of diet did they suggest??

ok I'll try to give you a brief summary from what I personally took from the book

basically the goal of the diet suggested in this book was to decrease the production of insulin and thus other hormones that go along with it, such as the male hormone androgen, i think, in the body

to do this, you not only want to limit foods that have a very high glycemic index, but the focus should also be upon the glycemic load of the food, which takes into account the proportion of carbohydrates of the food as well. also there are foods that should be avoid which have a low glycemic index but however still cause a high rise in insulin, such as dairy and white bread. the diet suggests an initial period, although it is a lifelong dietary plan, of completely avoiding grains, dairy and sweeteners and focusing on fruits, vegetables, fish, and lean meats. it then suggests implementing various foods back into your diet one by one and seeing how they effect your condition. the book is really detailed and is the first place that I have ever seen described the actual scientific mechanisms that cause acne, the definite cause, for real lol, and I would recommend it for sure