Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erin.

question regarding starting accutane for mild acne

Hey guys. I guess I'll start with a sort of background on my acne. I had never really suffered from a serious acne problem until July of last year. I broke out with mega cysts along my chin causing me to go to the dermatologist. I was given Retin-a micro and antibiotics that left some scarring along my chin. My dermatologist suggested Accutane for the scarring and few pimples I have left. I still break out with a few pimples here and there but have a ton of blackheads. My course would last from seven to eight months, and I'm starting on 30mg a day.

I guess my question is would it really be that beneficial for me to take Accutane? I feel like it might be a little excessive and aggressive for the type of acne I have. Plus I have been reading some of the side effects and bad experiences with Accutane as well as good stories so I'm sort of second guessing my choice. This seems really silly but any advice would help a lot. Thanks =)

hi erin :) i think i have very similar skin to yours , like very very mild acne. i chose to go on accutane because i really want to have clear skin and not have to wear makeup all the time. im only on 10 mg and only about 6 days in. if your acne really bugs you then try accutane because it will probably help your skin look sooo much nicer in the end. but if it doesnt bother you all that much dont bother with accutane because it really is a strong drug with lots of side affects.

hi erin :) i think i have very similar skin to yours , like very very mild acne. i chose to go on accutane because i really want to have clear skin and not have to wear makeup all the time. im only on 10 mg and only about 6 days in. if your acne really bugs you then try accutane because it will probably help your skin look sooo much nicer in the end. but if it doesnt bother you all that much dont bother with accutane because it really is a strong drug with lots of side affects.

Hey Gemma thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I've been debating with myself. I'm a little nervous about the side effects. My acne is a sore subject for me even though a lot of people have told me it's not that bad. I feel like taking a chance and using Accutane would be better. A chance at clear skin without any blackheads and major flare ups seem so appealing right now.

i dont know if i would go on accutane for mild acne... especially if you havent had it very long. have you tried different birth control pills to help control the cysts? i never had much luck with anything until accutane. my first 10 weeks on accutane was horrible. BUT if you are really considering accutane, the side effects are TOTALLY worth clear skin so far. there are a few people on here that do nothing but bash accutane and talk about how bad it is. im glad i made the decision to go on it. just make sure you weigh the pros and cons before you take it. for me, the risks were worth a chance at clear skin. if anything, just go on a low dose. that probably wouldnt cause very harsh side effects or be too aggressive for mild acne. good luck!

Hey Erin I had very mild acne in the chin and jawline area for a few years. then the beginning of august this summer it started getting progressively worse and I started accutane in November after having to wait a whole month. i started at 40 mg/day. and have been at 60 mg/day for the past month. it has worked wonders.

Adrienne: I thought i wouldnt have such bad side effects because the acne was mild. but ive been experiencign the same side effects that i suppose anyone else is. i guess because its the 60 mg is going into my body and causes the side effects irregardless of the skin condition. but you are right! this medicine is awesome and gives me so much more confidence and happiness. i love it. im glad you are having the same results!