Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After having little success with most things I've done to my acne, I'm trying to be much more careful in my diet lately. I'd like to ensure that I'm getting the vitamins I need, and not eating things that can potentially make acne worse. I know carrots are very good (beta carotene), but beyond that I get a bit lost, and I'm not sure which vegetables/fruits I should focus on or avoid. Can anyone make a quick list of the most important ones to know? I'll just list what I currently eat, too, so people can tell me what to add/remove.

Vegetables:

Carrot

Cucumber

Lettuce, sometimes other greens but probably not enough

Cherry tomato, and rarely normal tomato

Onion

Garlic (in cooking)

Fruit (tends to be somewhat seasonal, especially as I eat a lot of organic food, so I'll have different things on this list depending on availability):

Apple (usually green)

Banana (pretty sure my body doesn't like this, been avoiding it lately)

Mandarin

Pineapple

Watermelon

Cherries

Cantaloupe (somewhat rarely)

Mango (also a bit rare)

I've also heard various things about spinach, which I sometimes have, although not raw at the moment. Like, it has lots of great vitamins, but also something that causes acne? I'd like to know which leafy vegetables are the best, then...

Hey dude, just a heads up on the raw tomatoes. They have a LOT of acidic sugars in them (so do most sweet and acid fruits including green apples, especially stone fruits, citrus fruits and sometimes papaya, melon including watermelon and pineapple can be a problem. You have to test them out individually. Persoanlly the fruit I tolerate best is the banana, which you don't seem to tolerate at all! Don't overeat fruits.

Berries seem to well tolerated by a lot of people on this board, even those who are really fruit sensitive.

Vegetables:

Carrot

Cucumber

Lettuce, sometimes other greens but probably not enough

Cherry tomato, and rarely normal tomato

Onion

Garlic (in cooking)

Other Vegetables:

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Leeks

Celery

Kale

Collard Greens

Radicchio (good with salads)

Sweet Potatoes/Yams

Potatoes (limit though if you're trying to go low-carb)

Turnips

Rutabagas

Parsnips

Mushrooms (technically not a vegetable but whatever)

Zucchini

Asparagus

Ginger's also good in cooking and very anti-inflammatory.

Would I be correct in guessing that Golden Delicious apples are probably healthier?

I actually have some of those vegetables already and forgot to list them, but that's pretty helpful, so thanks. Sweet potatoes are great.

I have a hard time working out what doesn't work or even what I'm potentially allergic to, because I eat a lot of different things, and even if I do notice something getting worse on my skin, I can't be sure of any correlation, as it's usually just slight.

Oh, and while I'm here, does anyone have any thoughts on apple cider vinegar? I'm probably going to start using that soon, and this site mostly seems to be filled with great results from it (albeit incredibly varying advice on how much to drink and what concentration to start with for applying it as a topic).

Well I've been drinking a tsp twice a day for about a month now. I honestly have no idea if it's having an effect because I started doing a bunch of other things differently,but my skin did get a little better. It helps a little, but tastes/smells horrendous.

Skip the ACV, it'll DISSOLVE your teeth, that shit is strong. No need to apply it topically either. Just eat Food that tastes good to you. If you normally hated raw tomatoes when you were nine, don't eat tomatoes. If before you got acne you wouldn't be caught dead with broccoli or sweet potatoes, throw that shit out too. Eat fruits and vegetables that you actually LIKE and crave and want to eat. For me it's bananas. I can't get enough of them things. When I was little I couldn't even talk but I knew "UNH BANNER" which was Give me a banana Mom. That shit is tasty. Just because you have acne doesn't mean you have to punish yourself with nasty brussel sprouts. Make food taste good, and remember, a little soy sauce or seasoning never killed anyone. Don't be so strict/hard on yourself. I don't really like potatoes, and since too much starch in general gives me acne, I just soak and boil some pearled barley and keep a container of it on hand in the fridge. It is a grain but I can defintiely eat small amounts frequently! I use it to make soup or I'll spinkle (sweetened oh no!) coconut flakes and dark chocolate chips on it with some water and that is gooood. Bananas and PB is pretty much the best thing ever. I can eat a shit load of peanut butter without breaking out. I wouldn't advise eating too much for health purposes (read: I definitely do eat it A LOT). What about commercial yogurt in small amounts frequently? You bet. I can even have gluten-filled OREOS! That's right DELICIOUS. My point is, you can probably tolerate a lot more than you think you can. The key is PORTION CONTROL. Have one oreo twice a day but several hours apart. Have small portions is all I gotta say. When you buy yoghurt, keep in mind the individual cup of yoghurt they sell...that is too much for me. You just have to experiment. I never break out now because I only eat to get the taste of 'bad foods' and I'll fill up at meal times with something healthy. Tonight I made a small bowl of won ton soup (wonton means edible clouds in chinese...pretty groovy). Yeah just stick with small amounts of food and eat slowly. If you feel irritation in your face stop eating. You can be clear and eat crap, but you can't eat a lot of crap and keep clear. Also, eat the widest variety of foods you possibly can. Try to never eat the same thing two days in a row.

At this point I'm not eating anything I actually dislike, so don't worry about that.

My understanding is that ACV won't harm your teeth so much if you heavily dilute it with water and use a straw, but I'll keep in mind what you said.

Limit your fruits to 4-5 a day, and you can opt for lower sugar fruits, like green apples, pears, berries, etc. if you feel the need for that.

As for veggies, cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collards, spinach, bok choy, etc will give you the greatest amounts of nutrition. These are "powerful" foods, and they're also great at regulating hormones, which means they're great for acne. :) When you blend these, you get 4 times the amount of nutrition due to the cell walls being so thoroughly broken down in the blender, so if you're not yet doing greens smoothies (which makes eating these veggies sooo easy), check out my green smoothie thread! There's a link in my signature. :)

My acne has gotten quite a bit better since my last post, and I'm hoping to be almost completely clear by the end of the month, if not much sooner (depends on if I have another breakout, there was one a few days ago). Would anyone be interested in a topic going through everything I've been doing? It's actually pretty simple and nothing revolutionary, to be honest, but I wouldn't mind sharing. I think I mostly have apple cider vinegar and green smoothies to thank, both of which I learnt about on these forums.

Unfortunately, a few of the most recommended green vegetables aren't really available for me right now, but I've been using some combination of chard, spinach and cos/romaine lettuce for the most part.

^ Chard and spinach are both really great, and romaine is too even though it's not cruciferous. I'm really happy to hear that you are seeing results with the ACV and smoothies!! If in a couple months you are still getting great results, I'm sure others on the boards would love to hear what your regime is! :)

Eatting a lot of vegetable (like a big bowl of salad) every day has helped me cleared up 90% of my acne. I also use Aveeno 2% Salicylic Face wash, and Neutrogena Healthy Skin face lotion (with AHA or glycolic acid). I've fought acnes for almost 10 yrs, this simple diet and simple regimen really have helped cleared my acne.

loveapple,

That's great!! You might want to check out my green smoothie thread as well since you've noticed an improvement with veggies. The smoothies make it SO easy to get them in everyday, and when you blend veggies, you get four times the amount of nutrition than when you just eat them. :)