Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Knight_In_Rusted_Armor

What is a positive thing that has come from your acne

While surfing through these forums, I tend to see a lot of people who are depressed because of what acne has taken away from, them or how it has made them act (Something that I have gone through before), so I decided to see who has eventually had something good come from their acne.

Before I had acne I was outgoing but sometimes wouldn't always speak my mind , or wouldn't do things for fear of what people might think of me. Then the acne struck. Like most people I got really depressed and started to slowly retreat into a cave of isolation. My friends were still my friends, but I was too naive to understand that they didn't care about my acne and slowly I became I hermit, imprisoned by what I thought was my skin. Long story short, I wasn't imprisoned by my skin, but by my mind. unfortunately it took me years to realize this but I am grateful that I did. I eventually decided to say what I was thinking and doing what I wanted to do without worrying about what people thought (one thing that helped this was the fact that I felt I had been judge with acne so why should I care if they judge me now). Since taking this approach and breaking out of imprisonment from my mind I have been happier than I have been in a long time and have found a lot of new hobbies and made a lot of new friends. I am sure there are more positives that have come from my experiences with acne that I have yet to realize, but I will update this if I think of any.

Before acne I used to eat like s***, but now I eat really healthy and work out at the gym since both are supposed to be good for the skin/overall health.

Hello Knight_In_Rusted_Armor,

Here's my list:

- used to eat all sort of garbage including: chips, soda, chocolate, pizza, mc donalds (and any other fast food restaurant)

- used to be shy about my accent

- used to be too much of a flirt

now:

- i eat healthier (which has also helped my stomach and liver)

- realize that there was no reason to be shy about my accent

- realize that many girls saw me as a player because i was too much of a flirt because i thought i was really cute

cant remember anything else rite now but i also developed a feeling of wanting to help other people with acne and other diseases.

cheers!

I don't eat as much junk food, and another good thing it has taught me is to not judge people on their outside appearance, not that I did anyway, but it has made me more aware that people can feel very sensitive about any issues they have with their appearance e.t.c.

My skin has begun to clear up, so I've found that I'm more comfortable talking to my friends about makeup and skin and stuff. I'm now helping them clear up the very little acne that they have (although maybe I should let them have it a little longer... they need to see that beauty is not just on the outside and its not just about washing your face..). I took two of them to the drug store, and answered all the questions about whats in products, what is good for you, i answered questions about vitamins, and diets and also about makeup. I showed them my regimen and I put them on it, and they are in love with it. I even took them on the website were I get my makeup, the makeup that helped me clear up. So now all my other friends are coming up to me and asking me about skin and stuff. So I guess I'm now the makeup and skin guru? ;)

My skin has begun to clear up, so I've found that I'm more comfortable talking to my friends about makeup and skin and stuff. I'm now helping them clear up the very little acne that they have (although maybe I should let them have it a little longer... they need to see that beauty is not just on the outside and its not just about washing your face..). I took two of them to the drug store, and answered all the questions about whats in products, what is good for you, i answered questions about vitamins, and diets and also about makeup. I showed them my regimen and I put them on it, and they are in love with it. I even took them on the website were I get my makeup, the makeup that helped me clear up. So now all my other friends are coming up to me and asking me about skin and stuff. So I guess I'm now the makeup and skin guru? ;)

haha okay now i'm curious...what kind of makeup do you get??

I think my lifestyle has improved further by way of diet and exercise...all in pursuit of clear skin but i've been doing it so long now that even when i'm clear i'm sure green tea, water, fruit, veg etc will be a big part of my diet.

I guess also a part of me must have become less superficial. I'm happy about that :)

Well acne, among other things, led me to believe that I was the ugliest human being in the world, and that god wanted me to be unloved. He wanted me so detached from human existence that I could go on and kill every single human being. Then I thought that someone with skin as bad as me could not be human, so for a while I tried to start a cult that attempted to end the human race. The goal of the cult was to kill every human being, until the human population was extinct. I helped a friend commit suicide, by encouraging him, and if I failed, I expected a messiah to come out of the carnage. Well eventually I realized that if god wanted this, he wouldn't choose someone as worthless and ugly as me, so then i forgot about it. Now I'm just the average ugly person, don't worry, my friend did not die in his suicide attempt. He is alive and happy today.

became health conscious, and product conscious.

i am into organic vitamins and teas.

i have also become an extremely empathetic person.. and i not only see other peoples pain, but i feel it because ive felt it myself.. and this constantly drives me to help others and learn from others.

i also.. care less about what people think about me.. because i know i always try my best. and ive dealt with so much adversity, that all i care about now is my mental health and continuing on this journey of helping other people.

after college i hope to get a job treating people with different psychological and emotional problems.

perhaps go into holistic psychotherapy.

I want to heal people.

I think having bad acne allowed me to develop more of a personality....when my skin was clear when I was young I think I was more superficial and shallow, but then when it got really bad it helped me realize that there is more to a person than what you can see...and personality is really what makes a person attractive or unattractive in the end ;) I also take better care of myself because of the acne...I eat very healthy foods and I exercise every day, and take very good care of my skin. From what I've seen, generally it seems like people with acne take WAY better care of their skin than people who have never had acne do!!! Does anyone else notice that?

Hey there, Cookey here! I guess we all agree that acne is a very humbling experience. :lol:

It sure was for me! But besides that, I actually am thinking of switching to a health/medical related field, because, through acne and this website ;) , I became aware of how awsome it feels to have someone help me/help someone else in need. I hope that makes sense.. =]

-CM

I think I've responded on a thread similiar to this before, but other than enhancing a few character traits, such as humility and empathy...it led me to the org! I :wub: this place, so that's enough for me!

Acne allowed me to see the true nature of humans (which isn't a pleasant one). The best thing is finding acne.org and getting to know some individuals here, of course.

I started living a much healthier lifestyle in general. Eating well, excercising, maximize sleep, etc.

I think I've responded on a thread similiar to this before, but other than enhancing a few character traits, such as humility and empathy...it led me to the org! I :wub: this place, so that's enough for me!

I wish I could have been born with the humility. I feel cheap knowing that it took a skin condition like acne to humble me. Do you ever feel that way?

it's pretty humbling to have something this bad happen to me and i have virtually no control over it. it also has givin me patience that i would never of had.

i really hope it once i'm clear i won't have any lasting psychological effects from this. that would suck

I wish I could have been born with the humility. I feel cheap knowing that it took a skin condition like acne to humble me. Do you ever feel that way?

To an extent I do. I feel like I was born with humility, but by having acne, that particular characteristic has been enhanced. I know that I went through a phase where I was very shallow and well, it wasn't so pretty. Whether that was my pure self or just a 'phase', well I have no clue.

I don't feel as if I should have been born with certain character traits because while some people are predisposed on a fundamental level (personality, traits, ect) a lot of your 'self' is shaped throughout your life. The choices you make and act upon are what make up you. And I've found that acne has only brought me good things once I get past the obvious physical issues.

To an extent I do. I feel like I was born with humility, but by having acne, that particular characteristic has been enhanced. I know that I went through a phase where I was very shallow and well, it wasn't so pretty. Whether that was my pure self or just a 'phase', well I have no clue.

I don't feel as if I should have been born with certain character traits because while some people are predisposed on a fundamental level (personality, traits, ect) a lot of your 'self' is shaped throughout your life. The choices you make and act upon are what make up you. And I've found that acne has only brought me good things once I get past the obvious physical issues.

I tend to be too hard on myself, so that's why I feel like I was not born with humility. We both went through that phase of being shallow. That's what I want the answer to. Was it just a phase, or is that who I truly was?

I think my traits of shyness and insecurity were already in me. I can't change those, but I can try to improve, and I do work very hard at it. You're right. The experiences in life can play a large role in shaping our character. Kairasa, I want all the answers, but maybe we aren't supposed to have all the answers because our minds would explode with all of that information. Acne brought my self-esteem to its lowest, but it also allowed me to become humble, and showed me how beautiful it is to help someone else in need.

I am an esthetician. I'm supposed to have perfect amazing skin and teach all about it and help treat others. After about 6 months I developed horrible jaw acne. Did everything I knew. Microderm, regualr facials extractions, anything your typical esthetician does.

Finally this year, in January I decided not to be an esthetician to my skin because I knew mine was a hormone acne being on my jaw and studying chinese diagnosis of the skin. Finally I went to the dermatologist and he put me on a great regimen and night treatments and day treatments plus antibiotics. The other thing was i went to the Gynocologist. I had horrible periods were i went to the er for pain treatment.. The gyno told me I had endometriosis and am now being treated. So i realized to listen to your body, if you or an esthetician cant help go to the Dermatologist, also chinese diagnosis was right in my case!! I am a firm believer in it. Also it help put into perspective what acne suffers like myself deal with and all the effects acne has on your self esteem and all the emotional side effects acne causes!! This was a great and positive question!! I love seeing the good thru all the bad! Goodluck to all of you out there It will get better!!!