Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astoriany

2nd month on accutane

So, this is my first time on any kind of blog, or support website. However, I have been driving my friends and family crazy obsessing over my accutane so I thought I would come on here and do it instead. I have suffered from moderate to severe acne my whole life. It has ranged from small pimples all over my face (high school) to cystic ance all over my neck that decided it was time to come out when I turned 25. It has been great finding this website and reading about all the people who have gone through the same thing as me. I was starting to fee like I was only one in the world w/ acne. I am an actress and I work with all actors and I feel like the only one going through this. Expecially to those of you who posted pictures. I want to thank you for being so brave and open with your experiences.

So I am a week and a half into my second month. The first week of my second month my face exploded! I was miserable, crying every morning, even calling out to sick to work. I made an emergency visit to my doctor who gave my a steroid, to deal w/ the inflammation and hibiclens cleanser. Hibiclens seems to be really helping, I use it just around the breakout area, b/c it would be to drying for the rest of my skin. The breakout is only on my neck, the rest of my face has pretty much already cleared up. I'm on 40/mg a day and my doctor wants to increase it to 60/mg a day when i start my third month. He promises up and down the by the end of my third month my skin will be clear. I just want to get some feedback from everyone out there who has gone through this already. Now that my skin is getting somewhat better after my i.b. do you think it'll keep getting better. Or do you think I will probably have another bad i.b. It seems that some people experience 1 i.b, and some people experience several. I just want to know when this will all be over. I'm also nervous to increase my dose in my third month because I don't want that to cause another bad i.b. Please let me know what everyone thinks about his, and again thank for all your support and for putting yourselves out there and making it easier for the rest of us to tell our stories.

the first 10 weeks were HELL for me... but my skin looks great now! ive been on a steady 80 mg/day the whole time so i dont know how increasing your dose will affect your IB. hang in there! its worth it in the end! i couldnt be happier! check out my profile and blog... there are a few pics there somewhere and my weekly blog talks about my weekly skin status and side effects. good luck!

Hey there =], i'm just going into my second month on 60MG and after the first 7days of taking it i got a horrendous initial breakout, my face was just red raw, sore, dry even though i was moisturizing it loads and got millions of little painful pimples everywhere. So i know how terrible the IB really is, this is my second time round on accutane (60G).. first time i didnt really get an IB but my skin never properly cleared up on my face (because it was my back which was the main problem) and then when i came off that course my skin on my face just got worse than ever. However on this second round after putting up with the IB for about a week my skin began to rapidly clear up andd ever since then so persistently for the last 2 and a bit weeks my face has been really quite clear with just a few problem areas that havnt been anything major. Accutane reacts differently with everyone, i've never had a different dose from 60MG but i'm sure if your just being increased from 40 to 60 then there hopefully wont be anything major as to what you have been experiencing :) you could get another IB (maybes less severe) or you may not. Basically you just have to see, however in the end you should see great results from this drug, you just have to give it time and keep yourself well moisturized and drink lots of water etc :). Good luck!!

So, this is my first time on any kind of blog, or support website. However, I have been driving my friends and family crazy obsessing over my accutane so I thought I would come on here and do it instead. I have suffered from moderate to severe acne my whole life. It has ranged from small pimples all over my face (high school) to cystic ance all over my neck that decided it was time to come out when I turned 25. It has been great finding this website and reading about all the people who have gone through the same thing as me. I was starting to fee like I was only one in the world w/ acne. I am an actress and I work with all actors and I feel like the only one going through this. Expecially to those of you who posted pictures. I want to thank you for being so brave and open with your experiences.

So I am a week and a half into my second month. The first week of my second month my face exploded! I was miserable, crying every morning, even calling out to sick to work. I made an emergency visit to my doctor who gave my a steroid, to deal w/ the inflammation and hibiclens cleanser. Hibiclens seems to be really helping, I use it just around the breakout area, b/c it would be to drying for the rest of my skin. The breakout is only on my neck, the rest of my face has pretty much already cleared up. I'm on 40/mg a day and my doctor wants to increase it to 60/mg a day when i start my third month. He promises up and down the by the end of my third month my skin will be clear. I just want to get some feedback from everyone out there who has gone through this already. Now that my skin is getting somewhat better after my i.b. do you think it'll keep getting better. Or do you think I will probably have another bad i.b. It seems that some people experience 1 i.b, and some people experience several. I just want to know when this will all be over. I'm also nervous to increase my dose in my third month because I don't want that to cause another bad i.b. Please let me know what everyone thinks about his, and again thank for all your support and for putting yourselves out there and making it easier for the rest of us to tell our stories.

I am EXACTLY where you are. I am on my 23rd day at 30mg per day and I just can't leave the house. My face has ERUPTED and I am beyond grief over it. I see my derm on Wednesday morning and just don't know what to do. I'm scared to up my dose and there are MANY MANY MANY MASSIVE AND PAINFUL acne bumps ALL over my face. There are no words for what I am going through. I was supposed to go away this weekend and I decided not to because of what my face looks like. I'm 127 lbs and my derm wanted to start me on 60 mgs but I was afraid of an IB so I asked him to start me on 30 - so much for that. My skin is so broken out right now it is insane.

Hello and welcome, hope you find this website some help to you because I know what it's like - no-one knows what you are going through when you are on this drug and you can see people's eyes glazing over when you mention it because they really don't understand...

... anyway, that first month really is the worst but it DOES get better, however, you will probably have another small breakout when you have your dosage increased but it will be nowhere near as bad as the first one. I was on 40mg for the first month, then the doctor saw I was coping well with that and upped it to 60mg. I had a bit of another breakout after that but since then it has been pretty much plain sailing. I am in my 4th and final month now and I'm not getting any more spots but I do still have marks left over from the old ones which should heal once I'm off the 'tane. It's hard work but hopefully it will be worth it!

Good luck and take good care of yourself while taking this drug :)

Jilli,

I know exactly what you are going through. Thanks for responding to me, it always helps to know that people are going through the same thing. This is my best advice for you. GO to the derm and ask for a one week steroid, that will help immensely. It helps the swelling go down the first day you take it. I also got hibiclens, which is a anti bacterial wash that is used to wash hands in hospitals. I had never even heard about it before my derm recommended it. That also really helps, just use it in the areas that are breaking out. But try and hang in there it will get better. My breakout lasted about a week, until I saw the doctor. Then is started to clear up right away. I dont know if its gonna happen again, but I'm trying to prepare myself for it if it does.

Thank you everyone else for all your comments and support. So how long do we all have to wait til all of the ib's are over and it is smooth sailing. Does anyone know??

Thanks for your response, and also thanks for posting your pics. Its so brave of you to do that to help the rest of us. So i know you said the first 10 Weeks were hell, so I'm just wondering when did it start to work? My doc says by the end of the third month it'll be completely clear. I'm just so nervous to get another ib. What do you think?

I only really had the hell for the first 2-3 weeks then my skin rapidly cleared, ever since lyk the third week i've been quite clear, not 100% but a hell of a lot better than i was when i started. I've never really had a problem with the side effects like dryness etc because thats easy to control once you get into it, i just get horrified by the IB, i think thats the worst part of it, i got mine after the first week and i have never seen anything so bad on my face, it really was horrendous.

The first time i was on 60MG i cleared a few weeks after stopping my 4 month course, then i was clear for about 2 months then it came back worse than ever.

I've had a different experience so far in this second course because after like three weeks i'm so much more clear. However this second time the IB was a lot worse but if i think it was worth putting up 4 for the results i'm now getting.

Just try not to be too nervous about it :) once its over the results of this drug really shine!

ahhh I'm just so frustrated. After my terrible Ib my face cleared up great for about a week, and now, guess what..breakout again! When is this going to stop?!?

Hey dont worry you're not alone! im in my second month and just went upto 60mg. I had a ib after 2 weeks.. then it cleared..then I got a few more spots..

just cant seem to get rid of the little buggers...

it will work though.. patience.. have a little patience and dont look in the mirror for a week! and you'll see a huge difference!

i've been going through the same thing during my 2nd month. the 1st month was great, everything was clearing up, and my skin was actually softer and smoother! but during the 2nd week of the 2nd month, i had 3 pimples. by the 3rd week, I had 7. and now i'm waiting for what week 4 will bring me. i asked my dermatologist about it and he said it's completely normal to break out even after seeing improvement, and that by the 3rd month, I shouldn't be breaking out at all. so i guess i've gotta wait till then. it's really frustrating though because i enjoyed clear skin for a month and then it came back just as bad as when i started accutane :(