Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jbledsloe

CETAPHIL?!?

Hey there. I've been following my regimen for 3 weeks now, and just experienced, and still am experiencing, my second breakout. I started using cetaphil moisturizer about 1 week into the BP regimen due to excessive dryness. I was wondering if the moisturizer caused this breakout.

This is the moisturizer:

http://images.dermstore.com/catalog/100036/300x300/154.jpg

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil (Macademia Nut Oil), Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Stearoxytrimethylsilane, Stearyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Farnesol, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.

Pore clogging ingredients:

http://www.facerealityacneclinic.com/img/P...Skin%20Care.pdf

I found that Cetearyl Alcohol and Cetereath-20 are ranked 4/5 for likeliness to clog pores, but the product is advertised as non-comedogenic?

Should I stop using this product? I loved it for curing the flakiness. What other moisturizers are there that are non-pore clogging and control flakiness? Cost isn't a problem

cetaphil is fine, having a breakout during the 3rd week is perfectly natural, its expected!

^ what he said. unfortunately i am at the 3rd week as well =( i just put a big glob of bp on my papules, i'll follow it up with a glob of aha and go to bed.

Those two ingredients together have been found to be comedogenic, but some people do seem to be able to use this product without problems. Others have reported that Cetaphil does clog them, so if you continue to break out, maybe consider switching to another product.

But, yes if you have started using any new acne treatment products, you might be getting a flare up from that. What are you using to treat your acne?

Those two ingredients together have been found to be comedogenic, but some people do seem to be able to use this product without problems. Others have reported that Cetaphil does clog them, so if you continue to break out, maybe consider switching to another product.

But, yes if you have started using any new acne treatment products, you might be getting a flare up from that. What are you using to treat your acne?

Thanks for the reply.

Correction: 4 weeks ago I started with Proactiv, doing all 3 steps twice a day without exception. Starting Tuesday of this week, after I saw a derm, I'm doing... morning: cleanse, sun screen + night: cleanse, use Inova pad 4/1 to apply pea-sized Tretin-X (tretinoin). Along with that, I take a Doxycycline Hyclate pill twice daily. If my memory serves me right, I've been using this moisturizer for 3 weeks. My first breakout was right before using Proactiv. The second one was at the beginning of the 3rd week.

As a side question: will any of my new treatments cause breakouts before making my face clear, similar to Proactiv?

Also, how can I be sure the breakouts are/aren't caused by the moisturizer? I really don't want to play trial and error for a month to find out.

My skin, after getting out of the shower and without moisturizing, is so dry in about an hour that it hurts to eat a little bit since I can't open my mouth very wide to get the damn food in, haha. Though the flakiness is gone, my skin is still really, really dry without moisturizing.

What do you guys think I should do? Keep using it and hope it's not the reason behind the outbreaks?

Another question, sorry!

My skin looks really oily after applying the moisturizer, granted it's very thick, but even more so later in the day. Is this shiny effect excess moisturizer or is it excess face oils - the exact thing that causes more acne?

Thanks for the reply.

Correction: 4 weeks ago I started with Proactiv, doing all 3 steps twice a day without exception. Starting Tuesday of this week, after I saw a derm, I'm doing... morning: cleanse, sun screen + night: cleanse, use Inova pad 4/1 to apply pea-sized Tretin-X (tretinoin). Along with that, I take a Doxycycline Hyclate pill twice daily. If my memory serves me right, I've been using this moisturizer for 3 weeks. My first breakout was right before using Proactiv. The second one was at the beginning of the 3rd week.

As a side question: will any of my new treatments cause breakouts before making my face clear, similar to Proactiv?

The tretinoin can definitely cause an initial flare of acne - its a fairly common side effect. So, unfortunately, you may not be able to tell if the cetaphil is causing any new breakouts that you get. If you want to be on the safe side, you might try and find one that has no comedogenic ingredients, rather than take a chance with the cetaphil.

Thanks willow! I love how knowledgeable you are on this topic!

Can you please recommend a moisturizer that combats flakiness and doesn't contain any of the bad ingredients?

edit: also, (yes there's always more than one question :P) how long do you predict this flare up from the tretinoin will last, and is it possible that I'm already experiencing some of it right now? As mentioned, I started using it Tuesday. I'm getting some more bumps every day, and it's bothering me. :(

Thanks willow! I love how knowledgeable you are on this topic!

Can you please recommend a moisturizer that combats flakiness and doesn't contain any of the bad ingredients?

edit: also, (yes there's always more than one question :P) how long do you predict this flare up from the tretinoin will last, and is it possible that I'm already experiencing some of it right now? As mentioned, I started using it Tuesday. I'm getting some more bumps every day, and it's bothering me. :(

Sure, I'd be happy to recommend some noncomedogenic products. Do you want something you can get at the drugstore?

Its hard to say how long a retinoid flare will last - everyone is different in how long it takes to get through it (and not everyone gets a flareup). The initial breakout, known around here as the dreaded "IB", can last for 2 months or longer sometimes. Three months seems to be the marker most people use for determining whether or not the retinoid is helping clear their skin. Its a tough thing to get through, I know!

Thanks again for the reply :)

I don't mind where I have to get it from, I just want to get the best possible.

And as for the retinoid... UP TO TWO MONTHS? Wow! I don't know if I want to go through that, especially since results aren't guaranteed. Unless it's some miracle cure that will stop acne forever after 3 months, I think I want to stop now before it's too late.

Thanks again for the reply :)

I don't mind where I have to get it from, I just want to get the best possible.

And as for the retinoid... UP TO TWO MONTHS? Wow! I don't know if I want to go through that, especially since results aren't guaranteed. Unless it's some miracle cure that will stop acne forever after 3 months, I think I want to stop now before it's too late.

There really isn't any way to stop acne forever - even people who take accutane can have their acne come back. You really won't know if the retin-a will work for you unless you stick it out for a couple of months. I do know how hard that it is to do though. I broke out for 9 weeks on another retinoid, Differin. Unforunately, it didn't seem to be helping my skin, so I stopped using it. But retinoids do end up working for many people. If it does work, you will have to continue using it or your acne will likely come back. The same is true for any acne treatment product.

I have a list of noncomedogenic moisturizers somewhere on my computer. I'll look for this list and post some suggestions here for you.

Ah wow, I guess I have no choice but to go through with it... I have my fingers crossed that I'm one of those lucky people who don't have the IB from it. As a side note, I'm using Tretin-X, not Retin-A. Do you think since I'm only using a pea size for my entire face only once daily that the breakout chances are lowered? Or does it not matter how often and how much you apply it? And finally, how long do you think it will take before the Doxycycline Hyclate pills start working? I take two of them a day.

Thanks for going through the trouble of looking up the moisturizers! I really appreciate it!

Someone else in another thread asked for suggestions too, so I posted this in both threads:

I did some searching and its really hard to find drugstore brands that don't contain comedogenic ingredients, irritants or actives like BHA/AHA. Here are a couple of suggestions, along with others that you might consider ordering off of websites. Make sure the name of the product matches exactly what is below (don't just get any Dove or Neutrogena product)

Drugstore:

-Dove Deep Facial Moisture Lotion

-Neutrogena Oil Free Fresh Mositurizer - Ultra Light Moisturizer

Websites (or maybe someplace like Sephora):

-DDF Daily Organic SPF 15

-MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Hydrating Gel

Web only:

-Paula’s Choice Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

www.cosmeticscop.com

-Vivant Day Treatment Lotion

www.betterhealthyskin.com

Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic's:

-Cranberry Cream or:

-Hydrating Emulsion

www.facerealityskincare.com

Personally, I have only used the Face Reality Products - I love both the Cranberry Cream (more moisturizing) and the Hydrating Emulsion (a light, water based mositurizer). In the past, Face Reality only sold products to their clinic's clients, but they will soon be selling non-medicated products (moisturizers, sunscreen, cleanser, etc.) to non-clients. I don't know if they have started doing that yet though. You can always ask if you are interested.

Do note that many of the above products do not contain any SPF, so you will want to use a sunscreen if you are out in the sun (especially if you are using acne medications, as they can make you sun sensitive)

Ah wow, I guess I have no choice but to go through with it... I have my fingers crossed that I'm one of those lucky people who don't have the IB from it. As a side note, I'm using Tretin-X, not Retin-A. Do you think since I'm only using a pea size for my entire face only once daily that the breakout chances are lowered? Or does it not matter how often and how much you apply it? And finally, how long do you think it will take before the Doxycycline Hyclate pills start working? I take two of them a day.

Thanks for going through the trouble of looking up the moisturizers! I really appreciate it!

Yeah, using the recommended pea sized amount is less likely to induce irritation, which is one thing that can lead to a retinoid IB. The antibiotics should help with that too. It takes the antibiotics a couple of weeks to really kick in. They not only kill bacteria, but also help reduce inflammation.

And you are welcome! The search took me longer than I thought it would. Not alot of good products out there for acne-prones!

I use Reparative Moisture Cream from Coren Cosmetics (they have a website). It doesnt clog my pores ( I suffer from closed comedones) and it actually lightens the PIH red marks. I use it at night and sometimes during the day as well if I'm really dry. I'm trying out their products and find them to be really pure and natural. I'm not reacting to any one of them and I have super sensitive skin.

My skin, after getting out of the shower and without moisturizing, is so dry in about an hour that it hurts to eat a little bit since I can't open my mouth very wide to get the damn food in, haha. Though the flakiness is gone, my skin is still really, really dry without moisturizing.

What do you guys think I should do? Keep using it and hope it's not the reason behind the outbreaks?

Having excessively dry skin can cause breaks out too...so I would keep on moisterizing!

I think any break outs you have now will most likely be an inital break out period from the PROACTIV.

When I started using it I broke out fiercely and called their customer service number.They said it was to be expected and that the break outs COULD last three months.I used it 6 months and it never really did seem to help my acne.

I use CETAPHIL lotion twice a day everyday to combat dryness (mostly from winter air) and

I dont really have too bad of break outs except a few small whiteheads here and there.

I did not know it had ingredients that cause break outs.My dermatologist recommended it,so that's why I use it.