Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Genius Next Door

I have bumpy skin with clogged pores that don't look like blackheads. Is this sebaceous acne or something else?

it sounds like milia :)

In your case it seems the oil etc is getting stuck in your pores and not natually coming out. I would recommend a lotion that makes your skin cells shed and regenerate faster to clear out the clogs more regularly. Something like NeoStrata oil skin lotion (AHA liquid) twice a day.

I dont use a cotton ball, i just put it on with my fingers straight. That way it lasts longer.

Good luck!

you shouldnt use any medication without a doctors prescription as you may be using something way too harsh for your skin. i would stop unless you go to a derm. i think you really need just a good cleansing regimen, one that you will not give up on. it takes at least 8-12 weeks for your pores to clear up. i have whiteheads (closed comedones) and its taken me awhile but they are clearing up. you face also looks very shiny. i dont think your pores are huge, but here is a suggestion of products you can use to tighten them up. dont ever manually extract the gunk from your pores, this is sebum but the extractions damage your skin. some gunk in the pores are normal, dont worry about it.

1. mild cleanser in the am like cetaphil followed by a toner. if you use differin you cannot use any other thing like salicylic or glycolic, so thats why unless your acne is terrible, and i dont see that it is, you should maybe stop the differin. a toner is very important after cleaning your face, it restores ph and gets rid of oil and grime the cleanser left behind.

2. if you stop the differin, use a neutrogena pore refining toner with salicylic and glycolic. do not expect overnight results. you will see results in 8 - 12 weeks and people will comment about how smooth your skin is. believe me.

3. absolutely no abrasive scrubs. this only damages your skin.

4. always always an oil free moisturizer and 15spf oil free sunscreen. do not use the waterproof sunscreen

5. believe it or not, mineral makeup was clogging my pores and causing more whiteheads. i switched to maybelline pure, its got lots of water in it and no oil. always apply makeup with a sponge, you can buy these in packs in the drugstore.

6. do not pick at these closed comedones, you cannot extract them like others. the salicylic will eventually flatten them out and smooth out your skin.

i'm a mom and i know that some moms tend to minimize their child's skin conditions because maybe they have great skin. but i'm not like that. just keep at the regimen and dont give up after a few days. it does take a bit to work but it will work. have a goal like in 2 to 3 months my skin will be clearer. good luck.

you shouldnt use any medication without a doctors prescription as you may be using something way too harsh for your skin. i would stop unless you go to a derm. i think you really need just a good cleansing regimen, one that you will not give up on. it takes at least 8-12 weeks for your pores to clear up. i have whiteheads (closed comedones) and its taken me awhile but they are clearing up. you face also looks very shiny. i dont think your pores are huge, but here is a suggestion of products you can use to tighten them up. dont ever manually extract the gunk from your pores, this is sebum but the extractions damage your skin. some gunk in the pores are normal, dont worry about it.

1. mild cleanser in the am like cetaphil followed by a toner. if you use differin you cannot use any other thing like salicylic or glycolic, so thats why unless your acne is terrible, and i dont see that it is, you should maybe stop the differin. a toner is very important after cleaning your face, it restores ph and gets rid of oil and grime the cleanser left behind.

2. if you stop the differin, use a neutrogena pore refining toner with salicylic and glycolic. do not expect overnight results. you will see results in 8 - 12 weeks and people will comment about how smooth your skin is. believe me.

3. absolutely no abrasive scrubs. this only damages your skin.

4. always always an oil free moisturizer and 15spf oil free sunscreen. do not use the waterproof sunscreen

5. believe it or not, mineral makeup was clogging my pores and causing more whiteheads. i switched to maybelline pure, its got lots of water in it and no oil. always apply makeup with a sponge, you can buy these in packs in the drugstore.

6. do not pick at these closed comedones, you cannot extract them like others. the salicylic will eventually flatten them out and smooth out your skin.

i'm a mom and i know that some moms tend to minimize their child's skin conditions because maybe they have great skin. but i'm not like that. just keep at the regimen and dont give up after a few days. it does take a bit to work but it will work. have a goal like in 2 to 3 months my skin will be clearer. good luck.

Do you think this regimen will help someone with comedonal acne? Or is something stronger needed like Differin to get rid of the bumps?

Everyone seems to have a "cure" for whiteheads, blackheads, sebum build-up, comedones and acne. Try this or try that. Yet no one talks about genetics. Reading medical journals and reports (trying to stay away from consumers' opinions) seem to be more scientific and measurable than people's experiences since comments fail to say if their mom/dad had skin conditions. Do you think family genetics have a major determining factor (in addition to health and hygiene) in skin problems? Tough one huh?

Oh, and my question I'd like an answer (medical or consumer) regarding the use of Biore Strips. I've used them for my nose which is oily and has small to moderate sized pores. The strips work great but in 2 days, the pores are clogged again.

Are they a waste of money?

These nose strips are quite expensive and I don't see the long-term value in these as I currently use sulfur soap at night and salicylic face wash in the morning (yet, the nose pores continue to get clogged).

I realize I'm asking for opinions (whereas my previous comment I suggested differently).

Thank you.

Edited by ntoy

Maybe they are sebaceous filaments. I think everybody has those and they can be confused with blackheads. They are supposed to be there.

Yes, everyone seems to have a different way of getting rid of blackheads and I have been trying to get rid of those bumps or comedonal acne, or whatever they are on my chin by trying everything, including green cream, bha, mandelic acid. All I ever end up with is irritated skin and the bumps don't budge. I have done a lot of research on here and I have finally decided the best thing to do is to cleanse with Cetaphil and moisturize with Aveeno and make an appointment with a derm for help getting rid of these stubborn bumps. I've never had bad acne, just a few pimples here and there, and I am grateful for that, but these bumps are driving me crazy!!

Oh, and my question I'd like an answer (medical or consumer) regarding the use of Biore Strips. I've used them for my nose which is oily and has small to moderate sized pores. The strips work great but in 2 days, the pores are clogged again.

Are they a waste of money?

These nose strips are quite expensive and I don't see the long-term value in these as I currently use sulfur soap at night and salicylic face wash in the morning (yet, the nose pores continue to get clogged).

I realize I'm asking for opinions (whereas my previous comment I suggested differently).

Thank you.