Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cupcake_lacayo5204

I believe I have nodular acne!! pic

Hello all,

I have had these deep red bumps underneath my chin after I stared proactiv, I go off proactiv bout two years ago in the summer before college and all hell broke loose, Ive gotten these huge painful bumps in which I thought I could pop but nothing ever came out and unfortunately they keep coming up in the same places and after one heals another comes ip and leaves red marks that make it seem like I have more pimple than what I really do.

I try not to touch my face I recently have beem doing extensive research on diet and vitamins, I am currently using all natural face soap instead of all the chemical laden products which break me out, I have a pretty food diet, and I did Thermascan laser treatments which helped to some degree but did not prevent these nodules from forming underneath my chin. It is super frustrating as Im sure veryone here had felt, my face never used to loolike this. I tried to avoid the derm for as long as I could and finally decided to go tuesday I wanted to go on spiro after reading it could be hormonal, but my derm would not prescribe it to me :mad: and he either gave me the option of antiobiotics or accutane and after hearing all the side effects: birth defects, monthly blood tests, dry scalp, I said hell no, so hesistantly he put me on Doryx 100 2x day and retin a micro gel at night...I am really hesistant that antibiotics can keep me clear, any help please would be appreciated. Thanks

post-93303-1232078883_thumb.jpg

post-93303-1232078883_thumb.jpg

I feel you, I started getting very similar nodule-like acne around my chin and jawline just as I entered college, huge red painful bumps that looked awful and made me really self conscious. I'm pretty sure that type of acne is hormonal. To be honest I tried retin-a, topical antibiotics, oral antibiotics and those cleared some other acne (like on forehead) but not the chin/jaw area.

Then I went on Accutane and birth control. I know you don't want to go on it and of course that is entirely your decision, it is a serious drug, but it is the only thing that actually ENTIRELY cleared my chin area. Dunno if it was the accutane or the pill, but now it's completely smooth and has left minimal scarring even though initially my chin was covered in red marks and bumps and crap. I also suggest spiro.. I am on it now (some of my acne on cheeks came back after accutane) and it seems to help and of course is great for hormonal acne. If your current derm won't put you on it (why not??? he'll do accutane but not spiro?) I would try changing derms or perhaps trying birth control.. yaz I think has spiro in it. But don't give up and DEF try to attack the hormonal basis if you can.. it's pretty resistant to regular acne meds. it CAN get better, don't despair!

Hello all,

I have had these deep red bumps underneath my chin after I stared proactiv, I go off proactiv bout two years ago in the summer before college and all hell broke loose, Ive gotten these huge painful bumps in which I thought I could pop but nothing ever came out and unfortunately they keep coming up in the same places and after one heals another comes ip and leaves red marks that make it seem like I have more pimple than what I really do.

I try not to touch my face I recently have beem doing extensive research on diet and vitamins, I am currently using all natural face soap instead of all the chemical laden products which break me out, I have a pretty food diet, and I did Thermascan laser treatments which helped to some degree but did not prevent these nodules from forming underneath my chin. It is super frustrating as Im sure veryone here had felt, my face never used to loolike this. I tried to avoid the derm for as long as I could and finally decided to go tuesday I wanted to go on spiro after reading it could be hormonal, but my derm would not prescribe it to me :mad: and he either gave me the option of antiobiotics or accutane and after hearing all the side effects: birth defects, monthly blood tests, dry scalp, I said hell no, so hesistantly he put me on Doryx 100 2x day and retin a micro gel at night...I am really hesistant that antibiotics can keep me clear, any help please would be appreciated. Thanks

I think you should just leave your face alone. Its clear the only reason you are breaking out is because, your face got use to using proactive, and when you stopped you face was so use to it, it went crazy. Atleast for 2 weeks try just to use Cetaphil. Eventually this will go away. =] Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, Im 99.9% sure its hormonal and appraently he would not let me take spiro bc he says its for older women as it messes with hormones. I only took my antiobiotic last night and skipped the retin a micro gel and I did not break out.. :dance: but Im not going to get too happy only to be let down, I

think even when I put water on my face in the morning to wash it my face looks red and irritated, does anyone have this happen to them, can we actually go without washing out face?

you need to get yourself to a derm, that's def cystic acne and you should consider some effective treatments. you dont want to scar. you can also have the derm inject some to get rid of them. you need to be gentle to you skin, use cetaphil, then a mild salicylic toner like neutrogena clear pore, every other day use a mild glycolic cleanser at night. avoid oil based makeup and i found that even mineral makeup clogged my pores. i know use a makeup that's mostly water. apply oil free 15 spf sunscreen every day (not waterproof) and make sure you change your pillow cases often. give it at least 8-10 weeks and you should see clearer skin. do not ever use a scrub either, this is not good for your skin. since i've given up scrub, my skin is so much better.

heyy i got the same type of acne after i got off proactive too.. the effects it had on my face after i got off it were horrible. anyways, i had larger pimples on my cheeks that wouldnt pop that felt like they were deep under my skin. when i first went to the doctor, they gave me differin to use at night and benzac ac in the morning. this didnt completely get rid of the acne but it made the amount of deep pimples i had go down alot. so then i went back to the doctor to tell them that it got better but i still had some of these pimples. they prescribed me retin a 0.04%. at first, my skin got HORRIBLE during the first month or so, but then my face cleared up for the most part. during the first while i was so discouraged using it but trust me IT IS WORTH IT. my face is clear for the most part now and i only get like one pimple a week. i also stopped using any cleansers and just use water to wash my face. so anyways this is how i dealed with the after effects of proactive lol hope it helps.

My diet is breakfast= oatmeal or cereal and skim milk(something like fiber one, grape nuts)

usually lean protein and whole wheat grains for lunch fruits and vegetables, fish,yogurt, carrots, hummus,cereal bars, dinner= light pasta, chicken, etc. I only cheat once a week probably Ill have pizza or a burger or mexican, but not too often.

I did go to the derm he gave me antibiotics called Doryx Im not really sure of its full effect yet, I use Aveeno clear complexion pads that are gentle yet effective if I have dry skin that needs to come off, I use a natural acne facial soap that contains only

Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Hazelnut Oil, Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Organic Manuka Honey, Seaweed Powder, White Willow Bark Extract, Australian Olive Green Clay, Allantoin, Silk Powder, Vitamin E, Essential Oil Blend

I find that all the crap in neutrogena and clean and clear like sodium laureth and soidum palmitate all the other stuff I cant pronounce just makes it worse, but Im still not clear. My derm also gave me retin a 0.04% but Im hesistant cuz it seems I break out worse with it, how long until it cleared you? A month of acne is a long time to have it worse than what it was to begin with.

yeah the first month was really bad on retin a.. i started during the end of august and by the beginning of october it was significantly better and by november my face was clear... yeah it sucked because it was as if any pimples that were developing just all got pushed up to the surface at once, i didnt even want to leave my house but thats why i waited till summer was over to do it. i came close to wanting to stop using it but i was like i might as well because nothing else has ever worked so it was worth the try.

My diet is breakfast= oatmeal or cereal and skim milk(something like fiber one, grape nuts)

usually lean protein and whole wheat grains for lunch fruits and vegetables, fish,yogurt, carrots, hummus,cereal bars, dinner= light pasta, chicken, etc. I only cheat once a week probably Ill have pizza or a burger or mexican, but not too often.

I did go to the derm he gave me antibiotics called Doryx Im not really sure of its full effect yet, I use Aveeno clear complexion pads that are gentle yet effective if I have dry skin that needs to come off, I use a natural acne facial soap that contains only

Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Hazelnut Oil, Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Organic Manuka Honey, Seaweed Powder, White Willow Bark Extract, Australian Olive Green Clay, Allantoin, Silk Powder, Vitamin E, Essential Oil Blend

I find that all the crap in neutrogena and clean and clear like sodium laureth and soidum palmitate all the other stuff I cant pronounce just makes it worse, but Im still not clear. My derm also gave me retin a 0.04% but Im hesistant cuz it seems I break out worse with it, how long until it cleared you? A month of acne is a long time to have it worse than what it was to begin with.

cereal, grains and pasta give big insulin spikes, and obviously the pizza, following a low glycemic load diet was the key to getting rid of my cystic acne, had to be real strict at first

I would highly recommend against using spironolactone unless you are older. Its orignal use was for heart failure patients. It has a lot of side effects and can cause heart arrthymias due to affecting K levels oin the body. I have to fully agree with the MD. I know you are against Accutane, but I took it for 4 months when I was 22 and it helped me tremendously. I got cysts quite frequently and had to get injections in them. The Doryx only helped a little. I think antibiotics are not the key to cystic or nodular acne. Since the accutane, I no longer have any break-outs at all.

I have never ever EVER seen results like this, you guys...

I used to have pretty severe, systematic outbreaks along my jaw and temple areas, including enormous and painful cysts on the chin and earlobes.

I tried everything, and a combination of everything else, I SWEAR. Of course, everyone's reactions will vary (the only drawback to being unique, huh?) but I would bet the farm that ELIMINATING GLUTEN FROM YOUR DIET WILL MAKE A DRAMATIC DIFFERENCE IN YOUR ACNE!

I have been gluten-free for almost 6 months now, and I RARELY get a pimple anymore! It took a couple of months for my liver to detoxify, and I took probiotics to support the process.

Be faithful to the diet, and you will see!!

If anyone wants more info, holler!