Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CottonCandi

I think I'm damaging my skin

Nobody is giving me much hope in other threads about this.

I just started the regimen a few nights ago and my skin feels HORRIBLE. There are dry patches all around my mouth and cheeks, moisturizer takes the flakes away but I can still feel that they're dry. My face burns and feels like I have a sunburn and it looks like I have a sunburn, and it hurts to stretch my face. My face looks blotchy and is just overall nasty. How can this get better? I feel like I am damaging my skin. My skin looks worse than it ever has, it's almost impossible to sleep when it burns like this.

Just by looking at your regimen I can already see the problem. Seems like people have a bad habit of applying too much, too soon. Reduce your application of the BP to once daily and see how that works.

Yeah try using BP once a day for about a week or so.

Trust me, most acne.org regimen users go through what you go through, completely normal for it to happen.

How am I applying too much? Dan says to do it twice a day, and I use less than half a pump of BP :(

But whatever, I will only do it once a day then.

I tried sleeping in front of a fan, I woke up and my face still burns.

It's madness because when I apply the BP my face doesn't burn (but it's dry!), and then when I apply the moisturizer it begins to burn like a mofo!

I had the same problem at first too. No worries...just start off slow with the BP application and let your skin get used to it.

Ugh. Yay. My Fiance' told me that my face looks weird and pasty, and that he's worried about me and wants me to stop the regimen. He thinks I am damaging my face.

Good things come to those who wait. Listen to what people are telling you; they've been in the same position so they know what they're talking about. And try not to worry so much!

Good things come to those who wait. Listen to what people are telling you; they've been in the same position so they know what they're talking about. And try not to worry so much!

I am not worrying more than my Fiance' is. I mean I didn't think I looked THAT bad, but then he comes out and tells me I look strange and pasty, and that he thinks I'm damaging myself...that hurts, he never says anything like that to me. It makes me think that it's REALLY bad. It seems like a lot of suffering I have to go through when I have light acne, but whatever.

If you're acne severity is "light" like it says in your signature, I don't think you need something as powerful as BP to be honest. BP does damage the skin to an extent and much more so for certain skin types. I don't know your skin but over-using products can just make things worse in the long run. My recommendation would be to just use a gentle cleanser to remove makeup and then a light moisturizer of some kind, maybe Dan's or try jojoba oil, it has great healing capabilities for what you're going through. Stay away from harsh chemicals. I kept using BP for a few months despite the dryness and it just continued to make things worse. I'm not saying BP can't work for some skin and acne types but it sounds like it won't for yours. Maybe give it a little longer and if it persists I'd really recommend not continuing it. Just my opinion.

If you're acne severity is "light" like it says in your signature, I don't think you need something as powerful as BP to be honest. BP does damage the skin to an extent and much more so for certain skin types. I don't know your skin but over-using products can just make things worse in the long run. My recommendation would be to just use a gentle cleanser to remove makeup and then a light moisturizer of some kind, maybe Dan's or try jojoba oil, it has great healing capabilities for what you're going through. Stay away from harsh chemicals. I kept using BP for a few months despite the dryness and it just continued to make things worse. I'm not saying BP can't work for some skin and acne types but it sounds like it won't for yours. Maybe give it a little longer and if it persists I'd really recommend not continuing it. Just my opinion.

Great :( Yes my acne is light, but NOTHING works for it. I have tried plenty of stuff. I do not over use products. I only wash my face now. And now I am on the regimen. I don't even wear makeup. Now you are making me not want to continue trying :( Garrrr.

May i ask about your moisturizer, does it have spf? does it contain a sunblock material? you should also put few bp and fewer moisturizer since if your moisturizer doesn't contain spf then when you go out on day, you may get burned if prolonged in the sun.

Great :( Yes my acne is light, but NOTHING works for it. I have tried plenty of stuff. I do not over use products. I only wash my face now. And now I am on the regimen. I don't even wear makeup. Now you are making me not want to continue trying :( Garrrr.

your skin type really matters with BP.

If you've got dark, sensitive or thin skin, then get off the regimen now!!! BP completely ruined my skin. Sure the acne improved. But I was left with heavy uneven pigmentation and my skin was very flaky and discoloured. I literally looked like a frikin zombie. Wasn't worth the trade-off. And I still broke out after I stopped.

I'd recommend things like AHAs and BHAs. They're much more gentle.

May i ask about your moisturizer, does it have spf? does it contain a sunblock material? you should also put few bp and fewer moisturizer since if your moisturizer doesn't contain spf then when you go out on day, you may get burned if prolonged in the sun.

I havent been in the sun, or outside at all since I've been on the regimen, I look too bad. But if I did go out in the sun I would use my Olay Complete with SPF 15.

your skin type really matters with BP.

If you've got dark, sensitive or thin skin, then get off the regimen now!!! BP completely ruined my skin. Sure the acne improved. But I was left with heavy uneven pigmentation and my skin was very flaky and discoloured. I literally looked like a frikin zombie. Wasn't worth the trade-off. And I still broke out after I stopped.

I'd recommend things like AHAs and BHAs. They're much more gentle.

I don't have dark skin, I'm whiter than a ghost...my skin CAN be sensitive, and I don't know if I have thin skin lol.

You better check out the thread of my regimen before it is too late. Read out my log and the logs of all those who tried this All Natural Regimen. Don't be discourage of the long wall of words. They're full of true information. Be open minded before you click the links! Good luck and it is not yet too late!

You better check out the thread of my regimen before it is too late. Read out my log and the logs of all those who tried this All Natural Regimen. Don't be discourage of the long wall of words. They're full of true information. Be open minded before you click the links! Good luck and it is not yet too late!

Sooooooo......Wash my face with only water, if it makes my skin dry, which it will. Don't wash my face at all and eat healthy. Errr. I'd rather try this first lol. I want to wash my face.

For years I did nothing about my acne, I didn't use any products at all, it didn't do jack squat. And I eat a mostly organic, natural diet. I am going to only use BP at night and see how it works out. My acne is light anyways.

I don't think you're damaging your skin, so don't worry. If you were damaging your skin it would be oily, not dry. So you're merely lacking in hydration. If you're north of the equator, it's winter, and being in a heated atmosphere can cause drying even when one is NOT using 2.5%BP. I recommend getting a stronger moisturizer that is made specifically for sensitive skin.

And don't forget to drink lots of water! It helps with the dryness and the blotchiness!

I don't think you're damaging your skin, so don't worry. If you were damaging your skin it would be oily, not dry. So you're merely lacking in hydration. If you're north of the equator, it's winter, and being in a heated atmosphere can cause drying even when one is NOT using 2.5%BP. I recommend getting a stronger moisturizer that is made specifically for sensitive skin.

And don't forget to drink lots of water! It helps with the dryness and the blotchiness!

I live in Florida. It sucks.

Anyways I decided to only use BP on my forehead, chin, and jawline, because I rarely get acne on my cheeks, and that's where it burns the most. It burns on my chin and around my mouth too but it's more tolerable than my cheeks. Are you saying Cetaphil cream isn't good enough?

Anyways I decided to only use BP on my forehead, chin, and jawline, because I rarely get acne on my cheeks, and that's where it burns the most. It burns on my chin and around my mouth too but it's more tolerable than my cheeks. Are you saying Cetaphil cream isn't good enough?

I had a really similar reaction to Retin-A, where I had discomfort all over my face no matter where I used it. Unfortunately my solution was to throw the stuff in the trash and try something new. It could be that the product you're using is especially reactive against your skin (for instance, I used Differin for months and never had any trouble). It might not be the active ingredient-- it could be whatever gel or lotion base the company uses to mount the active ingredient.

As for Cetaphil, that stuff usually works pretty well. I'd have to guess that it's the acne product that simply doesn't agree with your skin.

I had a really similar reaction to Retin-A, where I had discomfort all over my face no matter where I used it. Unfortunately my solution was to throw the stuff in the trash and try something new. It could be that the product you're using is especially reactive against your skin (for instance, I used Differin for months and never had any trouble). It might not be the active ingredient-- it could be whatever gel or lotion base the company uses to mount the active ingredient.

As for Cetaphil, that stuff usually works pretty well. I'd have to guess that it's the acne product that simply doesn't agree with your skin.

Well I'm on Dan's regimen, I use his BP. My skin is fine when I put the BP on.....except it gets very dry, then I put on my moisturizer and it burns to high hell and makes my face red. I've tried 3 different lotions, they all do this.

Well I'm on Dan's regimen, I use his BP. My skin is fine when I put the BP on.....except it gets very dry, then I put on my moisturizer and it burns to high hell and makes my face red. I've tried 3 different lotions, they all do this.

Does it burn like sunburn, or does it burn like when you shave your legs and then rub lotion on them?

What about aloe vera? If you use it make sure it's CLEAR and 100% aloe. The green stuff a) has alcohol in it and b) turns your skin green. You'll have to apply it several times a day, but who doesn't love that chilly aloe feeling? (Hey, if you live in Florida, I recommend putting it in the fridge while you're out. Coming home to a refridgerated aloe rubdown is fantastic! And it will probably feel nice on your face.)

Does it burn like sunburn, or does it burn like when you shave your legs and then rub lotion on them?

What about aloe vera? If you use it make sure it's CLEAR and 100% aloe. The green stuff a) has alcohol in it and b) turns your skin green. You'll have to apply it several times a day, but who doesn't love that chilly aloe feeling? (Hey, if you live in Florida, I recommend putting it in the fridge while you're out. Coming home to a refridgerated aloe rubdown is fantastic! And it will probably feel nice on your face.)

It looks like a weird sunburn.....I'm not sure if it feels like one. Maybe, and I am not sure about the leg thing, my legs don't burn after I shave and apply lotion to them. All I know is that my face BURNS, LOL. It goes away in a few hours though. I just started the regimen a few days ago, so my skin isn't clear yet and I can't use aloe vera, dang it :( lol.

this is totally normal when you first start the regimen. i know it's tough, but you'll get through it. i had a very similar reaction to bp when i first started doing it too, and even after being on the regimen for a couple months, i still had redness that wouldn't go away, particularly on my neck where i didn't even put bp. i also reduced my bp application to nightly only, and my skin did a lot better. here's what i do:

morning

-just a quick rinse with warm water

night

-remove make-up with mac cleanse-off oil

-wash with cetaphil gentle

-apply 3/4 pump dan's bp all over face

-apply pea sized dollop of aha+

-moisturize with 6 drops jojoba oil mixed with 3/4 pump cetaphil lotion

obviously i use different products, and how i do things might not work for you, you'll just have to tweak things around until you find a regimen that works. as far as the additional products i use, i would not recommend using any sort of aha product until your skin adjusts to the bp. jojoba oil on the other hand, is an awesome product that you can use now if you want. it helps a lot with flakes and i found it to reduce my redness a lot. to just give it a test drive, i think trader joes and whole foods both sell small bottles of desert essence jojoba oil just to try it out to see if you like it.

Ok... I have a darker complexion for a white guy, mild to moderate but STUBBORN acne (I'm 27 now, had it on and off since I was 13).

I've been on the regimen for about 6 weeks, doing it just once a day for now. The past two weeks I went up to 2 pumps of BP. Yesterday my skin started to feel really tight; it had flakes and lines and looked like the skin of an old man. Today it is worse! It hurts to move my face and it looks awful and really unhealthy.

I realize after reading this thread that maybe I've been using too much BP. My question is: should I stop the BP for a few days? Should I moisturize? I tried to moisturize the hell out of it yesterday, and it didn't seem to make much difference.

I've tried just about everything else, besides Dan's regimen, with no success. But this thread is making me wary of BP. I might rather just cover up my acne with makeup than try to get rid of it.

One more side-question: Is it kosher to only use BP on "problem areas" of your face?

Thanks

I have had the same burning for a month or so now, my face is fine til I put on the moisturizer and the weird thing is there have been a few times when it didn't burn but my face is still red like a sunburn every day :( but I have noticed improvements in my skin so I continue to use it and I only use about a pump or so of DK bp and then about the same for moisturizer but the burning for me gos away within minutes, may I also be using to much bp for now? should I cut down to just night like cottoncandi is?

I also hope you find something that will help cottoncandi I will be watching this thread very closley as you have the same side effects as me but worse it seems and you have light acne where as I have mild/moderate acne and it doesn't burn as much :confused:

dan's regimen requires time and patience to work. i'm no expert, but from my experience, if after a month or so, you're still having problems with bp, it could be a couple different things:

1) you're using too much bp for your skin

2) either you're not using enough moisturizer or your moisturizer just isn't cutting it

3) your cleanser might be too drying (make sure it's gentle and not medicated)

4) you've added a variable to the regimen that your skin doesn't like