Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kayski3223

Images removed

Foolishly, I have wrangled an Aczone prescription out of my doctor. Pretty dumb I think, because it cost me $115 (less than some other paid without insurance, but still - $115). I'm picking up my prescription tomorrow, and you Aczone representatives can bet your asses I'm going to be making detailed posts about my experience with this med. Most of the posters who have posted here who didn't like Aczone let it go at one or two sentences. I will not.

For the record, Aczone is for inflammatory acne. Their best study showed that only 48% of participants with inflamed acne saw a reduction in their lesions, and no study explicitly says that participants cleared up completely. This stuff is not, as aswa said, "liquid Accutane." Give me a break. I haven't even tried the stuff yet and I'm skeptical. I'm pretty much on this in the hopes that my acne will calm down a little bit while I try to wrangle real Accutane (not the liquid variety) out of my dermatologist in May.

I start Aczone tomorrow, and I will keep you all posted.

I asked this new dermatologist to prescribe me Aczone and he gave me Ziana gel. He told me they're all the same combinations of products but 4 weeks later my skin is still purging slowly. I think I'm going to ask my usual dermatologist for this since your face looks great!

Foolishly, I have wrangled an Aczone prescription out of my doctor. Pretty dumb I think, because it cost me $115 (less than some other paid without insurance, but still - $115). I'm picking up my prescription tomorrow, and you Aczone representatives can bet your asses I'm going to be making detailed posts about my experience with this med. Most of the posters who have posted here who didn't like Aczone let it go at one or two sentences. I will not.

For the record, Aczone is for inflammatory acne. Their best study showed that only 48% of participants with inflamed acne saw a reduction in their lesions, and no study explicitly says that participants cleared up completely. This stuff is not, as aswa said, "liquid Accutane." Give me a break. I haven't even tried the stuff yet and I'm skeptical. I'm pretty much on this in the hopes that my acne will calm down a little bit while I try to wrangle real Accutane (not the liquid variety) out of my dermatologist in May.

I start Aczone tomorrow, and I will keep you all posted.

I just want to update everyone on my ACZone use...

It's now been just over 6 weeks of using ACZone twice a day along with Tazorac in the PM.

I initially started the ACZone when I was suffering from a stress induced/hormonal acne flarup and had 5-7 active pimples on my forehead and nose.

Since then those pimples have subsided and I just got my 1st pimple yesterday since starting ACZone... So I think it has been working pretty well. 1 new pimple in 6 weeks yay!

...I now just need to get rid of all the dark spots from my previous breakout and life will be good!

I'm interested to hear more from ACZone users and their feedback. There's not much out on the net since it's a relatively new drug. I hope to hear more in the future!

...I forgot to mention:

The tube doesn't last long at all for me. I was out of my 1st tube in about 2 weeks. Since getting my 2nd tube I use 3 very small dabs for my whole face per application. I'm guessing this 2nd tube will last me a total of about 5-6 weeks if I'm lucky. I try my best now to spread it out as much as possible since I can only get a new tube every so often because of my insurance company requirements. Blah! Fortunately it's only $50/tube for me while I see others $pending much more!!! UGH!

Ziana is absolutely not the same thing as Aczone. I just looked up what Ziana was, and it's basically clindamycin (an antibiotic) and isotretinoin (a retinoid). Clindamycin is supposed to reduce inflammation by killing bacteria topically (again, wouldn't work with uninflamed acne), and the isotretinoin should help slough off skin cells and get rid of uninflamed pimples. Actually sounds like a treatment that gets at both types of acne, but clindamycin isn't all that potent for many people. Who knows. The purging you're experiencing is probably from the retinoid component, it makes everyone break out before things get better.

Aczone's main ingredient is dapsone, which is a drug that's been administered orally (usually) to treat leprosy. It's supposed to decrease inflammation, which is why it's not very effective for uninflamed acne (only about 30% of people experienced any reduction in uninflamed acne in Aczone trials). Meaning Aczone will probably only work on things like papules and pustules - I'm skeptical of how effective it will be for cysts and nodules, though they count as 'inflamed acne.' It's supposed be primarily for mild/moderate acne, so severe cases should probably look elsewhere.

Anyway, I start this stuff tonight. I'll keep you all posted.

ETA: damn, I just got the bottle. It's tiny. It's smaller than your standard cell phone, like less than 3 inches across. $115 for this? Jesus H Christ.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to stick it out with Ziana, I think it has finally started improving my skin after 4 weeks, now I just have to fade the red marks on my face.

Haven't been on this site for months. I'm going to the derm tomorrow (finally, after waiting 3 months...but I don't know if I should be excited....they messed me up years ago and now my acne is resistant) but I'm going to ask about this even though my acne is severe....the only thing that sort of controlled it was bp but I'm tired of using it because it really dulls my skin and has given me premature wrinkles........I'm scared of using accutane, anyone with severe acne tried this?

I am moving this thread to the Mild/Moderate forum.

I do NOT believe that the OP is an Aczone rep, and I do not want to see any more unsubstantiated accusations flying. At the same time, I have looked at the pictures, and the OP clearly does not have severe or cystic acne.

Aczone is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. It's going to work best against mild/moderate inflamed acne. It's not the best choice for someone with comedonal or cystic acne.

And as I think we all know by now ...... there are no universal miracle products for acne.

duchamp, yes my acne is severe. Prior to seeing the derm I stopped using bp (two weeks ago) because I wanted him to see me skin "broken out" more than usual. The derm didn't hesitate to prescribe accutane. I'm supposed to start next month but I'm still not sure. I asked about aczone, and he said it's usually prescribed post-accutane....for now he put me on minocycline (which I've tried in the past) and tretinoin cream (which messed up my face in the past) and bp in the mornings 5% for the month (end of May). This will be for a month until I start accutane.....I don't know if this is a good combo.....btw, sorry if I changed the forum's topic....maybe it can also be copied to a more convenient post? And he also said aczone won't help me =(... at least not now, but after accutane perhaps....man I hate acne.

Wow, I can't believe you've gotten that much success in 2 weeks! Although, now you have obviously been on it for longer.

So umm I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I've been on aczone with differin for a month already- you can see my log if you want (link in my signature) but anyways..

I have seen an improvement in my skin while using aczone and differin. Before using the combination before, my dermatologist prescribed me only the differin in early February. I had been using it, and only that topical retinoid till late March when I called my derm telling him my skin didn't change- didn't get worse and didn't get better. He gave me aczone to apply before putting on my differin to help reduce the size of some of my pimples. I remember while using my differin + aczone getting 2 papules on the side of my forehead. And by 2 days, they dried up and were gone. I was astonished by how well they cleared up- but of course the rest of my face wasn't cleared up yet since that happened in like week 1.

I haven't seen such an improvement in my skin like the poster did in such a little time. There are less pimples on my face, but being on for aczone + differin for 1 month my skin is only about 35% clear. I have moderate acne, A LOT of blackheads on my forehead, nose, and chin along with very few papules, a lot of closed comodones, and a whitehead here and there. I'm 13- if anyone cares... lol

Overall, aczone is an ok product, I can't say it's "great" yet because I haven't seen amazing results yet... I just wished they knew how it actually works...

If you have good insurance, it absolutely shouldn't hurt to try Aczone. It's not formulated for severe acne, but if your acne is mostly inflamed it might calm it down a bit. If you think your current derm-prescribed regimen will be effective, just stick to that as you may get better results... but you have mentioned that these products haven't worked for you in the past. I say give it a shot if you're not paying $100+ for it, but remember that Aczone is for mild/moderate acne. I doubt it'd work on anything more than pustules and small papules, though nodules/cysts fall under the umbrella of 'inflamed acne' as well.

I don't get it. First you criticize Aczone and say it doubled the amount of acne you had in just one day, and that it'll never clear you up. But now you're recommending it?

Hi Duchamp, these products didn't work for me in the past because they made me break out horribly (which is an IB) and I stopped right away instead of continuing, they say things get worse before they get better....but I just didn't see the end in sight so I assumed they didn't work for me....maybe they don't. That was years ago. I'm known for starting treatments then reading reviews, then freaking out and stopping. Now I'm 26, not that I'm more mature :surprised: but I am older and I just really want to stick to a plan even if deep down inside I might regret it...because I already have regrets of not finishing in the past....the mino scares me because I know how bad antibiotics are, not just for acne but in general....and my acne resistant face can prove it. :(

Hi everyone, I told myself I wasn't going to check back to this forum for a while just to keep my mind off my face but I really want to tell everyone about this new topical I was prescribed that I think is curing me.

I have had what I would call pretty severe acne, or at least pretty bad. My skin is naturally prone to scarring and redness everywhere.

I finally got a dermatologist a few weeks ago who gave me a prescription for a brand new (like just got approved in the USA in December 2008 new) topical drug called Aczone (dapsone 5%). I finally got around to picking it up at CVS and every day has been an improvement. I apply once a day to the whole face at night.

I have tried everything before this; months of perfect dieting, no milk, BP, URINE THERAPY (EW), water only, brushes, facials, lemons, sleep habits, antibiotics (topical and oral), ACV (topical and oral), every OTC wash and cream that exists. Nothing has helped. I have wasted hundreds of dollars and so many hours every day when finally Aczone came along, it was like it was sent from God or something... I was about to ask my dermatologist for Accutane, hopefully now I won't need to

Here are some pics I want to share (click thumbnails for big, warning: the before pics are scary :P )

Before 1:

Before 2:

2 Weeks After 1:

2 Weeks After 2:

I know it's not like perfect or anything but its TWO WEEKS! You can see there are still lots of red marks and everything, but the inflammation is gone and I'm getting no new cysts or acne anywhere!

My only complaint is that the prescription is a TOTAL ripoff; one tube of it cost $50 AFTER my insurance. Unbelievable; luckily my dermatologist gave me a coupon card for $30 off the first 3 fillups. So I should be ok for a bit, maybe won't even need it after a while :surprised: But still, I think the cost might be worth it. I'm on my first fillup still and am nowhere near finishing it. I think the price will drop once other generic brands come into competition at much cheaper prices

I will keep updating as I know that a lot of drugs tend to wear off after a bit. But definitely something work trying out if you've exhausted all other options (or if you haven't :) ). There's no risks or big side effects with it. It's winter and freezing and windy here and this isn't drying my skin out at all like the BP or making it red.

A few weeks ago I was feeling depressed and lonely, trying to avoid seeing people so I could keep my face out of public. My friends all told me it wasn't bad, but we have all been there; no matter what they say, it doesn't help. Already I'm just feeling so much happier, more social, and ready to smile in a picture instead of putting my hand in front of me

Please feel free to ask any questions !

Good Results!

Keep me posted after a few months.

Hi Everyone, I am new to Acne.Org but no stranger to our daily fight for better skin. I DO have cystic acne and breakout all over my face (huge, painful cycts) my back, my thighs etc. I was on a regiment of: Duac w/ Tetracycline with no luck so my derm suggested Aczone and my face has never been this clear.

I've been using it (all over) x2 a day (even under makeup) and then using Netrogena lotion for approx. 4 weeks now and have no black/white heads and no painful cysts. I do ocasionally have one or two very small pimples but with my continuing treatment they flake off a day later.

I have experienced some drying so my derm suggested after this I use lotion (not much) it has really helped.

Here's my current regime:

Morning: Netrogena cleanser - All over Aczone - Lotion - Makeup

Night: Cleanser - Aczone - Lotion - Tazarac - Minicycline

I've experienced hives with the oral meds so I've cut back to once a day and still see results with just the topical treatments. Definetly check with your derm on this, I love it. Good luck to you all!

Ok so i have a question for everyone..

So 2 years ago I really thought I found the miracle cure for my acne. After having pretty bad acne, and having done pretty much everything including Accutane, I decided to do some research of my own to see what would work. I found the combination of Ziana and Bactrim worked so good for me and it really cleared up my acne. However, after 2 years of no acne it is starting to come back. My derm took me off bactrim for a little bit and put me on something else, but that didn't help at all, so I went back on bactrim. Bactrim seems to be like the only think that will work for me, and I'm too afraid of getting off of it and trying something else, even though I know you shouldn't be on it for as long as I have been on it. It's probably going on like 3 years that I have been taking it. My derm did give me aczone to put on in the mornings, so I am trying that.. but my real question is.. will I ever be able to get off bactrim and still have good skin? Would it be okay if I went off of it and was just on aczone because it seems to work for a lot of you, but I just don't want to take the risk and end up having worse skin!

Ughh.. someone help me please!!

Does anyone know of where to get rebates for aczone? Someone is selling a rebate card on ebay but I can't find information about it elsewhere.

Yeah, go to www.rebate.aczone.com

Good Luck