Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so i've been doing my research trying to determine what might help me win this battle of the p. acnes and i'm too frightened to try the caveman regimen and the oil cleansing method - i'm sure they work great but all those oils just freak me out too much; everybody's skin is different. i've found that my diet has a lot to do with it but not everything (natural, vegan diet; regular juice faster). i've been trying different methods to combat my active acne and my loads of red marks and so far it's tough but i've been through much much worse. enough of my rambles.

i have a lot of piercings and just did my tongue. i used to use peroxide for all of them, including my fresh tongue, until i found a piercing forum and was told by at least 20 people that peroxide is waaaaay too harsh for wounds because it kills the good bacteria along with destroying the new skin that's trying to form, and that sea salt was the best solution. it got me thinking about my skin regimen. sea salt has sulfur and a lot of wonderful minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium, etc. and it brings oxygen to the pores (or wounds) and helps rid them of bacteria... hence why so many people use it for their piercings. i found a few sites backing this up as well:

http://www.beacnefree.com/sea-salt-and-acne/

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=390715

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/worked-me...ALT-t86369.html

I'm sure there are plenty more sites but this is enough to open my mind to sea salt. i'm going to fill a bowl with water and sea salt and submerge my face while breathing through a straw. lol it sounds tricky but possible. any thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated and entirely respected.

tonight was my third night soaking my face in sea salt water. a few of my blemishes have gotten better, others haven't, but i really enjoyed the soak. it's almost surreal because at first it made me apprehensive to submerge my face in a bowl of water but once i did it and my brain understood i could still breath (through a bending straw) i just melted into it :) i soaked for about 5-10 minutes each time.

my skin has started looking a bit clearer and i ended up going at a few whiteheads with a clean bobby pin and they actually came out! i was completely shocked because i generally don't have any luck with it and i was just so sick of my chin whiteheads i just went at it. my nose also has significantly less blackheads and the creases around it has less whiteheads than usual. my complexion looks a lot smoother too.

I always thought there was something to sea salt as well just ffrom living in Florida and experiencing beach/ocean life. Seems to have great healing properties.

If nothing else, it seems like a good idea to incorporate into your skincare routine.

I'm also trying Sea Salt so far so good please keep up updated.

how are you using it? i've been contemplating whether or not i should rinse my face after i finish the soak or just let the salt water dry on my face and apply my skin creams w/o rinsing.

I always thought there was something to sea salt as well just ffrom living in Florida and experiencing beach/ocean life. Seems to have great healing properties.

If nothing else, it seems like a good idea to incorporate into your skincare routine.

i've heard a lot of good things about it too. i especially like that it's not a cream or anything, just a natural soak/rinse. every time i do it i just feel so clean afterward.

Nightly salt baths definetly improved my acne by making it look a lot less red and agravated.

Do you mean like a full body bath? Only adding sea salt?

Nightly salt baths definetly improved my acne by making it look a lot less red and agravated.

Do you mean like a full body bath? Only adding sea salt?

Correct.

I typically add 1 lb. of coarse or fine sea salt to extremely hot bath water and let the salt dissolve before I lay in it (face submerged up to my nose, for breathing). I usually stay in the bath for 15-20 minutes. There are probably more efficient ways to apply sea salt to your face, but I find this the easiest and most relaxing.

I've also tried the "spray bottle method" (just putting salt and water in a spray bottle, then applying liberally to the face) but this never worked as the salt pretty much caked on my face and I had to constantly rinse my face off which just irritated it more.

I haven't done much research to find out the science behind why this method works for me, but I definetly notice atleast a 50%-70% reduction in redness.

Oh and by the way, it costs about $2 where I live per pound of sea salt. (I buy mine from Scotts/Kroger) I'm sure you can find it much cheaper in bulk online.

I have to agree about the benefits of sea salt for acne. Despite warnings from skin "experts" that it'd be too harsh, I've been doing sea salt scrubs with great results for the past few weeks with no irritation, and a significant decrease in breakouts. My skin is usually really sensitive to scrubs but something about the sea salt is just really soothing & healing. Not to mention my skin feels baby smooth afterward.

What inspired me to give it a shot was just remembering how nice my skin would always be during the summer when I'd be swimming in the ocean a lot more.

I typically add 1 lb. of coarse or fine sea salt to extremely hot bath water and let the salt dissolve before I lay in it (face submerged up to my nose, for breathing). I usually stay in the bath for 15-20 minutes. There are probably more efficient ways to apply sea salt to your face, but I find this the easiest and most relaxing.

I've also tried the "spray bottle method" (just putting salt and water in a spray bottle, then applying liberally to the face) but this never worked as the salt pretty much caked on my face and I had to constantly rinse my face off which just irritated it more.

I haven't done much research to find out the science behind why this method works for me, but I definetly notice atleast a 50%-70% reduction in redness.

yeah allowing your skin to be submerged in the salt water seems to help more than just applying it. How long did it take for you to start seeing results? - whether it be decrease in acne or redness relief.