Notifications
Clear all

Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is non-comedogenic (doesn't clog pore)

MemberMember
(@mikeysrl)

Posted : 01/13/2009 11:26 pm

I've search all over the Internet. One of the reason why people say that Vaseline "clogs pores" is because of its greasiness. Generally anything greasy is affiliated with causing acne.

http://www.xcel-n.com/facts_myths.html

This is the only site that actually links scientific articles along with their claims in that Vaseline does

not clog pores!

Specifically this scientific article:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3097361

I am trying to research on the full article.

I thought about calling the company, but I have not had luck directly calling companies in the past. They say whatever they want on the telephone simply because they can get away with it.

This is what I will believe from now on, unless something else can disprove this fact.

MemberMember
(@kbnguyen)

Posted : 01/14/2009 1:30 am

I love the vaseline jelly! I use it mostly for my lips but whenever I get a really dry spot on my face I use it at night. Yeah, it feels greasy, but I agree that it doesn't clog pores. I guess its the greasy part that makes it feel like it is clogging pores

MemberMember
(@mikeysrl)

Posted : 01/20/2009 12:47 am

I agree.

100% petrolatum USP should not clog pore. It's not listed on any comedogenic listing.

I've been using Vaseline 100% petrolatum for my dry lips and it works wonder! :)

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/05/2009 9:59 pm

I just want to bump this topic instead of creating another new topic, but this is true. Vaseline petroleum jelly is non-comedogenic. It says so on the back of my jar. I also called the number to make sure and they verified. It DOES feel greasy, thats why I only use it at night and sleep with a towel on my pillow to avoid the mess, but it really helps moisturize well without clogging pores!

Vaseline Petroleum jelly clogs the pores is definitely a myth.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/05/2009 10:43 pm

Please be careful using petroleum jelly anywhere near your nose, such as your lips. It can be really dangerous to inhale through the nose. It is not recommended to be used on your nose when it is raw from a cold or chapped because it cause respiratory problems. I would assume this could be bad when used on the lips as well since they are right beneath your nose.

I personally do not use any products containing petroleum because I would rather use plant products. I haven't read anything about it being unsafe on the body though.

Those not opposed to beeswax can find un-petrolum jelly. I think Alba botanica make a version. It would work well on lips, but I am not sure if it is comedogenic for the rest of the face or not.

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/05/2009 11:22 pm

Please be careful using petroleum jelly anywhere near your nose, such as your lips. It can be really dangerous to inhale through the nose. It is not recommended to be used on your nose when it is raw from a cold or chapped because it cause respiratory problems. I would assume this could be bad when used on the lips as well since they are right beneath your nose.

I personally do not use any products containing petroleum because I would rather use plant products. I haven't read anything about it being unsafe on the body though.

Those not opposed to beeswax can find un-petrolum jelly. I think Alba botanica make a version. It would work well on lips, but I am not sure if it is comedogenic for the rest of the face or not.

just curious how you would inhale petroleum jelly? Its a rather thick consistency, so its not like it can be sucked up into the nose if you accidentally sniff it. Which i've never had a problem with. I don't see how it could possibly get into the nasal cavity unless you put it in there yourself

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/06/2009 11:07 am

just curious how you would inhale petroleum jelly? Its a rather thick consistency, so its not like it can be sucked up into the nose if you accidentally sniff it. Which i've never had a problem with. I don't see how it could possibly get into the nasal cavity unless you put it in there yourself

I am just saying the petroleum jelly is not approved to use in or near the nostrils. Your nose is damn close to your lips. Some people might not know that it is not approved to used around the nostrils. I am not sure what exactly it takes to inhale a whole glob, or how much is needed to cause respiratory issues. Why don't you try it out and report back.

Petroleum jelly should be fine on other areas of the face, but lips still are of some concern. We also eat a lot of the product that we put on our lips, about 5 lbs per year for constant users of lip balms and lipstick. I would not want to eat petroleum jelly. Sorry

If acne is your only concern PJ is fine. Again I personally only use natural products on my skin.

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/06/2009 12:26 pm

I am just saying the petroleum jelly is not approved to use in or near the nostrils. Your nose is damn close to your lips. Some people might not know that it is not approved to used around the nostrils. I am not sure what exactly it takes to inhale a whole glob, or how much is needed to cause respiratory issues. Why don't you try it out and report back.

Petroleum jelly should be fine on other areas of the face, but lips still are of some concern. We also eat a lot of the product that we put on our lips, about 5 lbs per year for constant users of lip balms and lipstick. I would not want to eat petroleum jelly. Sorry

If acne is your only concern PJ is fine. Again I personally only use natural products on my skin.

Do you have sources to back up your claim? Just because you are a vegan, most likely PETA supporter, in favor of pure natural angelic ingredients found in the wild doesn't make your claims any more powerful. And thats perfectly fine for you. Your posts are trying to scare people away from using "non-natural" products and you seem to be speaking for experience, which should be noted because just because you do or do not use something doesn't mean everyone else should do the same. and obviously you've realized its impossible to inhale a glob of petroleum jelly up your nose by posting in response. Even if you were some crack head that sniffed coke everyday, i'm sure you still would not have the suction power to suck a thick gooey jelly up your nose...it's kind of common sense? I'm not going to disagree with you about EATING the jelly. Eating any products is clearly not good...but saying that everyone eats products on their lips is false. Yes, there may be people out there who eat and lick their products off their lips. Some people are actually aware and more cautious to make sure they don't. SO in conclusion, petroleum jelly is perfectly safe to use. Just like every other product in the world, don't stick it up your nose or ingest it. Thanks

and just to let everyone know, Petrolatum is listed as having the lowest hazard concern (0 on a scale of 1-10) by the Environmental Working Group in their Skin Deep database.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 10/06/2009 12:31 pm

How about we don't encourage others to inhale petroleum jelly or call each other crazy and make assumptions about each other based on our usernames. Sound good? Alright, then.

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/06/2009 12:37 pm

How about we don't encourage others to inhale petroleum jelly or call each other crazy and make assumptions about each other based on our usernames. Sound good? Alright, then.

Sounds good miss moderator :) I've now not made assumptions, but rather stated a facts from her introduction, so no breaking rules there eh?

"......I am hoping to find natural and cruelty free solutions to helping me reduce my adult acne. "
MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 10/06/2009 12:39 pm

Sounds good miss moderator :) I've now not made assumptions, but rather stated a facts from her introduction, so no breaking rules there eh?

"......I am hoping to find natural and cruelty free solutions to helping me reduce my adult acne. "

Nobody broke rules. I just want this to stay friendly.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/06/2009 6:04 pm

I am a vegan who is not a peta supporter. I do support many other organizations that do not make us all look bad. If you actually know vegans you will find that most go wtf peta all the time. I do have a right to defend my self to all the haters on these forums.

I do not just use natural product because I am a vegan, not all vegans use only natural products. However I would not buy a product put out by brand Vasoline because I am vegan because they conduct animal testing.

You are perfectly capable of using google yourself. My doc said not to use pj around the nose before when I had a cold. Just thought I would pass it on for those who care. If you don't believe you swallow products that you put on your lips then don't. I said that it is my personal choice to not use petroleum at all, but that I do believe it is safe to use in other areas.

I sick of people always trying to act hard on these forums.

MemberMember
(@myself999)

Posted : 10/06/2009 7:12 pm

obviously you've realized its impossible to inhale a glob of petroleum jelly up your nose by posting in response. Even if you were some crack head that sniffed coke everyday, i'm sure you still would not have the suction power to suck a thick gooey jelly up your nose...it's kind of common sense?

Are you serious? It's the VAPORS. The VAPORS of petroleum jelly that should not be inhaled because it is known to cause respiratory issues. Please, refrain from the personal attacks. We're here to learn and help one another; not to insult and ridicule one another.

Oh, and by the way. I always thought petroleum jelly would clog pores. . . guess you learn something new everyday.

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/06/2009 8:47 pm

obviously you've realized its impossible to inhale a glob of petroleum jelly up your nose by posting in response. Even if you were some crack head that sniffed coke everyday, i'm sure you still would not have the suction power to suck a thick gooey jelly up your nose...it's kind of common sense?

Are you serious? It's the VAPORS. The VAPORS of petroleum jelly that should not be inhaled because it is known to cause respiratory issues. Please, refrain from the personal attacks. We're here to learn and help one another; not to insult and ridicule one another.

Oh, and by the way. I always thought petroleum jelly would clog pores. . . guess you learn something new everyday.

Are YOU serious? What VAPORS? Have you had ever tired Vaseline's petroleum jelly? Petroleum Jelly does not emit vapors. It's just that, simply a jelly like substance for moisturizing. It doesn't even have a smell so its physically impossible to inhale VAPORS. I guess you learned 2 new things today ;)

MemberMember
(@enry)

Posted : 10/07/2009 5:09 am

The more I read about Petroleum jelly the more confused I get. Every video/thread/comment I read has contradicting info. Really wonder if I should be using it or not

MemberMember
(@addie)

Posted : 10/07/2009 6:46 am

I use it on my lips every night and haven't come to noticeable harm yet. I do think I ingest it without trying, though. Anything I put on my lips seems to end up in my mouth, but I have a vicious chapping/cracking problem, and petroleum jelly and one expensive, difficult-to-use balm seem to be the only things that help. Aquaphor doesn't even see to help as much as petroleum jelly; I still crack.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 10/07/2009 1:32 pm

I found this after a quick (2 seconds) Google using keywords: petroleum jelly vapors respiratory problems. http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/105/3/968.full.pdf In a nutshell, don't use petroleum jelly around the nostrils long-term if you think it can cause harm. This article doesn't necessarily prove that claim, but it gives a nod. From other searches, I've found articles relating to harmful vapors if the jelly is heated. I doubt anyone is going to heat it up once it's on the face. That would be ... kinda odd.

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/07/2009 2:13 pm

I found this after a quick (2 seconds) Google using keywords: petroleum jelly vapors respiratory problems. http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/105/3/968.full.pdf In a nutshell, don't use petroleum jelly around the nostrils long-term if you think it can cause harm. This article doesn't necessarily prove that claim, but it gives a nod. From other searches, I've found articles relating to harmful vapors if the jelly is heated. I doubt anyone is going to heat it up once it's on the face. That would be ... kinda odd.

I don't have time to read that whole article, but from the first few sentences it said the lady got pneumonia from INTRANASAL application of petroleum jelly. Which means that she applied petroleum jelly INSIDE the nose. Like i've said before, DO NOT stick this in your nose if its dry. I can see how it can be harmful if you put vaseline inside the nose because your nasal cavity often times drains into your lungs and stomach, so that could definitely be a problem.

MemberMember
(@addie)

Posted : 10/08/2009 8:36 am

This thread makes me feel like using my more expensive, inconvenient stuff.

MemberMember
(@markp9114)

Posted : 10/08/2009 11:52 am

This thread makes me feel like using my more expensive, inconvenient stuff.

lol yeah I guess thats what happens when you read things on the internet! There are always different opinions of all products that are polar opposites. I guarantee you if you post a thread about your more expensive brand product, you would get people who love it, and people who will make claims that you will die from it. Everything's up to the user though, so you choose what you want to believe, and use whatever you think works :)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/08/2009 12:54 pm

Do not use it for nasal congestion or dryness.

If particles of petrolatum are inhaled from the nose, they may deposit in the lungs and lead to a condition called lipid pneumonia

MemberMember
(@aboodykiss)

Posted : 02/22/2010 6:50 pm

LOL WHO GIVES A SHIT IF VASELINE WILL CAUSE HEALTH RISKS, ITS GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN AND THATS ALL, SERIOSULY YOU TREE HUGGERS NEED TO BACK OFF LOL. GO USE SOME TREE GUM.

JUS DONT LITERALLY PUT IT UP YOUR NOSE OR PUT IT IN UR MOUTH AND YOULL BE ALGOOD.

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS IT WILL CAUSE HEALTH RISKS.

ITS ALL COMON SENSE.

MemberMember
(@samesonganddance)

Posted : 02/22/2010 7:06 pm

Ya know, there's nothing to fuckin argue about here. Everybody has to chill out. We learned two things..

A) It won't clog pores.

B) Don't put it in or near your nose.

That's it. Don't insult someone or attack someones beliefs over the facts of Petroleum Jelly for shits sake. Like...aboodykiss...could you come off as any more of a dick? Plus, it's safe to not type everything you say in CAPS, we can all read perfectly fine.

MemberMember
(@west-coast_skater)

Posted : 02/22/2010 7:10 pm

petrolatum jelly is essentially an oil byproduct. that puts it in the same category as plastics and gasoline. so of course there will be health risks if inhaled

oh and the vapors are caused by the evaporation of the jelly. inhaling those fumes is like inhaling gas fumes, just in a very small amount. thats why my brother doesnt use it for his chapped lips anymore, he just uses that burts bees chapstick

then again, nobody really uses that much anyways so it shouldnt be too much of a problem if you put it anywhere other than under your nose

MemberMember
(@west-coast_skater)

Posted : 02/22/2010 7:11 pm

LOL WHO GIVES A SHIT IF VASELINE WILL CAUSE HEALTH RISKS, ITS GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN AND THATS ALL, SERIOSULY YOU TREE HUGGERS NEED TO BACK OFF LOL. GO USE SOME TREE GUM.

JUS DONT LITERALLY PUT IT UP YOUR NOSE OR PUT IT IN UR MOUTH AND YOULL BE ALGOOD.

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS IT WILL CAUSE HEALTH RISKS.

ITS ALL COMON SENSE.

hmm