Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ninjamonkey

For the guys. Does not shaving help at all?

My acne just never seems to go away and beleive I've tried almost everything (accutane twice). I decided just to say to hell with how I look and not bother shaving until it gets better. I normally like to be clean shaven but it looks shit with spots and bleeding scabs so I'm just going to leave it. I think if you shave it irritates the acne each time not giving it a chance to heal itself. Just an idea.

when my acne was at my chinline i would not shave at all, way too sensitive. While i did put my topical gel in that area i wouldnt shave because i thought it would aggrevate my acne, or like you said, you would see red spots etc. so i let it be and didnt shave for a while and sure enough the acne on that area is gone.

when I shave my leg I get spots on the upper legs, but they clear away fast, gess when I would shave more they will keep away...

so its proven for me that shaving gets you spots. :-k

BTW, I'm not a girl I shave my leggs for my sport biggrin.gif/

Shaving supposedly removes dead skin cells and crap, so actually it should be good for your skin. However, if you have active acne like me, than it can be a bitch to shave (I'm sure every guy here has cut atleast one zit with a razor). Also, shaving does tend to aggravate acne (but doesn't everything). So while you will want to shave, try and keep it as spread apart as possible. That way your skin can heal before you shave again.

Frankly I'm afraid to shave because I think I MIGHT be onto a link between shaving and acne. I only have to shave my chin/jaw are and moustache, other than that (and my burns but I'm a hippy so they stay) im a baby face. Thing is, I shaved about 1 week ago (my hair grows in slow) and I broke out where I shaved. Now, it could be because I rest my chin my hands or something else like that, I dunno. I don't want to have to find out by trial and error, but that's what probably will end up happening.

Dan has to recommend a shaving gel, not all facial cleansers can be used as a lather/shaving lotion. I think I'm going to try using the Cetaphil I use to wash my face as a lather next time and see how it works...as before I was using something that said NOTHING about non-comodegenic (SP?) or not clogging pores.

My skin feels less oily and somehow cleaner after I've shaved. And I'd looked like Santa Claus in two days, if I didn't shave, so I do it every morning.

i gotta shave because my beard is raggedy after about 2 3 days..i cant imagine going a month without shaveing id look like bin laden

when I shave my leg I get spots on the upper legs, but they clear away fast, gess when I would shave more they will keep away...

I have always been told that shaving helps. When i had cystic acne i didnt have at all for as long as possible. The problem is that bacteria loves grease filled hair. I have very thick and rough stubble, so if i dont have once a day my skin is fair bristly, but i have noticed that shaving once you are much clearer definitely helps keep u that way, But hey, doesn't every thing in the universe irritate acne anyway? touchin, squeezing, picking, sweating, eating, moving, sleeping, wan...ing lol u get the idea. I tell ya, if there was a nuclear war the only thin left would be acne bacterium....imagine if it evolved into a sentient species, would they get an out break of humans on their faces? Revenge is sweet! lol ;-)

Last year when my acne was mild I only shaved once a week and it actually made my face look clearer and smoother. Now this year as my acne is exploded on my chin and lip it sucks to shave with a razor because I can't get to the hair with out cutting off all these huge zits. I don't know what to do, should I shave or just let hair grow? Using an electric razor helps but then I get back hair the next day and I don't wanna cut up my face everyday. Very confused

i think if you have active acne, then maybe you should not shave becaue you might cut yourself and what not, but if you dont have active acne, then shaving is actually good for your acne.

when i shave, my skin does get a little irritated but it gets nice and smooth after about an hour or two, and shaving helps with getting old skin cells of your face, so it might actually be good for your acne.

everytime, i shave, i break out like crazy in that area. but i only shave when i let it grow really long. which irritates the skin more. so if you shave regurly, not like once in a blue moon, i don't think it would hurt.

I've tried not to shave, but it just feels so much better and less itchy when I do shave. Not to mention its a lot easier and less irritating on the skin when you try to shave off shorter hair than if you waited a long time and then shaved. At least it hurts for me. I gotta shave once a day or else I'll have quite a bit of hair.

Pimpleman.... haha thats a funny name.

hey guys

i have the same problem as you but i have found something that really works well. it's called paula's choice skin relief treatment. it soothes your skin, stops redness, and even helps kill pimples that are all a result from shaving irritation. it even helps with those nasty razor bumps. its doing wonders for me.

i even use it on all other parts on my face and its helping there too. the stuff is great. its giving me my life back!

good luck!

I shave once a day in the morning. It makes it a very easy shave and I NEVER break out on my chin anymore.