Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FilipS

Inheriting acne.

I've been wondering some time ago about inheriting acne. Let's say, if I have inherited acne (from mom's side, father was totally clear) and i will have children with girl that shows no history of acne in her family (and so she's also clear), will my children have acne? Or is it a game of chance, like getting good or bad genes? I know that "acne gene" is autosomal, but is it possible that my children (male/female) will be totally clear?

Just wondering. Have any ideas?

Well there might be a solution(i think in the future) if they ever could find the "acne" gene(s) since i saw a while back on tv that there are procedures in which a couple can select traits they want for there unborn child , Ex: Gender, physical features etc. it is also being used to fix genetic diseases that run in the family like diabetes by not including the genes in the babies dna. Hope that helps but im not sure if everything i said is correct x_X

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an "acne gene." Rather, that acne is a symptom of another disease we inherit (or can be genetically prone to.) I know that in my family, on both sides, nearly everyone has had diabetes. Also, nearly everyone has had acne. My grandfather on my mother's side has never had diabetes (or any problems with those filtering organs) and has never had acne. I'm not sure if there's a connection. I think that a liver not functioning properly may contribute to acne (or, perhaps some other organ that is involved in filtering waste in the body.) Anyway, from my experience, it is likely your kids will have acne. Though there is a chance that they won't. Most kids do have acne in their teen years, whether or not they have a genetic tendency for it. For some this means one pimple once in a blue moon. For others this means more constant acne that eventually clears up. I hope that in your kids' lifetime we can find some sort of cure. :D

Yes, I am sure they will find a cure for acne by the time our kids grow up!

yes i hope they come out with some kind of safer accutane but for mild/moderate acne

There is a lot of discussion on here about that new drug that comes out in a few years. Hopefully that will be the answer. There is definitely a chance that your kids could be clear. I would say that it is unlikely though. You do see families though where one kid has acne and the others do not, so it is possible.

im with peytah. i dont want to put up with screaming kids that grow into pissed off teenagers.

In most cases, some people are likely only genetically predisposed to getting acne (I would guess it is based off a combination of various genes, rather than just one), but the way we live, we often expose ourselves to factors that would contribute to actually getting acne.

Yes, I am sure they will find a cure for acne by the time our kids grow up!

This is probably the same thing our parents or grandparents said when BP is under research. We, their children, grow up still with acne. :(

@topic

well, they won't inherit your acne. but they will inherit your acne-prone genetics which means that you as their parent would be the one to help them cope up with the changes that will happen to them once they enter puberty. as we all know, puberty is the most likely starting point of acne especially with uninformed individuals.

Check this thread of mine and save your siblings of this misery we have: Acne Myths and Truths

hmmm.. well in what i understand (please correct me if im wrong) is that we do not inherit acne.

what we inherit are the large sebaceous glands which cause excessive oil production, thats leads to acne prone skin. people who don't suffer from acne probably have sebaceous glands smaller than what we have, thats what makes their skin clear. as we know, the bacteria P. Acnes? found mostly in our fingers (thats why we shouldn't be touching our faces) feeds on oil which enables them live. so they cant survive on areas with less oil. in short, LESS OIL, NO BACTERIA, NO ACNE..Ü

^ Not exactly, because people can have oily skin from large sebaceous glands and not have acne. Conversely people have acne without having oily skin. It's the tendency towards hyperkeratinization that is genetic. And hyperkeratinization can be reduced via diet.

Genetics only play a part in your developing a condition. The rest is what you do.

^ Not exactly, because people can have oily skin from large sebaceous glands and not have acne. Conversely people have acne without having oily skin. It's the tendency towards hyperkeratinization that is genetic. And hyperkeratinization can be reduced via diet.

Genetics only play a part in your developing a condition. The rest is what you do.

Yes! A couple of beers break me out! no so with hard liquor or red wine!

I'm not joking, it has to do with the glycemic load of the drink. Cheers!