Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey...maybe it just me but when im out in public and there are mirrors on the wall or i go to the bathroom i avoid looking in the mirror. i just look down and focus on washing my hands. as i write this im tearing up because i feel so bad about my skin sometimes. its even worse when other people are in the bathroom. are they seeing what i see? the light seems so harsh. i just want to put on more foundation and hide the reminders..i find myself trying to hurry out the bathroom for some relief. its horrible but i try and try to just accept myself. i try to look into that mirror and deal but its so hard.

Girl, I do that a lot. I've broken about 2 mirrors because I couldn't stand looking at myself. My parents weren't very pleased mind you...but yeah. It is very difficult. I just keep telling myself that this will get better and by staring at the mirror I'd just cause more unwanted stress

I get that completely. I actually won't go to Baskin Robin's with my friend at night because the lighting is so harsh that I'm sure it makes my skin stand out. I hate being in bathrooms with other people, because I usually want to put on some powder but can't because I don't want to draw attention to my skin.

It really bugs my how people with clear skin act like you're superficial and overreacting if you mention these feelings to them. Of course they don't get it... there are no red bumps on their face! Just stay strong and remember that you aren't alone. Everyone has that something that kills their self-esteem, our's just happens to be a stubborn one. Thank goodness we have make-up to get us by until we find something that "saves our skin".

its nice to know you guys can relate. haha your right ms. awesome about makeup. must really suck being a boy..they cant cover up with makeup ( guess they could if they want to be tormented) i wish one day that i dont need to be dependent on makeup

No its not just you cause I do it as well. When i'm out in the public I avoid all mirrors, even at home I only look in the mirror in low lighting. I guess I'm just too self conscious when I'm in the public, I mean I already know I look like crap and looking in the mirror will probably make me feel even crappier.

yeah i think you can go about your day not really thinking about your acne but the mirror just reminds you and makes you feel worse. so avoiding them kinda makes me feel like the acne isnt there cuz I cannot necessarily see it.

i remember when i didn't think anything of looking in a mirror. now i wish everyone were blind that way they couldn't see what i dread seeing everyday. and today i realized that my scars arent getting less noticeable but i have somehow developed a way to look in the mirror and immediately blur my eyes so my scars look less harsh. i never realized i was doing it. but it crushed me when i found out. cause they are just so horrible. and now i realize they aren't getting better, but i was tricking myself. its so hard to look in the mirror. so hard. so hard. i just can't describe and im the same way with public places and bad lighting. i dread going anywhere where i know my scars will pop out at people. check out my gallery. acne sucks but acne eventually goes away. scar remain forever. no cure. i really hate proactives slogan (altho i love the product) "you have beautiful skin under your acne" (or something like that). not true. everytime i hear it i call them liars under my breath. anyone else hate that slogan? anyway, i feel you and the whole mirror thing. im sorry anyone has to feel that way.

I really need to go to the hairdressers but i cant make myself go

yeah i know what that is like. I hate sitting in that chair in front of the mirror. whenever the hairdresser gives me the handheld mirror to look at my hair in the back i can barely stand holding it. part of me wants to say " nah im sure it looks good back there" lol but i dont wanna sound stupid

QUOTE (tenten @ Jan 11 2009, 01:07 AM) *

I really need to go to the hairdressers but i cant make myself go

yeah i know what that is like. I hate sitting in that chair in front of the mirror. whenever the hairdresser gives me the handheld mirror to look at my hair in the back i can barely stand holding it. part of me wants to say " nah im sure it looks good back there" lol but i dont wanna sound stupid

Oh my god, thats exactly me. I can't stand it. Their hands are so close to my face... and they ask me if something is good, like my bangs, and I have to force myself to even peek!

And my friends! They are so superficial and such mirror whores... if we're getting ready together, they'll have music playing and watch themselves dance and stuff. And they think I'm a loser for not joining in. I cannot stare at myself in a mirror! I just cant.

i remember when i didn't think anything of looking in a mirror. now i wish everyone were blind that way they couldn't see what i dread seeing everyday. and today i realized that my scars arent getting less noticeable but i have somehow developed a way to look in the mirror and immediately blur my eyes so my scars look less harsh. i never realized i was doing it.

And I can totally relate to this too. If I HAVE to look in the mirror, I just kinda do this blurry thing and then I can almost stand it. I hear all of you!

Yes I can relate. I used to look in the mirrors at my house and feel confident, but when I met a mirror in a public setting, I would avoid looking at it. I didn't want to see something bad and give myself a breakdown. One time I did and I immediately felt like going home.

I totally understand and do the same thing. I wear glasses, and I won't get laser surgery done, because then I can't control what I see.

Right now, when I'm at the hairdressers... I don't wear my glasses so I just see blurrs...

HaHa. I can totally relate. For me, it's more of my confidence issue. I just cannot accept the condition my skin is in even though it has gotten SO much better than before. But, to help get me through it without unecessary tension, I just get a f*c&n attitude with it. I got other things to be thankful for.

And I believe it's gonna get better for you, too. You have to just believe.

Just today I had to use my hand to cover up my spots because I couldn't look at them.

It sucks =(

Mirrors are not my friends at all! The only mirror i can look in is the bathroom mirror with the blind down as the lighting is perfect and you cant really make out my severe acne. Whats annoying is that i know without acne i would look reallllly good as i have nice facial features ( in my opinion lol!) Before i had severe acne i was told i should audition for james bond! :dance:

Thing is ANY other mirror makes me look like death. Especially the school bathroom mirror. I was washing my hands and had a little peak up and was vertually floored by what i saw lol i took a step back! That image still haunts me as you couldnt even see a patch of normal skin, you couldnt even tell i was white; it was red and bumpy and horrible i stood there staring then went "oh well," and walked off.

Whats nice is that people dont comment about my acne. I think as its very severe thats the reason. People seem to comment on people with mild/mderate acne as it doesnt seem like a really mean thing to do to them. For a severe case though its more of a taboo as i think the person genuingly feels sorry for you.

The only mirror i ever wanted to look in was my bathroom one because somehow my acne never looks as bad in that one lol so its the only mirror i ever use and so when i'm out or anywhere i will always try to avoid looking in a mirror or anything reflective because i cant handle seeing myself looking like such an abomination.

However lately because accutane has really been kicking in and my skin is properly clearing up and i'm getting rid of my red marks i think i should be feeling more confident about seeing my reflection but i still really cant do it. Even if its just the reflection in a car window or something i just avoid looking, i think i'm just so used to looking terrible i'm just expecting to look bad or something.

One mirror whore here ^^

Used to hate them but since i have been on regimen for 7 months I have fallen in love with them. Still long road to go.

Girl, I do that a lot. I've broken about 2 mirrors because I couldn't stand looking at myself. My parents weren't very pleased mind you...but yeah. It is very difficult. I just keep telling myself that this will get better and by staring at the mirror I'd just cause more unwanted stress

broken 2 mirrors!! thats like 1000 years bad luck. maybe thats why you still have acne... ;)

Whoa..i can hardly believe all the comments i recieved for this post. makes me feel so much better that other people know what is feels like. its so hard to look into mirrors and see acne. All we can do is try to deal and learn to like other things besides our faces. My skin may not be as great as it could be but i like to think i have other nice features such as my eyes :)

broken 2 mirrors!! thats like 1000 years bad luck. maybe thats why you still have acne... ;)

Pfft. now dont be superstitious! lol

I used to look in the mirror all the time, but now I've basically given up. I avoid mirrors at all times. I just can't bare to look at myself. In my mind I feel like if I don't see anything, no one else will. Although I know that's not how it goes [and I wish it did..] I can't accept it. I'm too scared. :confused:

Mirrors are not my friends at all! The only mirror i can look in is the bathroom mirror with the blind down as the lighting is perfect and you cant really make out my severe acne. Whats annoying is that i know without acne i would look reallllly good as i have nice facial features ( in my opinion lol!) Before i had severe acne i was told i should audition for james bond! :dance:

Thing is ANY other mirror makes me look like death. Especially the school bathroom mirror. I was washing my hands and had a little peak up and was vertually floored by what i saw lol i took a step back! That image still haunts me as you couldnt even see a patch of normal skin, you couldnt even tell i was white; it was red and bumpy and horrible i stood there staring then went "oh well," and walked off.

Whats nice is that people dont comment about my acne. I think as its very severe thats the reason. People seem to comment on people with mild/mderate acne as it doesnt seem like a really mean thing to do to them. For a severe case though its more of a taboo as i think the person genuingly feels sorry for you.

yeah thats exactly what i do in my bathroom. i pull the shade and dim the lights. my mom always ask how i can see without the lights when i put on makeup. its sort of funny but she thinks that my eyes are sensitive to the light and she always says i should go see the eye doctor. ( i really dont like bright lighting) i never tell her the real reason why i do that. i cant help it. she'll never understand.

I actually like those bright fluorescent lighting especially at drugstores and any mirrors that is not the ones I have at home. For some weird reason, I look really different when I checked myself in my house mirror >_< I look so much worse and when I catch a glimpse of myself on one of those long mirror at the mall, I'm quite shocked because my skin look flawless (talk about false advertising) I can't stand it that I avoid looking at it at any cost...I broke 3 mirrors so far (my mom got mad at me because she keeps buying a new mirror to replace the broken one >_>) I wish I could stay outside forever because the sun makes my skin look really good; I cant even see the slight hyperpigmentation.

The only thing I hate is when its not bright and I see myself in the mirror and it creates a shadow, that's when my red marks becomes really obvious.

I JUST HATE my HOUSE MIRROR, yet those are the ones I check whether I should go outside or stay at home. I guess I sabotage myself because I'm compelled of checking myself in the worst mirror as possible.

AND those car mirrors. Everyone I know of, clear skin or not, always detest looking at themselves in the car mirror and complain how bad it makes them look

I broke one of my mirrors too.. I just got so frustrated and angry, my mom freaked out on me and thought I was suicidal. Now I don't even bother to keep a mirror in my room. I just use the one in the bathroom when I need to.

I hate retail mirrors, the light is so harsh! I'd break one, but I wouldn't want to pay for that. ;)