Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tolong

Chest Acne/Nodules With Bad Odor

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and hope I can get some help.

I have always had acne that releases white/yellowish puss with a foul odor.

But it seems that it’s getting worst.

I have it really bad on my chest, and its becoming unbearable. I NEED HELP.

If I squeeze it, there’s either yellow/brownish stuff that comes out, or plain white. I can do it today, and by tomorrow its back. What has really pushed me to no end is the smell. It’s getting seriously unbearable. I even fell like crying, and I’m a grown man.

I don’t have any insurance right now because frankly I just can’t afford.

PLEASE HELP.

One of things I’m starting to wonder is, after I take a shower in the morning and I’m all dry. I sprinkle baby powder on my chest. Does anyone think this could be cause this puss and odor?

Now I have been trying to clean my chest with vinegar lately, but I’m not sure that its helping.

Give me all the feedback you can.

Hi tolong,

You have my total sympathy, it sounds awful what you are dealing with.

I have never heard about acne that smells, and the color of the pus doesn't sound like acne to me either. If you can't afford to seek medical advice right now I think you should start experimenting using methods and remedies you can find on this board. Maybe you could write to Dan or his staff as well, your case is propably unusual and therefore of considerable interest.

I think the first thing you should do is stop with the baby powder and see if that helps. Also, disinfect the acne on your chest twice a day - it sounds like full-blown infection to me with the coloring and odor of the pus.

Hi tolong,

You have my total sympathy, it sounds awful what you are dealing with.

I have never heard about acne that smells, and the color of the pus doesn't sound like acne to me either. If you can't afford to seek medical advice right now I think you should start experimenting using methods and remedies you can find on this board. Maybe you could write to Dan or his staff as well, your case is propably unusual and therefore of considerable interest.

I think the first thing you should do is stop with the baby powder and see if that helps. Also, disinfect the acne on your chest twice a day - it sounds like full-blown infection to me with the coloring and odor of the pus.

I agree it is something rare, I've just about had it.

How do I reach Dan or others that can advise?

you might want to go to a doctor as soon as possible... if it didn't have a foul odor I would say just go about with some form of acne treatment... but foul odor is a sign of a staph infection

I feel so gross, it just smells so nasty.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to mask the smell until I can get in to see the derm?

I called today and their telling me the earliest is the end of the month.... I so cannot take this that long..

man don't feel gross it's not your fault... trust me man I'm going through some shit right now because I have terrible terrible acne all over my chest... I did some more reading and depending on what it looks like I found that (I'm not going to say you got it but once again I found something about it not smelling so great) is that Acne Conglobata... here it says this:

WHAT DOES ACNE CONGLOBATA LOOK LIKE?

The acne lesions (comedones) of this usually occur on the face, neck, chest, upper arms and buttocks. They often occur in clumps of 2 or 3. Inflamed nodules form around these clumps of comedones. A nodule is an inflamed lesion of more than 5mm across. They get bigger until they finally break down and discharge foul-smelling pus that returns once the nodule has drained. Deep ulcers may form under these nodules and may track under the skin to join up with others. Abcesses can leave deep, irregularly shaped scars.

So I mean hey you decide... but just go to the doctor if you are able to... I'm sure you'll get what you need.

WOW... I checked out some images of what you mentioned, and mine doesn't look like this.

But who knows, everyone is different.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary doc to see if she can give me something short term until I get in with the derm. Which that is at the end of the month.

staph and fungus can both infect your pores -- staph of course being the one to worry about. hopefully the doctor will give you a topical anti-bacterial, as it can lead to necrosis, which is not something anyone wants.

WOW... I checked out some images of what you mentioned, and mine doesn't look like this.

But who knows, everyone is different.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary doc to see if she can give me something short term until I get in with the derm. Which that is at the end of the month.

How did your appointment go? What did the doctor say? I hope it went well!

Well this was just my primary doctor since the dermo doc didn't have an appointment for several weeks.

She says it is definetly a staph infection, but shes unsure what kind. She believes it is the Folluticalitis (sorry if spelled wrong).

So she gave me an antibiotic and told me to put Neosporin on it until I got in to see the Dermo.

But she also took a culture of it, and said she would call me once she knows more.

The lady looked at me crazy when I said the odor was really bad, and then when I told her I can get it to drain for a culture she was like "oh ok".

Once it drained and the odor filled the room, (its gross, but kind of funny) she started to gag a little.

Imagine how I must feel smelling that all day.

Update:

When I went to the doctor they took a culture of the leakage from my chest, and put me on a Sulfa med for 10 days. They called today and said the infection is called "Bacillus", and gave me Cipro.

So we'll see what happens now. I've been cleaning my chest twice a day, and using an extringent to clean out the pores. I have also been putting bacatracin on it as well.

Does anyone know about this Bacillus??

Update:

When I went to the doctor they took a culture of the leakage from my chest, and put me on a Sulfa med for 10 days. They called today and said the infection is called "Bacillus", and gave me Cipro.

So we'll see what happens now. I've been cleaning my chest twice a day, and using an extringent to clean out the pores. I have also been putting bacatracin on it as well.

Bacillus is generic name for an entire species of bacteria that is gram positive, aerobic and endospore forming. It includes MANY different types of bacteria. Since they changed the antibiotic, I'm sure they did a culture and sensitivity on the bug to determine what would kill it. Microbiology tests color a bug to determine how it reacts to a gram stain, test its growth in oxygen, and generally use a scientific method approach to determine what the bug is. The first thing they look at usually is the shape of the bacterium as that narrows down the field considerably.

Stop using the bacitracin, particularly if you're using it over a large area UNLESS your doctor has told you to. Just keep the area clean. Simply wash it twice a day with warm water and a cleanser, maybe even try Hibiclens in the shower if your doctor says it's ok. But don't get the hibiclens in your eyes or in your ears. And don't let it sit on the skin, just wash and rinse. Don't use an astringent, either. Just take the Cipro as directed and cleanse.

You will get better and I'm glad you went to the doctor! :)

Update:

Bacillus is generic name for an entire species of bacteria that is gram positive, aerobic and endospore forming. It includes MANY different types of bacteria. Since they changed the antibiotic, I'm sure they did a culture and sensitivity on the bug to determine what would kill it. Microbiology tests color a bug to determine how it reacts to a gram stain, test its growth in oxygen, and generally use a scientific method approach to determine what the bug is. The first thing they look at usually is the shape of the bacterium as that narrows down the field considerably.

Stop using the bacitracin, particularly if you're using it over a large area UNLESS your doctor has told you to. Just keep the area clean. Simply wash it twice a day with warm water and a cleanser, maybe even try Hibiclens in the shower if your doctor says it's ok. But don't get the hibiclens in your eyes or in your ears. And don't let it sit on the skin, just wash and rinse. Don't use an astringent, either. Just take the Cipro as directed and cleanse.

You will get better and I'm glad you went to the doctor! :)

Thank you.

So you think to stop the astringent? I'm all complete with the antibiotics, but it is still draining and has some odor.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they think, but this is getting so annoying.

Also what is Hibiclens?

Thank you.

So you think to stop the astringent? I'm all complete with the antibiotics, but it is still draining and has some odor.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they think, but this is getting so annoying.

Also what is Hibiclens?

Hibiclens is a strong antimicrobial (antibacterial) cleanser. You can get it at your local pharmacy (it doesn't require a prescription). I saw some at Wal-Mart just a few days ago, too.

Thank you.

Also what is Hibiclens?

Definitely call them and tell them that the areas are still draining and there's still an odor. Maria has answered the Hibiclens question.

I called the doctor and they want me to head over to the dermatoligist. But... I called everyone one of them in this area, and the earliest is April.

Give me some advise of how to get rid of the odor please?

It is driving me insane...

I'm going to go get the Hibiclensm but I'm not sure thats going to help, unless everyone thinks otherwise.

I called the doctor and they want me to head over to the dermatoligist. But... I called everyone one of them in this area, and the earliest is April.

I'm going to go get the Hibiclensm but I'm not sure thats going to help, unless everyone thinks otherwise.

I'm surprised the dr doesn't want to see you if you are still having the odor or call in more antibiotics (which tells me that the infection isn't all the way cleared up..) Maybe go see a different dr in the meantime before you go to the derm?

Hibiclens is a really strong antimicrobial (antibacterial) - on the bottle it mentions that it is used by doctors in surgery prep. Also, it will help irrigate the area and flush out any dead skin, drainage, etc. My mom is a diabetic and when she was hospitalized for a bad dog bite, she was given something similar to keep the wound clean so you know it has to be good! I would give it a shot, it's not that pricey and is better than just doing nothing.

I am surprised that this is not mentioned more on this site: Look up Hidradenitis. By the way it is depressing so proceed with caution. Most affected by this see it in there armpits, stomach, groin, but it can occur anywhere you have sweat glands. Good Luck!

I'm surprised the dr doesn't want to see you if you are still having the odor or call in more antibiotics (which tells me that the infection isn't all the way cleared up..) Maybe go see a different dr in the meantime before you go to the derm?

Hibiclens is a really strong antimicrobial (antibacterial) - on the bottle it mentions that it is used by doctors in surgery prep. Also, it will help irrigate the area and flush out any dead skin, drainage, etc. My mom is a diabetic and when she was hospitalized for a bad dog bite, she was given something similar to keep the wound clean so you know it has to be good! I would give it a shot, it's not that pricey and is better than just doing nothing.

Yes it is very annoying that my regular doctor is pushing me off to a dermalogist like this, I understand that is their specialty, but when I cannot get in there for 3 months you would think they would do more.

I'm sooooooooo over this already, I'm a grown man that wants to cry over this condition.

I bought the Hibiclens today, so I'll give that a try. It says to wash the area twice a day, so thats what I'll do.

I am surprised that this is not mentioned more on this site: Look up Hidradenitis. By the way it is depressing so proceed with caution. Most affected by this see it in there armpits, stomach, groin, but it can occur anywhere you have sweat glands. Good Luck!

Thank you for the information. I read on it, and it does sound like what I have.

I personally think I need a strong antiobiotic to break down the infection, and I need it for a duration of time.

Are there any doctors on here that would want to give their opinion on this? You can email me privately if you don't want others to know who you are.