Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
outoflight73

hyperpigmentation?? solutions??

hi

so ive been on the regimen just over 2 months now and have definately noticed a lot of improvement. my skin is smooth probably 90-95% of the time but i am experiencing little clusters of red breakout type lesions in my problem areas. at first i though they were the acne slowly working their way out of the skin but they seem pretty persistent.

i saw the initial improvement (was very happy with that) then it went downhill a bit and got some breakouts after week 4-5 and since then my skin is smooth but these red clusters are really grating me. is this hyperpigmentation? is there anything i can take/use to get rid of them? my skin is well adapted to the BP and im on 2 pumps morning & night.

anyone got any (much appreciated) advice?? i am a 23yr old male.

Thanks,

Nick

in the spirit of this site i feel i should impart some of my experience for those just starting out....dont rush into it, although this regimen may not work for 100% of people it is the most effective thing i have personally ever used, and ive used pretty much everything. the key is to keep it up and be patient! there's a wealth of information and good, helpful people on this site so do your research. it will most likely get worse before it gets better but it will be worth it when youre acne free.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

regimen:

morning-

DKR cleanser

DKR treatment

DKR moisturiser

l'Oreal oil-free moisturiser

evening-

DKR cleanser

DKR treatment

DKR moisturiser

are these red things flat or a little raised/bumpy?

if its hyperpigmentation you would know; hyperpigmentation (also called macules) is flat, not sensitive to the touch and looks like some sun spot or liver spot on old people, only they go away with time.

if they are not, they might be some pimples which do not get larger due to you constantly applying bp on ur face, but are hard to go away. Using an exfoliator such as an aha might get them cleared up as it enables bp to penetrate deeper in your skin.

if they are hyperpigmentation aha would also help them fade, so using one is a win-win situation for you ;)

good luck ;)

thanks for your response. theyre flat and not sensitive to the touch but appear (or dont go away) once the skin has smoothed where acne was previously a problem, which led me to believe that it might be the spot taking a long time to clear. im currently using the St Ives Gentle Apricot Scrub about once a week, would using this twice a week or more be recommended? ive heard that it can be quite an irritant to the skin. also does that contain/is an AHA??

im happy that my acne has gone into some sort of remission but a blemished face leaves me feeling as though its not really all that better. hopefully they will fade with time if nothing else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

regimen:

morning-

DKR cleanser

DKR treatment

DKR moisturiser

l'Oreal oil-free moisturiser

evening-

DKR cleanser

DKR treatment

DKR moisturiser

no milk!

I'm pretty sure its hyperpigmentation. Its not active acne so you don't have to bother putting on extra products on them. When inflammation has been in the skin for some while, the area will be left red or like brown in people whose skin is Mediterranean or darker.

Try avoiding the sun while you have hyperpigmentation on your face. the sun will not even out your complexion but will increase your problem.

I don't think its actually that good of an idea to scrub. But if you really don't want to ditch your product try not using it too often (more than once a week is gross) and scrub as gently as you can - i know that's a bit of a paradox lol

to know whether it contains aha or not, check the ingredients and see whether it contains either glycolic, lactic, tartaric, malic or citric acids. Lactic and glycolic are the most used. the more towards the beginning it is, the more concentrated

However, I would still recommend that you use aha as a moisturizer every other night or so instead of a wash where the product is only on your face for a few minutes. use 8-10 % preparations

HP does go away with time. I know you feel like still with pimples on ur face and think they'll be there forever..but they won't - and it can only get better now

thanks a lot for the info. with the st ives apricot, despite its name, i dont actually scrub just smooth it over as i would any other cleanser i use these days, gently as possible. when i think back the awful things i used to do to my skin, treating it with respect has probably yielded the best results to date. just a shame i didnt realise sooner. im about to purchase some of Dan's AHA as i need some more BP anyways...despite the current exchange rates!

you would recommend using aha instead of night time cleansing? then follow with bp as usual?

sorry for all the questions, im sure you understand my reasons..... :)

Its ok man we're all here to help, and get help when we need. ;) Seeing Dan and his mission to get to the roots of acne without the excessive profits of other companies can make anyone believe in good people in this world.

Anyway...no the aha should best be used on top of the benzoyl peroxide as a moisturizer, or for people who only use bp once a day instead of the bp step. Definitely dont use it instead of a cleanser as it is not a cleanser and your face still needs to have the oils removed from the skin surface prior to treating.

Remember always to use a good sunscreen with it. This is veryyy important, as any aha can make your skin sensitive to the sun - which will make exposure much more damaging and can lead into skin cancer when you age - now nobody with acne would want to face skin cancer when they get older..its like from the frying pan into the fire. But if used correctly, it can be very good for the appearance of the skin as well as clearing your skin from acne.

good luck