Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr. matt

Subcision + Pearl Laser

Upcoming Subcision Adventure

I have created this blog to discuss my upcoming subcision procedure(s) and Pearl Laser treatment.

I got my first facial cyst when I was in the eighth grade and suffered from cystic acne for approximately 20 years thereafter.

My mother's face was severely disfigured by cystic acne and she underwent dermabrasion and two facelifts back in 1950's before better techniques for dealing with acne scars had been developed.

During my high school years, I developed several cystic lesions on my right cheek while the rest of my face was relatively unscathed by this condition. I would occasionally get cystic lesions off and on over the years after high school While I was in college, I developed severe acne on my back which caused me to go to a dermatologist for the first time in my life.

After I got married, I found a dermatologist who began to educate me on what he had learned about acne during the course of his career as a physician. He taught me about the link between caramel coloring found in soft drinks such as Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, etc and the link to acne outbreaks. He was absolutely correct: if I a soft drink with caramel coloring, I would develop a cystic lesion within hours. I learned to abstain from these types of drinks if I wanted a clearer complexion.

In 1998, I decided to have my first round of Accutane. My dermatologist told me that I could not take antibiotics during the course of the treatment and, suddenly, my face was COVERED in cystic acne. After about six weeks, though, my oil glands began to shrink and, by the end of my treatment, I no longer had any acne lesions whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I was left with a face full of deep rolling acne scars on my left and right checks, temples, and chin.

About five years ago, I developed acne on my scalp which was very itchy and uncomfortable. My doctor suggested that I use a shampoo containing Zinc. This has helped, but has not totally eliminated my scalp acne.

However, I have had no further cysts on my face or back after my Accutane treatments. Accutane proved to be a "miracle drug" for me. None of the antibiotics or medications that had been prescribed for me before Accutane totally worked. The cysts always came back.....

Now, let's flash forward.

In 2007, I went to a local dermatologist to inquire about acne scar revision options. He suggested the "Smooth Beam" laser by Cutera. I had three sessions for $800. I didn't see any noticeable improvement with my acne scars with these treatments. However, I recently returned to my doctor to inquire about subcision and he review my before and after photos with me. I did have one noticeable scar in the first photo that completely disappeared after treatment.

However, I still have a face full of rolling acne scars.

Next month, I am going to undergo my first round of subcision. I may need a second round of this followed by one or two treatments with the Pearl Laser.

I hope to post my before and after photos to show any interested readers how I progress with my treatment(s).

One last thought, I also began to self-administer 70% glycolic acid peels to my face about two years ago. I later switched to 70% lactic acid.

I found that my overall complexion and appearance improved by using the lactic acid. My younger brother who lives out-of-state and also suffers from acne scarring has commented several times on how much smoother my complexion now looks.

Lactic and glycolic acid peels won't remove acne scars, but will help with the collagen development.

Hopefully, I will get good results with the subcision and can encourage many of you out there that suffer from acne scarring.

Upcoming Subcision Adventure

I have created this blog to discuss my upcoming subcision procedure(s) and Pearl Laser treatment.

I got my first facial cyst when I was in the eighth grade and suffered from cystic acne for approximately 20 years thereafter.

My mother's face was severely disfigured by cystic acne and she underwent dermabrasion and two facelifts back in 1950's before better techniques for dealing with acne scars had been developed.

During my high school years, I developed several cystic lesions on my right cheek while the rest of my face was relatively unscathed by this condition. I would occasionally get cystic lesions off and on over the years after high school While I was in college, I developed severe acne on my back which caused me to go to a dermatologist for the first time in my life.

After I got married, I found a dermatologist who began to educate me on what he had learned about acne during the course of his career as a physician. He taught me about the link between caramel coloring found in soft drinks such as Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, etc and the link to acne outbreaks. He was absolutely correct: if I a soft drink with caramel coloring, I would develop a cystic lesion within hours. I learned to abstain from these types of drinks if I wanted a clearer complexion.

In 1998, I decided to have my first round of Accutane. My dermatologist told me that I could not take antibiotics during the course of the treatment and, suddenly, my face was COVERED in cystic acne. After about six weeks, though, my oil glands began to shrink and, by the end of my treatment, I no longer had any acne lesions whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I was left with a face full of deep rolling acne scars on my left and right checks, temples, and chin.

About five years ago, I developed acne on my scalp which was very itchy and uncomfortable. My doctor suggested that I use a shampoo containing Zinc. This has helped, but has not totally eliminated my scalp acne.

However, I have had no further cysts on my face or back after my Accutane treatments. Accutane proved to be a "miracle drug" for me. None of the antibiotics or medications that had been prescribed for me before Accutane totally worked. The cysts always came back.....

Now, let's flash forward.

In 2007, I went to a local dermatologist to inquire about acne scar revision options. He suggested the "Smooth Beam" laser by Cutera. I had three sessions for $800. I didn't see any noticeable improvement with my acne scars with these treatments. However, I recently returned to my doctor to inquire about subcision and he review my before and after photos with me. I did have one noticeable scar in the first photo that completely disappeared after treatment.

However, I still have a face full of rolling acne scars.

Next month, I am going to undergo my first round of subcision. I may need a second round of this followed by one or two treatments with the Pearl Laser.

I hope to post my before and after photos to show any interested readers how I progress with my treatment(s).

One last thought, I also began to self-administer 70% glycolic acid peels to my face about two years ago. I later switched to 70% lactic acid.

I found that my overall complexion and appearance improved by using the lactic acid. My younger brother who lives out-of-state and also suffers from acne scarring has commented several times on how much smoother my complexion now looks.

Lactic and glycolic acid peels won't remove acne scars, but will help with the collagen development.

Hopefully, I will get good results with the subcision and can encourage many of you out there that suffer from acne scarring.

Good luck, Matt! 5 days left if I recall correctly? Not long to go now! Wishing you the best, hope it goes great! Keep us posted :)