Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Notattractive!

How do I get my caramel complexion back!!!

Ok, I have a real problem as far as my skin tone & skin type.... I am african american & before my acne & scarring, my complexion was caramel like beyonce.... But years of scarring & putting stuff on my face has made my facial skin almost as dark as the actual color black. It's nothing wrong being dark skinned but It doesn't match up with my body tone which is the same color (caramel) since I didn't break out in other places on my body.I've tried almost everything everyone mentioned, I've tried so many things but nothing helps..... I'm lost & I'm afraid I'll never get my old complexion back. My face has gotten like 4 shades darker than what it used to be.. sad.gif . You can still see the caramel in places it wasn't touched but hardly. I have like 3 skin tones on me, but the dark areas really covers most of it. Plus the scarring makes me look worse..... What should I do??

I had the same problem. I have a natural asian tan. My forhead was completely covered with dark black circles from massive breakouts. It took a couple months to heal back to my natural skin tone. I used neutragena multi-vitamin acne treatment. You will get your comlexion back if you can prevent more scars from forming.

It sounds like you have melasma to me.

I. Definition:

Melasma or chloasma is a brownish discoloration of the face that occurs most often in women. Men can also develop this problem. The brown color often fades in winter and gets worse in the summer.

II. Cause:

Pregnancy (mask of pregnancy) is the most common cause of melasma.

Women who are taking oral contraceptives are at risk of developing melasma.

Sunlight is a major factor in the development of melasma.

III. Treatment:

Do not use skin lighteners or bleaching creams containing steroids. These can cause permanent skin damage including permanent redness, thinning and blood vessel streaks. Also avoid skin lighteners or bleaching creams containing mercury as this is a poison.

A strong sun screen such as Shade Lotion SPF 45 should be applied to the face each morning.

Hydroquinone 4% cream (available by prescription) applied to the face twice a day (in the morning before applying sun screen and later in the day) is the main treatment for melasma.

Retin-A cream applied to the entire face each night before bed has been shown to be an effective treatment for melasma.

If your skin has darkened as severly as you say it has I seriously doubt anything over the counter will be of benefit to you (with the exception of the sunscreen of course).

So getting this sunscreen will possibly help my face get better?? Because it's ben like this for years & I hardly break out that much, every now & then but still..... I'll give this sunscreen a try...

Also avoid skin lighteners or bleaching creams containing mercury as this is a poison.

Sunscreen will help prevent further darkening of the skin (any sunscreen will do just so long as it is broadspectrum- dermadoctor.com has a hojpaj of sunscreens that list the ingredients and are resonably priced), you'll need the hydroquinone cream to actually fade the skin and the 4% is by prescription only.

In some foreign countries like China they've used mercury in products in the past.

Hey CelineCarey! I've tried Hydroquonine products with no luck... Well maybe because I've only used the 2% products but do you know of a good product that actually lightens your skin with Hydroquonine!! Also I've already tried the Black Opal product...

Check out this article from dermadoctor.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter55.asp

It lists both prescription and overthecounter products for melasma. Prescription strength hydroquinone will give you the quickest results.

My aunt uses this cream called black/white (it comes in a lilac box-it's sold at Walgreens, Jewel etc) and granted it has lightened her skin (the results aren't that dramatic) but she's been using it since she was a teenager and she is now 32.

I've used Melanex (a 3% hydroquinone solution) on dark spots left by pimples and they have faded in like 6-8weeks instead of the usually 8-12wks when they are left to fade on their own. The OTC stuff never worked for me either. As long as it takes to work it makes you wonder, is it the product that's fading my dark spots or are the spots fading on their own and did I just waste my money on this stuff ](*,) ?

That sunscreen they list on the website, the Total Block Clear, may leave a white cast on your skin (there's been some debate on the Board). If you're gonna use a physical sunblock find one that has microionized zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

http://www.dermstore.com/byany_tid40showal...lltruepage2.htm

I plan on trying this one myself:

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Vanicream...SPF+35_1011.htm

Anyway, hope this helps!

I recommend vicoo tumeric cream, it returns your skin back to the lightest part on your body like the underarm area or the chest!

Go to www.exposedskincare.com... It's great! You will get your color back and have beautiful and healthy skin. You will not even want to wear make-up, because you will be noticed for your healthy complexion! I know, I suffered for years and now, people who knew me when say Wow! No, it's not a commercial, it really works -- give yourself about 3 months of the complete routine, plus exercise, healthy eating-- water, fruits, vegetables -- for good measure and viola! It's not an overnight sensation, and they recommend you gradually wean yourself off the product(s/kit), so you are not stuck using it in fear that if you stop your sking goes back.

I have a similiar problem,once was caramel complected now im a few shades darker in areas of my face.its terrible. i dont recommend regular peels like jessners,,glycolics,ect. no bleaching creams no lighteners it wont fade to the same color, you will have uneven pigment like me. im living proof. i use makeup by cover fx to even it out. im getting the "vi peel"in a few weeks, its sheds about 12 layers of skin and is the only peel safe enough for all skin tones even darker african american skin tones. i found out about it yesterday and have my appoitment booked. it really seems to be a magic peel, so im very excited. you should look at the website http://www.vipeel.com/Vi_Peel_about.asp

there is this darker woman on there that had it done i was amazed by her results.good luck :D

march 29,2011- i had the vi peel like i said i would and i wasted tons of money on something that did not make a change at all. very dissapointed. if you are going to get someting done get a series and with someone who has tons of experience working with black skin or they can scar you.

Ok, I have a real problem as far as my skin tone & skin type.... I am african american & before my acne & scarring, my complexion was caramel like beyonce.... But years of scarring & putting stuff on my face has made my facial skin almost as dark as the actual color black. It's nothing wrong being dark skinned but It doesn't match up with my body tone which is the same color (caramel) since I didn't break out in other places on my body.I've tried almost everything everyone mentioned, I've tried so many things but nothing helps..... I'm lost & I'm afraid I'll never get my old complexion back. My face has gotten like 4 shades darker than what it used to be.. :( . You can still see the caramel in places it wasn't touched but hardly. I have like 3 skin tones on me, but the dark areas really covers most of it. Plus the scarring makes me look worse..... What should I do??
Edited by lalovelyj