Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hina79

Do South Asians and black ppl have more acne than whites?

I rarely see any adults having moderate/severe acne and those that I do see tend to be south asians or blacks rather than whites. I know couple of white girls who get tiny pimples on their chin but the rest of their face is super clear and they dont have oily, shiny faces. So their acne is probably hormonally related and not b/c of overall oily skin. I read somewhere that oily skin is thicker than dry skin. Is it possible that people living in warmer climates have thicker skin to protect them from UV radiation of Sun? And white people have thinner skin so their skin can absorb vitamin D from the limited sun they do get? But thicker skin would also mean getting more deep rooted pimples?

By Asian do you mean Chinese/Korean etc.? Most of them have really clear skin, I think they have thinner skin too?

I rarely see any adults having moderate/severe acne and those that I do see tend to be south asians or blacks rather than whites. I know couple of white girls who get tiny pimples on their chin but the rest of their face is super clear and they dont have oily, shiny faces. So their acne is probably hormonally related and not b/c of overall oily skin. I read somewhere that oily skin is thicker than dry skin. Is it possible that people living in warmer climates have thicker skin to protect them from UV radiation of Sun? And white people have thinner skin so their skin can absorb vitamin D from the limited sun they do get? But thicker skin would also mean getting more deep rooted pimples?

Not to stereotype but yup, I've seen quite a few Asians with acne, if not acne, really oily skin, and oily hair (Asian's are still beautiful though, of course), not all of them are like this though. I'm talking about the teens/young adults I've seen, not adults.

Well you are stereotyping.... plus how could u be so sure we have more acne... i mean i'm asian and my family has flawless skin... 1 pimple the next day gone...but we tend to scar more easily... i think

well anyways plz stop stereotyping

Well you are stereotyping.... plus how could u be so sure we have more acne... i mean i'm asian and my family has flawless skin... 1 pimple the next day gone...but we tend to scar more easily... i think

Let's not be over-cautious here. I haven't seen any stereotyping, just discussion over different skin types in people of different colours. And it might very well be true. Blacks and asians skin are adapted for large amounts of sunlight, so with the extra pigment, maybe there are some other differences as well.

I've only got one semi-black in my class at school, so i guess my observatiouns wouldn't make the most reliable material, but i've noticed his skin has less acne than me, but his hyperpigmentations seems to stick around forever. Now, that could be personal too, but i've got a feeling that pigments might have something to say in this.

My skin is also quite dark compared to the other people around me, and my hyperpigmentation spots seem to linger for a longer amount of time compared to the really white ones as well.

Let's not be over-cautious here. I haven't seen any stereotyping, just discussion over different skin types in people of different colours. And it might very well be true. Blacks and asians skin are adapted for large amounts of sunlight, so with the extra pigment, maybe there are some other differences as well.

I've only got one semi-black in my class at school, so i guess my observatiouns wouldn't make the most reliable material, but i've noticed his skin has less acne than me, but his hyperpigmentations seems to stick around forever. Now, that could be personal too, but i've got a feeling that pigments might have something to say in this.

My skin is also quite dark compared to the other people around me, and my hyperpigmentation spots seem to linger for a longer amount of time compared to the really white ones as well.

But...ummm isn't that still stereotyping i mean EVERYONE has different skin... its our genetics :]

also ummm i kinda didn't understand what u said up there becuase u used big words....

Guest Lee H

First, Trulsey, Asians actually evolved to a cold climate much like Europeans. In fact so much so that they distribute fat evenly over their bodies, hence a more yellowish pigmentation.

Acne occurs at higher levels in industrialized societies. The most industrialized societies being Western and Northeast Asian, hence more Whites and North Asians seem to have acne. Most African-Americans possess some European ancestry and therefore carry similar genes, they are equally subjected to Western environments and diet. Melanin has been shown to exhibit bacterioseptic properties and therefore Africans are more resistant to skin infections.

In terms of adult acne... I think it is pretty much even. Most females under 35 seem to get acne at some point or another for the duration of their young lives. I am White and many of my relatives in their 40's still get a zit or two or three. So I think we have a lack of cause and correlation between race and adult acne.

well i'm vietnamese and when i went to vietnam the people there were really prone to acne..i think it was mostly the pollution and humid hot weather but yea i also noticed asians are more prone to blackheads..we have thickish skin. but it's not the thick skin that's the problem it's because we have a problem where the shedding of our dead cells is defective causing it pile and block pores very easily.

I didn't say that all Asians have acne, a lot of them don't, but in my personal experience, the ones I have gone to school with, almost all of them had the same skin type (oily, with acne), and the majority wore glasses :think:

Yes. This is stereotyping, just not derogatory stereotyping.

I haven't really seen more or less of any of the races mentioned.

Yes. This is stereotyping, just not derogatory stereotyping.

I haven't really seen more or less of any of the races mentioned.

I really don't see how it's stereotyping. I would consider it stereotyping if someone were to say "ALL Asians have acne!". The people here are only pointing out how we see a big percentage of them with it, I myself have seen Asian's with clear skin.

I don't really know about actual acne, it's pretty evenly distributed across the races at my school. But I have noticed that all the asians or african americans that I've seen have more severe hyperpigmentation and it sticks around longer. I'm half persian, so I think that maybe why I get more brown spots and they stay longer than all of my pale friends who think they have "acne".