Notifications
Clear all

best time to take accutane

MemberMember
(@geo-c)

Posted : 01/09/2009 3:42 pm

Hello can someone tell me the best time to take your accutane pills is it morning or night.

I have been told to eat my evening meal first then take my pills straight after is this correct.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@tray10)

Posted : 01/09/2009 4:04 pm

You don't take your pills twice a day? I take mine twice a day...once in the morning with breakfast and once at night with dinner. It's better to take it with food because food helps it absorb in your system faster.

MemberMember
(@shar26)

Posted : 01/09/2009 4:11 pm

I have to take 3 a day, so i have one in the morning with a glass of milk, another at tea time just after eating my dinner then another at night time with a glass of milk. Seems to work fine for me :), think its more preferred to take it with food but if not have it with milk.

MemberMember
(@dcb1001)

Posted : 01/09/2009 7:18 pm

Make sure it's a fatty meal. I make sure to eat cheese, butter, or salad dressing before I take my Accutane.

MemberMember
(@yo-adrienne)

Posted : 01/10/2009 2:24 am

in the little info guide, it says to take 1 pill twice a day unless otherwise directed by your doctor. i take one at breakfast and one at dinner

MemberMember
(@brokentail)

Posted : 01/10/2009 3:49 am

I just started today my doc said to take 2 at the same time. i chose breakfast. peanutbutter on a waffle.

im on 60mg to start.

MemberMember
(@h6h)

Posted : 01/18/2010 2:50 pm

Does any1 kno how many hours apart they shud be? because my first meal is around noon, and i have a relatively early dinner. I'm on 40 mg twice daily.

MemberMember
(@jacobi)

Posted : 02/27/2010 2:06 pm

I'm curious about this as well!

MemberMember
(@gday123)

Posted : 02/27/2010 6:30 pm

im pretty sure most ppl take it 2x a day. my dr told me to take it 1x after breakfast and 1x at dinner.

MemberMember
(@georgehudd)

Posted : 02/27/2010 6:32 pm

it doesnt matter WHEN you take the dose as long as it is a REGULAR intervals :)

also dcb1001 is very true, cant stress this enough, you must take your dose with a high fat content meal / supplement, as accutane/isotretinoin is a retinoidal vitamin-A derivative, it needs to betaken with a dose of fats so it is digested and absorbed as efficiently as possble.

for example i used to take my dose before bed, with a spinach and tomato salad with three massive spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil dumped on top :)

MemberMember
(@purby)

Posted : 07/18/2013 6:37 am

I'm tentative about taking this med at night especially since it has been advised that it's taken with a fatty meal to assist its absorption, i cannot eat a fatty meal at night then go to bed that would cause me to gain some weight. So can I take it in the morning after breakfast and daytime after lunch instead? I'm supposed to take 40mg a day broken into 20mg x2... Please help!

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/18/2013 5:17 pm

I'm tentative about taking this med at night especially since it has been advised that it's taken with a fatty meal to assist its absorption, i cannot eat a fatty meal at night then go to bed that would cause me to gain some weight. So can I take it in the morning after breakfast and daytime after lunch instead? I'm supposed to take 40mg a day broken into 20mg x2... Please help!

Yes, that's fine as long as you take your pills with food each time to maximise absorption. This may be particularly important if you are taking a generic version of Accutane.

post-145613-1305935928_thumb.jpg

(Click graph)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6582073

MemberMember
(@richardb)

Posted : 07/18/2013 10:20 pm

Since so much of it is stored in fatty tissue, I think it's okay to take it once a day (I do), especially if you'll forget otherwise. Twice a day would keep it more even, but I'm not sure that's really necessary, because we're looking at cumulative dosage.