Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greeneyes44

Need good moisturizer recommendations

Hello,

I am on a new regimen for the last 3 weeks and while it's helping keep new breakouts somewhat at bay, the bad thing is my skin has become VERY DRY.

Here is my current regimen

AM

wash with just water or Cetaphil cleanser

Smooth Glycolic pad over face

apply finacea to help reduce redness and scars

moisturize with Purpose

apply make up (all oil free)

Spironolactone 25mg

PM

wash with cetaphil cleanser

apply Duac (bp and clindamycin combo)

apply differin gel

apply netrogena on the spot BP

moisturize with Purpose

Spironolactone 25mg

I am 39 y/o and prior to the regimen couldn't see any wrinkles on my face. Now since adding BP at night my skin is very dry and flaky and my face looks dry, stretched, and prune like in the area where I spot treat with the BP - on my chin and lower face area.

I tihink I am using too much BP but I notice the more you put on the more it does shrink up the nasties. But I think it's irriating my skin in other ways...

The regimen is working at keeping oil production down but I don't want to trade big ugly zits for prune like wrinkly skin. WTF, can't I ever just have normal skin??

Can anyone recommend a good heavy duty oil free moisturizer that will NOT clog my pores or make me break out? The Purpose moisturizer has worked for me for years but not with my current regimen.

Thanks in advance,

Green

I'm no expert (there are a lot more people on here that are) but it sounds to me like you're putting a lot of different things on your skin, different types of treatments. If I did that it would definitely aggravate my skin.

I mean - is it good to use 3 different topical acne products at once?

Maybe if you could cut one or two of them out, that would help with the dryness and general skin condition?

I just started using a paraben-free moisturiser that I found in TK Max, it's called 'Skin Food' and there is a light moisturiser and a rich moisturiser. I bought the light one and it's really nice and moisturising. Alternatively, maybe the moisturiser from Dan's regime would be good? I've been reading on here that some people combine this with Jojoba oil to try to combat the extreme drying/redness/flaking effects of BP.

Cetaphil cream is mega moisturizing and you can still put makeup over it.

Oddly enough, Cetaphil cleanser dries my skin.

I think you are right UK lady, it's too many things they have me on. I'm just not sure which one is causing the most dryness. I suspect it's the BP spot treatment and I should try cutting back on that. I just hate to stop using it when it seems to keep the pimples under control, but its also not worth the irritation I'm experiencing.

It is really bad to the point when I put on my foundation which is the Estee Lauder Double wear that everyone here recommends....it covers everything but looks so incredibly CAKEY after 20 minutes because my skin is so dry.

I've also been layering on the Purpose moisturizer really heavy to dry to try to help things but now I'm afraid that is clogging my pores b/c I'm starting to break out again...ugh!!

BigPore - what Cetaphil cream is that? There are a couple different kinds. I looked at a few of them

but was concerned at the ingredients listed Macadamia Nut Oil, so it is not oil free and would probably break me out.

Thanks for the advice and anyone else please recommend your favorite moisturizers

With winter, I have some major flaking going on, and have found a few things that work but the best for me right now is Bio-Oil. I trust oil more now than I used to since Jojoba Oil didn't break me out. Bio-Oil is lighter than Jojoba but I wake up with smoother, less flaky skin. I have cetaphil, emu, complex 15, alpha hydrox moisturizer, but this has worked the best. In the am, after I put on my topicals, I put a very light amount on before I put on my makeup, it absorbs well.

Another thing that has worked for me is an aha lotion. the Aha helps with the flakes and though it isn't a moisturizer, it seems to help. I ran out, or else I would be using. I like Alpha Hydrox and I have heard that Dan's is really good too.

If you have aquaphor, you can consider layering that over your purpose before you go to bed at night, it will help lock in the moisture and you can wash it off in the am.

I know you are going to a dr., but you are kinda doing alot to your face each day and night - a combo of all of that will definitely make your skin look like leather...Good luck in finding what works for you....

Try Silcocks base. It's very cheap and over the counter. It's an intense moisurizer though so might be better as a regular treatment, rather than a make-up base.

Hello,

I am on a new regimen for the last 3 weeks and while it's helping keep new breakouts somewhat at bay, the bad thing is my skin has become VERY DRY.

Here is my current regimen

AM

wash with just water or Cetaphil cleanser

apply finacea to help reduce redness and scars

moisturize with Purpose

apply make up (all oil free)

Spironolactone 25mg

PM

wash with cetaphil cleanser

apply Duac (bp and clindamycin combo)

apply differin gel

apply netrogena on the spot BP

moisturize with Purpose

Spironolactone 25mg

I am 39 y/o and prior to the regimen couldn't see any wrinkles on my face. Now since adding BP at night my skin is very dry and flaky and my face looks dry, stretched, and prune like in the area where I spot treat with the BP - on my chin and lower face area.

I tihink I am using too much BP but I notice the more you put on the more it does shrink up the nasties. But I think it's irriating my skin in other ways...

The regimen is working at keeping oil production down but I don't want to trade big ugly zits for prune like wrinkly skin. WTF, can't I ever just have normal skin??

Can anyone recommend a good heavy duty oil free moisturizer that will NOT clog my pores or make me break out? The Purpose moisturizer has worked for me for years but not with my current regimen.

Thanks in advance,

Green

Hello, in reading your post the first thing that came to my mind is that you may possibly be overloading your skin with too many different products. Of course I'm no dem, but those are a lot of different products.

I can tell you this though, I'm 35 and was sufferning with adult acne and constantly had dry skin, with EVERY moisturizing lotion breaking me out and then my derm recommended CeraVE lotion, which was developed by dermatologists and it works to moisturize, restore and maintain a protective skin barrier. Let me tell you this stuff is AWESOME!!!! I have tried all kinds of lotion with no luck, but this stuff really works and it WONT cause breakouts! I even used it along with my Retin A and got great results, and my skin is clear now. Check it out on the reviews here, it got excellent reviews, and you can find it at Walgreens. Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

Good luck!

Allison

Thanks everyone these are really great suggestions. I haven't heard of half of them :)

I'm very interested on the AHA moisturizer, is that something you can only get at the Derm? I have

a follow up appt with them in 2 week and should ask about it or can you get OTC?

The CeraVE sounds promising I am concerned the product info doesn't say it's oil free though. Maybe I will give it a try.

This dryness is sooooo annoying.

The one person mentioned the jojoba oil, I think i would be waaaaay too afraid to put that kind of heavy oil on my face. Despite my dryness I have super large pores and I'm afraid of what most new stuff will do, esp if an oil based product.

I've got back on my products the last couple days on everyones recommendation. I hope that makes a difference in the skin texture going back to being smooth....ugh!