Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? I know exactly what you mean. Unless bad things are directly impacting your dad's/mom's/friends' lives they could care less and it's irritating. Nike, nothing is wrong with you. You're a thinker and sensitive to reality. I'm right there with you and get down about this stuff. Others around me think I'm nuts because wow, what a concept, I actually worry and care about our dysfunctional world and society.

There are only two solutions I can think of for you to try in order to find some inner peace:

1) Work on distancing yourself. Do something new that will take your mind off of it.

2) Get yourself involved somehow to where you feel like you're making a difference.

You, alone, can't change the world. Nobody can. It takes teamwork. You could join an organization, research something that bothers you about our world and write an article, journal, or book. Volunteer in your local community. To me it sounds like you're about to crawl out of your skin because you want to do something about everything that bothers you, but don't know how. Putting yourself to work might help. You'll run into heartache and want to choke people's brains out, but you'll also feel good knowing you're contributing for the greater good.

you and i feel the same way.. many times im always depressed but i try not to show it, i hav the same problem with very low or no self confidence due to acne and im completely confused about the everything. for me i jus look for one thing: Happiness. its hard to find and sometimes i think it doesnt exist but i still look. i also think that happiness is formed through us. its lives through the things we hav and achieved. its like a choice. my happiness would consist of clear skin and no marks, a good looking body and not being alone.

think about what you want, and what makes you happy.

I get what you are saying Nike. Last year I took a really intense class on Global Problems in the culture of capitalism and...it was horrific. Yes, the class was fascinating, but we learned about so much wretched problems, some of which I had never heard about...and there were no solutions.

Then I paused.

There are no solutions, right? Well...now is the time to make some. I study foreign affairs on a daily basis when school is in, and yes, it is easy to be sucked into a black hole of cynism and pessimism, but it's worth it to challenge yourself and see these events as problems that do have a solution. That's what has helped me. I consider myself pretty optimistic in life...and thinking of myself as part of the solution one day...even if it is to just one problem that helps one person...is worth it all.

I will agree with you on that not having religion would make my life a lot harder to live, but that is me. I'm actually glad that you didn't stick with something you don't believe in. That's just as bad as not having one at all, if you look at it from that perspective. I can't tell you what to do for that, besides maybe explore other religions further? Oh, and you know just as well as I that simply being a bystander in a religion means nothing. I'm not Catholic, but the point of Confession is to mean it, I understand...not just get a get out of jail free card and then go right back to doing the same sinful behavior. I'm no expert on that though.

I will have to say that I'm confused on a daily basis as to where my future is heading, but it's okay. That just means you have a lot of options, and that is most certainly something to be thankful for. =)

I can really relate to your post and the feelings you described. I spend a lot of my time just thinking; about the world, about the issues that occur on a daily basis, I think about the human race, about people in general and I ask myself thousands of questions..

At times I don't feel like I even really know who I am, and I feel really empty. It's like I'm searching for something (maybe whatever it is that will make me happy, I don't know), but I don't know what, and so it's useless..

I have the same problem with religion too. I was born into a Catholic family and brought up that way, but naturally as I got older I began to question it, and I came to the conclusion that I just can't believe in something so compromising as a religion when I don't know if it's true or not - but that's what faith is isn't it? Being able to believe in something because you have an unquestionable faith - that's just not me. I've tried it, I can't do it. You would only be lying to yourself as you don't really believe it.

Unfortunately the world isn't a "happy place" as I think everyone would like to believe; but take §iava's advice, do something to help someone out, join a community, help out a charity etc..

And maybe instead of focusing on everything that's wrong, take some time out to focus on and appreciate everything that's beautiful about the world; because it's there so don't let everything that's wrong with it ruin the beauty that's all around too.

Dude like others have been saying, I too can relate to what you're feeling right now. I've been through a stage where everything felt wrong, and I wanted everything to be right, but then you would realize there wasn't much you could do about it.

What you gotta do is quit worrying about stuff you can't control, and instead focus your energy on what you can control. You seem like a smart person, I bet if you did that, you could get a lot of stuff done.

I would recommend reading. Not any reading- self-improvement reading. That may have negative connotations- I'm not implying that there's anything wrong with you; there's not, but there's always room for improvement.

When I was in your position, I too felt depressed and hopeless. Then I heard about "The Alchemist." This book is awesome, you should definitely read it.

Basically, keep doing positive things in your life. Learn, take part in community service, become a better person, etc. etc. and you'll naturally begin to feel better.

I just read the part where you mentioned you've done community service. OK.

Then you talked about watching the news. Don't, it's a bunch of bullshit. Look, why worry about the shit you have no control over? Whether you worry about it or not, it's gonna happen, it's there. It's one of those things you just have to accept. The world will never be "perfect." I can't even begin to picture a "perfect" world; I don't know what it would look like.

You just gotta live life. Spend time with your friends. Have fun. That's what life is about, enjoy it. Instead of wondering what life is supposed to be, or how fucked up it is, stop standing in the sidelines and instead go and live it to your fullest, whatever that may be.

Pretend you have a terminal illness. You would probably drop everything you're doing in that situation, right? And then you would do everything you've always wanted to do. Skydive. Travel. Learn to dance. Face a phobia. You would make the most of your moments of life right?

Well people who HAVE gone through that situation and done those things actually cured their illness because of the positivity and adrenaline running through them. They felt so alive that the illness went away.

Why not do it now, without the impending threat of an illness?

I don't know, maybe I'm preaching to the wrong choir here but you gotta cheer up, and I have to stop giving you metaphors and anecdotes. Hope everything goes well with you bro.

^ No offense taken and I will go look for that book "The Alchemist"! I did all kinds of reading when I was at a low point, and I especially loved these books by an author named Osho.

I like the idea of life being a giant nothing. For now, that is what will help me get better.

I'm not sure how to respond...

I feel the same way in a sense. I don't think there's a purpose, but it's not nothing per se. We're here so may as well make the best of it even though others choose to live their lives irresponsibly or violently. I so hear you regarding the news. It's hard to stomach after awhile and there's not enough happy news reported. There are reasons for that though. For one, happy news doesn't bring up the ratings. Second, humans are violent. Just because we have high intelligence doesn't change the fact that we're a combative species. Just think of all the rules of life in general and laws we have to follow. As soon as we're able to understand them, rules and social norms are shoved down our throats. Is it any wonder we're nutty?

Have you ever read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn? This book gives some insight on what I'm talking about. It doesn't "speak" to some people, but it did to me. I knew how I felt about humanity, but couldn't formulate my feelings into words. This book summed up those feelings nicely.

Very few people live completely in the service of others. I'm tempted to say everybody is selfish, but I know there are one or two saints out there. Carve out your niche and spread as much love as you can in the doing so, I believe that's all we can do. In a way a 'tunnel vision' perspective can get you to a better place and thats probably why people like to live in ignorance.

I sometimes wish I had proper faith just to put my mind at rest about everything, Christianity as an anesthetic for reality is probably not the best motive though.

I agree with UFO. The ratio of do-somethings vs. do-nothings is totally disproportioned. I think you are a do-something and really could make a difference in people's lives.

I feel like I'm losing it. Do I need a pill or something, so I can zone out and forget everything that is going on with the world? I try my hardest to stay positive, but that is only on this website. With this financial crisis and the never ending war, I feel so depressed. I don't have much self-esteem because acne ripped away my confidence. With all of the problems everywhere, how am I supposed to block it out? Do I pretend the world is still a happy place like my parents said?

Maybe my life would have been easier if I stuck with the religion I was born with. Then I could go to church and pray for guidance, and see the next glimmer of hope as a "sign". Maybe rejecting religion wasn't such a good idea. If I forced myself to follow, then I could have believed a guardian angel is on my shoulder or whatever. Going to church for an hour a week, and saying grace at the dinner table isn't so hard. If I were to sin, I can always go to confession and recite my five Hail Mary prayers. Forgiven in an instant.

But I chose another route, and now I am completely clueless. I'm depressed and lonely. I have friends and family I can talk to, but nobody wants to hear about problems. I envy the happiness I see others show, but I know better to believe that. They aren't happy. I don't believe anyone is truly happy. I think those people I see are just mentally stronger. They have the ability to block out the horrors and unrealistic expectations of the real world, but I think they all go home and cry alone sometimes. The only difference is that these people are crying to a god, and I'm crying out to a giant nothing. Is anyone else confused and depressed about anything? I'm getting to a point where I am sick of everything, and I want to get this shit over with. I am not talking about suicide, but I am beginning to feel really jealous of those who have passed away. I want to fall asleep and never wake up. The only thing that makes me happy now is helping somebody else with a problem.

I guess I'll take your advice. Wake up and do something I enjoy. Find a hobby. Soul search. I've done it all, and frankly, I still end up right back at ground zero. I wish I could be like Harry Stewart. He plays the character sweetbread in that movie Cadence (Or maybe his name is just sweet, I don't know). He sings that beautiful song that plays through the credits, I think it is called End of my Journey. Every time I listen to that song, I feel at peace. That guy, Harry Stewart is homeless and lives off of the scraps in a garbage can. He has absolutely nothing, but has everything that I want. Peace. I've already tried giving up my life to a creator. I wrote about it earlier, but no. Not for me. I'll just tough it out like everyone else does. I'm nobody special. I'm sorry for being all over the place, but this does relate to acne, because acne played a large role in bringing me to these thoughts. I'll just keep trying to block out the things I can't control, and do the only thing I can do which is to keep going. This post did help for me so thanks for reading. How do some of you deal with bouts of depression and feelings of emptiness?

are you being effected, personally from the financial crisis? or do you have friends/family members in the military?

if your answer is no for both, then I would watch the news less. trust me, only the people who are afflicted with either one of those things has A LOT more to worry about. you will be fine. and always remember this: THE SPOON DOESN'T BEND ITSELF, IT'S YOUWHO BENDS.

we make our own realities, it starts with you and the way you handle it. so, I'd suggest that you still keep up to date with the current events, but don't feel hopeless about it, instead, prepare yourself for what could be next. things will be okay!

At your age, everyone gets lost. Soul searching is at its peak for late-teenagers and young adults. The solution to your problem could be something as simple as being in love and finding a girlfriend or as complicated as understanding what drives you. You say helping others on this site gives you peace, perhaps you should look more into that, and why it does. By the end of your post you seemed more content than when you started it, perhaps writing is what you should look into. I always tell everyone, if you aren't passionate about anything, why are you bothering to get out of bed. Find what drives you, or go back to sleep.

Yea, ignorance is bliss, it truly is. But if my entire life is driven by a facade, if my eyes are set on illusions, if my optimism is blind, its like your doing everything in your power to avoid life itself. Life is a rollercoaster, as down as you feel now, you'll soon feel up again. That's going to happen your entire life. But to limit feeling down as much as possible, as aforementioned, find what drives you. It may take days, months, or years, but you'll find it eventually. Everyone does. It's depressing I know, hell it depressed me just writing all these cliches. Better yet, ignore everything I just wrote. It's pompous to think that I or anyone else on here has the solution for you, I don't know it myself. When you find the solution to happiness, let me know.

^ No offense taken and I will go look for that book "The Alchemist"! I did all kinds of reading when I was at a low point, and I especially loved these books by an author named Osho.

I like the idea of life being a giant nothing. For now, that is what will help me get better.

I'm not sure how to respond...

I feel the same way in a sense. I don't think there's a purpose, but it's not nothing per se. We're here so may as well make the best of it even though others choose to live their lives irresponsibly or violently. I so hear you regarding the news. It's hard to stomach after awhile and there's not enough happy news reported. There are reasons for that though. For one, happy news doesn't bring up the ratings. Second, humans are violent. Just because we have high intelligence doesn't change the fact that we're a combative species. Just think of all the rules of life in general and laws we have to follow. As soon as we're able to understand them, rules and social norms are shoved down our throats. Is it any wonder we're nutty?

Have you ever read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn? This book gives some insight on what I'm talking about. It doesn't "speak" to some people, but it did to me. I knew how I felt about humanity, but couldn't formulate my feelings into words. This book summed up those feelings nicely.

i totally get that nutty part. also nutty people, like us, also have a certain look about them. i guess it's an unnaproachable one cuz it seems like ppl don't want to be around me. while the normal blissful ppl have that wide-eyed innocence about them.

Of course it will be. That's the "correct" and "polite" way to respond...right? If that's what you really want then yes, go for it. If it's not...well, you've got some hardcore thinking to do.