Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Éowyn

B5 overdosing is scary

Hi everyone.

I'm at my wits end about acne.

I've started taking 20 b5 pills daily, working it up gradually over the past week.

Don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up because money is tight for me right now.

I am worried though. We don't know if it's safe and I don't want my hair to thin.

Does anyone else worry that it's dangerous? Has anyone here experienced hair loss?

I just CAN'T deal with this skin anymore, can't believe I've resorted to taking so many pills that I found out about over the internet, but I can't look in the mirror at this anymore.

hope you can assuage my fears or just tell me your experiences. Does anyone else feel the danger here?

from a very down Éowyn.

Hey girl, i hear you about looking at yourself. I went thru the same thing. Please STOP with b5. It is not worth it. TRUST ME. Anything you take for acne WILL have side effects. What if you woke up tomorrow with hip pain that never goes away? I guarantee that would be worse than acne.

My advice is to seriously cut down on the amount of food you eat. I ate carrots, celery, coconut oil, butter, salt, chicken, lettuce and olive oil for 2 months and I cleared up completely. Please try diet before you OD on supplements.

Also, just stop the BP. I was reading your posts. It does more harm than good. Just stop caring about your skin for 2 months while you work on diet. It's not easy but acne is temporary, once you clear up everything will be so much easier.

Hi everyone.

I'm at my wits end about acne.

I've started taking 20 b5 pills daily, working it up gradually over the past week.

Don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up because money is tight for me right now.

I am worried though. We don't know if it's safe and I don't want my hair to thin.

Does anyone else worry that it's dangerous? Has anyone here experienced hair loss?

I just CAN'T deal with this skin anymore, can't believe I've resorted to taking so many pills that I found out about over the internet, but I can't look in the mirror at this anymore.

hope you can assuage my fears or just tell me your experiences. Does anyone else feel the danger here?

from a very down Éowyn.

your very biochemical state of fear as it is labeled by the word, is a part of your health, so step one- relax. because you deserve to be relaxed, it is to your benefit regardless of the state of your face or your life. Let it all go for a while, the future is uncertain and with this uncertainty then it will be equally possible that your solution will be found, so you are logically justified in truly being hopeful as well as relaxed, it is healthy to be both.

Ive tried b5 and it didnt do anything for me, and yes vitamins in high quantity can affect the status of other vitamins but this is something about stuff like minerals like cal/mag potassium/sodium zinc/copper which are all minerals though. so vitamins like b5 pantothenic acid i do not have too much knowledge of , it is possible that b5 can over work your kidneys which may not be good, as anything extra your body doesnt use, is pissed out or eliminated some way. This again, you would have to research to double check, but im just telling you somethings to consider for possible truthfullness.

For whatever reasons you have become certain that this b5 thing will work or help, who knows it "MIGHT" work, but it is purely experimental and still just a hypothesis, anything might happen, but the great thing about science is reliability, but even accutane isnt as reliable as it claims to be having seen people take it 3,4,5,6 times in their lifetime, its obvious there is something not quite right about it yet, but it does serve a purpose for truly horrific cases. And yet many many people use it once perhaps only for three months, then they are done for life, and i know some of these people personally, yet i still chose not to take the drug due to complication during the first two weeks.

Ive found that relaxing, improving my life and improving my diet was able to help me alot after some time, perhaps these are things you may want to try before pursuing accutane. If you get all the vitamins and minerals you need in various quantitys, improving your emotional well being and life situations or various issues besides acne, things can improve, although i cannot promise acne will dissappear, although that is in the realm of possiblity, just as it is with b5.

With understanding health, life itself and science, all things are connected somehow, every vitamin affects the functioning of your body, every macronutrient carb type, protien, and fat type, then on to how your mind interprets the meaning of events that you react to emotionally that will instill an emotional change, or the functioning/metabolism of your body. just as science attempts to manipulate all the ways your body is connected to your sebacoues gland by selling yor a drug, you can as well manipulate all the ways your mind and your diet are connected to your body and although not precisely direct, ultimately your sebaceous gland. we simply see the effects of prior causes, the complexity of causes the results in the effect of acne are interactions that are multiple, in other words there may not be any ONE cause(which becomes evident with topicals then antibiotics to manipulate acne) as if you were to research epigenetics or nutrigenomics, you will learn that your genes change over time due to various chronic causes.

Perhaps chronic emotions, chronic bad diet over time with genetic susepctability will induce changes in your bodys functioning, so you see there may not be any one true cause. Even if you were to take accutane see it as buying you time so you can fix everything else that may have caused that, you are STILL going to have to learn about improving your health regardless.

I hope that was somewhat helpful and puts you in a direction, or gives you some ideas about where to go from here.

Hey girl, i hear you about looking at yourself. I went thru the same thing. Please STOP with b5. It is not worth it. TRUST ME. Anything you take for acne WILL have side effects. What if you woke up tomorrow with hip pain that never goes away? I guarantee that would be worse than acne.

My advice is to seriously cut down on the amount of food you eat. I ate carrots, celery, coconut oil, butter, salt, chicken, lettuce and olive oil for 2 months and I cleared up completely. Please try diet before you OD on supplements.

Also, just stop the BP. I was reading your posts. It does more harm than good. Just stop caring about your skin for 2 months while you work on diet. It's not easy but acne is temporary, once you clear up everything will be so much easier.

there is a possibility bp may make acne worse, it is proven by science it is an oxidant and knowing about certain theorys of disease itself, oxidants actually cause disease, so over the long term this stuff just isnt worth it and may change the quality of your skin by damaging dna. Oxidants destroy molecular bonds, this includes DNA programming for cellular functioning. It wil age your skin, perhaps that is why mine has aged so much. been using that crap on and off for a long time.

Im not thrilled either about megadosing on B5 but I really think its been helping me & at this point I feel like I'm willing to risk other health ailments for clear skin.

Im not thrilled either about megadosing on B5 but I really think its been helping me & at this point I feel like I'm willing to risk other health ailments for clear skin.

Imagine back pain everyday of your life. Never being able to sit or stand for long periods of time. Pain, chronic pain that only gets worse with age, that will never go away, and that will flare up when you eat too much.

Seriously, don't be a moron.

why don't u go see a doctor/derm and see what they say about ur skin? they can prescribe u something in the right dosage, so its not so dangerous. Believe me, I KNOW how u feel. I told my mom Id shave ten years off my life just to be acne free. She said Id regret that when Im 60 haha

well B5 is water soluble so you can't overdose you just pee it out. I take it also I just started but I do like 2 or 3 grams a day not 10 g which I am assuming is the amount you take (20 pills of 500mg) unless your pills are 250 mg. I am kind of scared it will make my hair brittle and stuff ,because a lot of people said it did,but I am not overdosing on it. I take fish oil, B5, a multivitamin and acv every day now.

BP works really well for some people, and for other it just makes their skin worse. I don't suggest going on a medicated topical because I believe there are other options. I'm on Tazorac right now (read my signature) but I'm just following my derm. and am too scared to go off it because I am clearing up.

But about the B5 I am pretty sure if you overdose it for 3 months it helps with sebum production.

I've been reading about B5 and a lot of people said that it helps if they take a B Complex vitamin also a day. Good luck!!!

I recommend stopping the B5 and focus on the real cause of it.

Don't treat the symptom, treat the problem, and then you'll no longer have the symptom.

I used to take an assortment of pills a day, which did nothing but waste my money. It wasn't until I stopped eating food with dairy and wheat in it, and worked on healing my gut and eating more healthy food, that my acne stopped completely.

Acne is often a sign that something is wrong and it's best to find out what it is and take care of it as soon as possible.

A naturopathic doctor may be able to help you find the root of the problem. Mine has greatly helped me.

I wish you luck.

Say hypothetically you take a maintenance dose of 1 gram a day for like 5 years or something. Do you think there would be problems in this?

Hi. Thanks for replying.

Of course I want to treat the cause, but so far doctors have behaved as if they don't know what the cause is. Antibiotics and topical treatments haven't worked for me. My gp told me the only thing left is accutane - something I will never use because of it's association with manic depression.

I have seen a dermatologist who told me there was nothing that would work, only accutane but then she said I shouldn't take it because it's side effects are worse than it's positive ones.

I've also had my hormone levels checked to see if my androgens were out of balance and they resulted as normal.

So what am I meant to do?

I've cut out wheat and dairy (I still only drink soy milk) and sugary foods in the past, I've drowned myself with 2litres of water a day and none of it made any difference.

After reading the vitacure B5 clearskin website I feel like I should give this a go. I can't live with this anymore.

Ugh, you're drinking soymilk, that defintiely causes acne for me. Seriously, try JUST vegetables, olive oil, salt and some butter for a few weeks. No white vegetables. No fruits. It is very limiting but it will work. Once you are clear you can add foods back in and I promise they won't break you out so bad anymore, you'll know what you can tolerate and the best part is you'll only get a small spot or clogged pore if a food doesn't agree with you. Don't give up because you definitely haven't tried everything. Please listen to this advice, it can save you some scarring, because to be honest, diet is the only thing that really works 100%.

As long as you're only taking 10 grams of b5 a day, taking a b-complex supplement with it, and making sure to get all your other nutrients, then you should be fine.

Even megadosing on b5 has far fewer side effects than taking Accutane.

Here's a website with a bunch of useful facts about b5:

http://www.vitaminb5acne.com/

If ur that worried about hair loss take a biotin supplement, this should help. Taking b5 is not that much of a big deal as long as u take a complex and a multivitamin with it, if u do experience any side effects simply stop. Personally i've been mega dosing for well over a month and have had no side effects what so ever.......nothing. Obviously what happens to me is gonna be different to what happens to you, but dont let the scare mongerers put you off it untill you try it first.

anyway good luck.

I am megadosing right now. I started to lose hair on my body, since taking biotin my hair has returned. and the b5 still getting better and better for reducing oil!

On a brighter side:

Stops aging. In a study, long ago, lab mice were given megadoses of pantothenic acid and supposedly lived 20% longer. Since then, there are claims that pantothenic acid mega doses can slow aging in humans by ‘reenergizing’ cells. This claim is unfounded.