Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
big league chewbacca

i talked about my acne in real life for the 1st time

note: the next paragraph may offend people, but im just telling it like it is

i was supposed to do some shrooms this weekend w/ 2 friends of mine. i dont know them very well as i just moved here recently. anyway, being as im very self conscious about my acne & on accutane right now, even just smoking pot makes me really paranoid & uncomfortable sometimes. anyways, ive had my fair share of experiences w/ hallucinogens/psychedelics... and while i definitely enjoy them in the right setting, i also know far too well the dark side of hallucinogens when a trip goes bad. anyway, long story short, i had a very uneasy feeling about how i would feel/what i would think about while tripping on accutane. i had no good excuse for why i wasnt going to do the shrooms except that, so i just mustered up the courage & decided to tell them the truth

neither one cared & both were actually interested in accutane. one of my friends i was going to trip w/ also has acne of pretty much my severity, but it doesnt seem to bother him the same way it does for me. he cracked a joke about being in the market for some acne medication & then mentioned how acne for him was never anything life threatening, just more annoying than anything. he had never heard of accutane

another friend of mine seemed to already know about it & mentioned that one of his roommates is on it & how another friend was on it & had some suicidal thoughts while on it, so he completely understood why i was abstaining.

anyway, my point is that we had like a 10 minute conversation about acne in general & it didnt really make me feel uncomfortable at all. it was kind of relieving to be able to share a secret so closely guarded as that. it feels even better to instinctively know that your friends are not judging you for it either.

Being honest doesn't hurt anyone :) and your not alone, I feel talking to someone about it makes you feel much more confident about yourself - that they don't mind talking to you about, I also love to help people that suffer from acne and ask them to talk about it to me, makes me feel better and also them :)

That is great Chewbacaa. I wish I had the courage to open up about acne to one of my friends. I can't even talk to my family about it.

That is great Chewbacaa. I wish I had the courage to open up about acne to one of my friends. I can't even talk to my family about it.

thanks

w/ my parents, its always been more of a 'let me go on accutane' thing w/ my mom, b/c shes heard all the stories about suicide & depression - & ive had some internal turmoil w/ both before. w/ my dad, its more of a "why do you even care?" type thing. or @ least thats how it used to be. i think he understands now that it matters to me - and probably, just as important in his mind, my job prospects

i recently saw my sister (who i see about twice a year... we live on opposite coasts) & a few times during our trip together she asked me if i wanted concealer to cover my acne marks & @ one point remarked that some dry skin surrounding my lips was "gross". i know that she meant well b/c shes always there for me, but i could tell a lot of the time she was analyzing my acne scars. i think she realized initially how much it was bothering me, so she didnt mention anything much after that. just accepted that sometimes i walk around w/ crap on my face (i havent had a pimple in a while since being on accutane for 4 months, but i still do have a lot of side effects) & i think everyone else probably more or less accepts this too.

no one has ever mentioned anything to me about dry skin hanging around on/near my lips to me (probably out of politeness), although when i go to the bathroom i can easily tell

:doh:

I tried Accutane for three weeks before my dad asked the derm to stop treatment. I was 16. He reluctantly agreed to let me start on the treatment, but he was nervous about the side effects. I have always battled with depression, and I used to take Lexapro. My dad told me not to worry about it so I tried. I can't remember how bad my acne was when I turned 18, and I don't remember stressing over it. My worst breakout was when I turned 20, and that is when my life fell apart.

I saw my cousin yesterday and she is 26. She is dealing with a massive breakout on her cheeks. I immediately sympathized with her, but I wouldn't know how to help.

I saw my cousin yesterday and she is 26. She is dealing with a massive breakout on her cheeks. I immediately sympathized with her, but I wouldn't know how to help.

sometimes i think a simple acknowledgment of understanding is enough to help. i guess if neither of you have ever broached the subject & usually never do, it would be hard to just start up a convo about it. probably rather awkward as well. hmmm, i dunno.

also, if your username is a reference to your birthday, i was born exactly one year before you

:cool:

It is tough but next time I see her, I will try to come up with something. But she smiles and doesn't put her head down, like I used to do.

Yes, I was born in 86! Everyone always forgets my birthday. They think it is the 31st. Never fails.