Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My face used to break out pretty bad a few years ago. I was left with red marks and scars, which I still have but they are not too bad. Recently though, my face started to break out again. I was up in the air as to which kit I wanted to buy. I used Proactiv years ago without much help, but this time it actually has helped with my breakouts.

Why does everyone hate Proactiv on these boards anyways?

Does anyone else use it?

i just got my proactiv yesterday and today is my second day using it. i too am like you. i used it years ago but it didn't help much. but maybe because i was way too fussy and needed instant results (stupid i know) so i gave up on it. well, my skin is now 1000x worse than before and i decided to give it another try. my cousins (which have the same type of skin as me) are using it and even told me to start using it because it's working for them. i will be patient this time.

and you know, it already got rid of a big zit i had yesterday and dried up a few others.

two things needed... persistence and patience. i can tell my skin is already feeling a little better.

just need to find the right moisturizer now.

A lot of people feel as if proactiv irritates the skin to much. It always stung my skin. Also the cleanser has SA in it and then you apply BP. Some people do not believe that is a good combo and will irritate the skin.

A lot of people also say that it works for a while and then stops. Thats what happen to me.

People just have not had good results with it, which is why they do not like it very much.

Different things work for different people. Its all about what works for you. And if it works, thats all that matters.

good luck!

A lot of people feel as if proactiv irritates the skin to much. It always stung my skin. Also the cleanser has SA in it and then you apply BP. Some people do not believe that is a good combo and will irritate the skin.

A lot of people also say that it works for a while and then stops. Thats what happen to me.

People just have not had good results with it, which is why they do not like it very much.

Different things work for different people. Its all about what works for you. And if it works, thats all that matters.

good luck!

I am currently using the Proactiv Solution 3-piece system. I honestly would have to say I love it! I first started using it back when I was 12 years old. It made my face very dry, and at the time I didn't know anything about skincare and I thought the repairing lotion was a moisturizer. I tried it again a few months ago (I'm now 20) and it has been working for me.

However, around the same time I started using Proactiv again, I also started using glycolic acid at night (Dan's AHA+) right after the repairing lotion. I also started eating healthier and eliminated dairy from my diet. If I didn't use glycolic acid and eliminated dairy, I don't know if Proactiv would've worked alone...

I love the toner the best. It gets rid of all the flakes around my mouth and calms and soothes my skin. The repairing lotion is nice too, but I wish they would make bigger bottles.

All in all, I like Proactiv, but I don't think it will help with your acne alone. You also have to look at diet, stress, makeup, etc.

krz357 is right: persistence and patience! :)

I am currently using the Proactiv Solution 3-piece system. I honestly would have to say I love it! I first started using it back when I was 12 years old. It made my face very dry, and at the time I didn't know anything about skincare and I thought the repairing lotion was a moisturizer. I tried it again a few months ago (I'm now 20) and it has been working for me.

However, around the same time I started using Proactiv again, I also started using glycolic acid at night (Dan's AHA+) right after the repairing lotion. I also started eating healthier and eliminated dairy from my diet. If I didn't use glycolic acid and eliminated dairy, I don't know if Proactiv would've worked alone...

I love the toner the best. It gets rid of all the flakes around my mouth and calms and soothes my skin. The repairing lotion is nice too, but I wish they would make bigger bottles.

All in all, I like Proactiv, but I don't think it will help with your acne alone. You also have to look at diet, stress, makeup, etc.

krz357 is right: persistence and patience! :)

Thinking of trying Dan's AHA+ ^^ might order it...

cause the Green tea moisture from proactiv is way to expensive.

but i think people hate it cause it makes the skin dry... When this happen you will break out...

My cheek were dry and i have 1 big acne cause of dang dryness.

Might look into Dan's AHA+ ;)

You use proactiv twice a daY?

I personally like proactiv...i find that like or dislike any given product, i've never found that a proactiv product made my skin worse. Personally, I really like the toner and oil free moisturizer (I mix mine with a little jojoba oil and it's perfect). The cleanser is a little too drying/irritating for my skin. The repairing lotion is just a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide lotion as good as any other in my opinion BUT i personally have found other topicals that I like better than bp. So after some experimentation I use some proactiv products (toner and moisturizer) and other non-proactive products. I really like that the toner has 5% glycolic acid in it, I find that it really exfoliates my skin well.

Just a note, the cleanser doesn't contain SA as far as I know...it does have 2.5% bp so that if you use the 3 part system you end up getting 5% bp (2.5% from the cleanser and 2.5% from the repairing lotion).

Yeah, the Proactiv Solution system is great, but I found that using glycolic acid at night really helped.

EddieE: I definitely think you should try Dan's AHA+! I use it at night. I let the repairing lotion dry for about 15-30 minutes (depending on how much I put) and then the AHA+ as a moisturizer. I was also using the green tea moisturizer, but had to stop because it was way too expensive for that tiny tube! Now I use CeraVe moisturizer in the morning. And, if your face can tolerate it, use Proactiv Solution twice a day...cleanser, toner, and repairing lotion, and spot-treat throughout the day if needed with either the AHA+ or repairing lotion. Dan's AHA+ is awesome and will enhance the Proactiv system.

And thanks bran88 for mentioning the percentage of glycolic acid in the toner! I didn't know until now :)