Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay89

Acne Sociophobia (Social anxiety disorder)

I'm very affected by my appearence emotionally and I've barely left the house in the last 3 years because of it (dropped out of college, no friends, no job), I'm only 19 but because I feel so ugly from having acne I already feel like I'm living the housebound life of a very eldery man. Does anybody else have similar experiences of feeling so deflated and trapped by their skin?

I'm very affected by my appearence emotionally and I've barely left the house in the last 3 years because of it (dropped out of college, no friends, no job), I'm only 19 but because I feel so ugly from having acne I already feel like I'm living the housebound life of a very eldery man. Does anybody else have similar experiences of feeling so deflated and trapped by their skin?

I'm 19 also, I've never held a job and I don't have my license. But somehow I'm engaged, lol. I definitely feel like my looks have held me back, I can't look at strangers in the eye or talk to them because I feel so self conscious, if a stranger says something to me I turn bright red and hot (and I'm very pale), making the people I'm with ask me if I'm okay. It's terrible.

dont let your acne run your life, im about to turn 19 but you should really go out, dont lock yourself away cause in the end you will end up regretting it and you wont get a second chance, seriously think about it and cause you still got some time. good luck

Hey Jay89, great topic as well as great timing! Psychologically, I have experienced tunnel vision. Sometimes, I preemptively project my own image into my head before I look into the mirror. I can recognize it as a problem because lately when I see my own reflection, it's not nearly as bad as what I'm envisioning in my mind. The overly grotesque view I have of myself has looped into a pretty self-loathing cycle of inaction, so I definitely empathize with your feeling of despair.

While it's not much of consolation, there are other people like you out there who experience the same daily struggle of maintaining sanityand if we can get a real discussion going it might shed some light or expand on the topic.

dont let your acne run your life, im about to turn 19 but you should really go out, dont lock yourself away cause in the end you will end up regretting it and you wont get a second chance, seriously think about it and cause you still got some time. good luck

While this post is commendable, it's like preaching to the choir. If this form of sociophobia is in any way rational, I could just sit down and say to myself, "okay, I'm just going to live my life and have fun, fuck what other people think!". Unfortunately, in my personal experience, much of this disorder stems from the irrational. So in that regard, there is a huge slice of cognitive dissonance I am fighting, and it's not so simple as committing one way or another.

It definitely wavers and shifts depending on the day.

seriously just let acne run your life because you are really missing out on alot of stuff! seriously lol

Oh I wish life was so simple and clear cut

I've come to the point now where what I see in the mirror or in photographs of myself seems 'alien'. I'm very self loathing because of my appearance/my perceptions of my appearance too. One of the things about the acne that particularly upsets me is how people who don't know about it/haven't suffered it quite often put it down to hygiene, so even though I know it's not the case with me I'm aware nearly everybody I encounter probably thinks I'm dirty and disgusting. I find it impossible to hold my head high and be confident about anything when I know what could be running threw peoples minds.

Sociophobia is definitely irrational. As much as I'd love to be able to just walk down the street without a care in the world it's not something I can do. People who suffer sociaphobia tend to be very aware of how irrational their fear is/their reaction to the fear but still can't overcome it, that's how it's defined as a disorder. I'm going to get counseling soon as well as continuing to treat my acne with 'tane and hope for the best.

19, never had a job, currently able to work at home and do my college work (explained how much I hated being at college) so I'm relaxing back here while I wait for the tane to do its job.

Barely been out in 3 years really, not had a serious relationship and the only friends I have I only ever saw at college or speak to on the internet, but hoping to change that if I get clear.