Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ElephantEyelash

Meds for cystic acne?

Hi! I've been lurking on these boards for a while and finally decided to post.

The 3 huge cystic pimples on my face have finally convinced me to seek out a dermatologist. I know I don't have a lot of zits, but they hurt so bad!!! They're hormonal, and I really can't do anything about that...Also, I am very pale and they stand out pretty obviously - gah!

So, my question for you all is what meds are you on? What has worked for you/what hasn't? Are topicals or pills prescribed more?

Thanks all!

well, there is always accutane...but i recommend trying out a few other options first.

there are things you can do to help hormonal acne. anything from holistic herbal remedies, to birth control, to medications like Spiro.

i also suffer form hormonal acne. at first i tried yasmin and yaz, which were a DISASTER. then i started taking a pill called zovia, which started clearing me up considerably. i would still break out whenever my hormones went wacky (which is all the time, because i have ovary problems) so i decided to do a round of accutane. which has cleared me up well... with the occasional zit, but whatever, i'm not full of cysts anymore.

make an appointment with our gyno and discuss your options!

hi,

I am 35 and have battle for a long time. However, for the past year, I was off birth control, and doing ok. I have been using differin, which was great. Then, this winter came and my skin freaked out. At this moment there are cysts, nodules and the worst break out in my life:( I had the doctors test my blood etc. Soooo I found out I have some cysts on my ovaries. It has got the be that and hormones. So I think back on the pill for me!!! And I am going all organic and staying away from junk food. Just make sure you push these doctors and make them test you. They never want to test your hormones. I really do believe it is internal!!

pray for me and I will pray for you:)

hmm...topical...bp helps prevent them, and if i do get one i generously spot-treat with glycolic gel

meds wise...accutane works, but it doesn't sound like your skin is that bad so they probably won't give it to you. some people have success with oral antibiotics...other's don't...this is probably the route he will take, you may as well give it a shot. go to the treatment reviews section and see which oral antibiotics have the best ratings.

or, you could bypass the dermatologist and see a gyno about the pill.

The 3 huge cystic pimples on my face have finally convinced me to seek out a dermatologist. I know I don't have a lot of zits, but they hurt so bad!!! They're hormonal, and I really can't do anything about that...Also, I am very pale and they stand out pretty obviously - gah!

So, my question for you all is what meds are you on? What has worked for you/what hasn't? Are topicals or pills prescribed more?

Thanks all!

Okay, EVERYone, yeah iv been there (and am still there D:) but the best thing to do if your acnes fu**ing horrible and propper noticable is to go to a doctor. if they give you oxeytetracycline at first thats alright but if your skins proper bad then theyl give you isotetronin - 30mg to start of - but if they happen to ask you what mg you want i really advise the 70mg (ifskins really really bad) isotetranon dries ya up like hell so all the moisture is lost out of you however the side effects arent a laugh - dry lips but can be easily controlled) can effect your hormones so nothing major but lets just say i almost found myself crying over scrubs series ending. ermmmm overall ddryness of skin really. also i advise Panoxyl cream and please please take my word stay away from any facewash that is advertised on the tele! its all rubbish its all the same! soap + water tops themm all and a bit of panoxyl will do the job. hahaha on a lighter note does anyone feel like putting their foot through the tele when you see that antiblackhead advert with the girl in who has NO BLEMISHES OR ANYTHING on her skin AT all, or that other annoying one where shes going to the party. gawwdd. anyways good luck guys! x

Thanks all!

Okay, EVERYone, yeah iv been there (and am still there D:) but the best thing to do if your acnes fu**ing horrible and propper noticable is to go to a doctor. if they give you oxeytetracycline at first thats alright but if your skins proper bad then theyl give you isotetronin - 30mg to start of - but if they happen to ask you what mg you want i really advise the 70mg (ifskins really really bad) isotetranon dries ya up like hell so all the moisture is lost out of you however the side effects arent a laugh - dry lips but can be easily controlled) can effect your hormones so nothing major but lets just say i almost found myself crying over scrubs series ending. ermmmm overall ddryness of skin really. also i advise Panoxyl cream and please please take my word stay away from any facewash that is advertised on the tele! its all rubbish its all the same! soap + water tops themm all and a bit of panoxyl will do the job. hahaha on a lighter note does anyone feel like putting their foot through the tele when you see that antiblackhead advert with the girl in who has NO BLEMISHES OR ANYTHING on her skin AT all, or that other annoying one where shes going to the party. gawwdd. anyways good luck guys! x

Hi!! I have had the same issues in the past with cystic acne and I have been to the doctor many times and had to have painful and expensive shots in my face. I got fed up and decided to call a friend of mine who is an expert in homeopathic remedies. She gave me some info that has changed my life!!!! and its so simple to do. What you need to do is go to Whole Foods or even to the Vitamin Shoppe and buy %100 pure Peppermint oil and %100 pure Rosemary oil. After you get out of the shower (or you can dab the area with a hot CLEAN wash cloth) you want your skin to be warm, and clean. take a small dab of the peppermint oil with a Qtip to your skin where the cyst is. This will open up the pore. Then apply some of the Rosemary oil directly onto the cyst. do this as many times a day as you can remember. I noticed a difference the next day- I couldn't believe how simple, cheap and easy it was- it really works. PLEASE let me know if this works for you too- my goal is to spread the word on this remedy, If it works for you, tell others about it. GOOD LUCK!!!!

i've been battling acne (nodular) for almost 10 years...you name it, i have tried it...including accutane, which i am NOT having any luck with either...i am sooo frustrated, i can't stand it...

I was put on Yaz...Been on it for about a month. At first, it seemed like I broke out a bit more but I don't have any cysts right now! Now the zits I have can be treated by bp - thank god!