Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I'm doing it at the moment. I took Minocycline last year and it cleared me up great. Then, my acne came back worse than ever after the summer. I went back on the Minocycline, but my acne was so bad that I thought I might try some supplements (Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin B) and diet changes to see if it would help. So far, my acne is becoming slowly (very slowly) less aggressive, but it's not improving much at all really. It could just be my impatience... :)

I never thought that the zinc might be affecting the effectiveness of the Minocycline. Maybe it is. Why do you think it might? Have you read it somewhere?

No! You cannot take Zinc at the same time as ANY tetracycline as it will decrease the effect of minocycline greatly if not completely. The reason for this is that all tetracyclines binds to zinc.

Note that zinc is not the only stuff you cannot take. Forexample calcium and iron are forbidden to take for the same reason. If you take these kind of minerals you must at least wait 2 hours before taking the pills, and when you have eaten the pill, you must wait 1 hour before taking these kind of minerals.

Because calcium also binds tetracycline the same time rule goes for milk or milk-products as these contain large amounts of calcium.

ok seoriusly someones gotta answer

I wouldn't recommend it. It is true that zinc in most cases help acne by reducing the skin's creation of oil, but it can also have a negative effect on the immune system, it can upset your stomach and taking zinc for several months will in some cases have fatal consequenses. The antibiotics will do the job for you, so zinc should not even be needed.

Now it is possible to take zinc if you insist, i recommend that you wait at least 2 hours after taking the pill.

you can still take zinc on mino.

just take it 2 hours before, or 2 hours after your pill. you can ask any pharmasist that.

im on doxy, and i take zinc and vitamin c a few hours before or a few hours after. taking it at the same time will just kill the effectivness of the antibiotic, which is why they say wait a few hours before or after.