Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When you stopped picking, did it help? To be completely honest, I left a nasty pimple alone for 2 whole weeks (14 days!) I did not touch it, prod it, pick at it, squeeze it, nothing. Hardest thing of my life, but after the 2 weeks you know what, jack all happend.

It stayed exactly the same, no improvement. I finally popped it and yeah sure it looked bad for 4 or 5 days after but now the red mark and stuff is gone, I am REALLY trying to not pick but is it even worth it?

So my question, did it help you guys?

Nooope, I tried it for a good 3 weeks.

I find my pimples heal a hundred times faster when I just get the crap out. hahaha

Disclaimer -

Not saying skin picking isn't bad, everyone's skin is diffferentttttttttttt

Mmm, welll, it works for me most of the time, except for when it comes to whiteheads. Blackheads, cystic acne, and just the regular bumps that haven't come to a head always go away more easily and with less redness when I do not pick. But whiteheads will persistantly sit there mocking me for weeks until I pick them, and then they go away fairly quickly.

But like someone else said, everyone's skin is different. I would recommend not picking if you can help it, since picking does a lot more damage than you could ever imagine below the skin (check out stoppickingonme.com) and can lead to a lot of unsightly scarring that could possibly never go away - but it's up to you to figure out what will work best for you in the long run. (: Good luck!

I actually find popping a pimple that is ready is a good thing to do.

Only if its ready.

I actually find popping a pimple that is ready is a good thing to do.

Only if its ready.

If a pimple is ready to be popped, it's better to just go ahead with it. At least in my case. If I leave it, it just stays there for ages! My skin only gets irritated if I pick at a spot before it's ready and then it will take longer to heal. The only noticeable scars I have had were on my chest, where I have never picked...though with a little apple cider vinegar they have lightened a little and just look like freckles now :)

If it's a pimple with a head that I can see i will pop it, because that way it heals faster for me.

If it's something underneath my skin I try not to pop it. But sometimes I have thses non-inflammated bumps, that are quite large and just don't go away. You can't see a head, they're not read, but usually a week after they form I squeeze them out. This also helps them heal because otherwise it seems that they harden under the skin and stay there. If i try doing anything before they're hardened then it usually results in a lot of irritation.

I only call skin picking when i do the uneeded thing. Like picking every little clogged pore, anything that's slightly red. peeling off dry skin, scabs. Scratching my skin always etc.

it has helped me alot. I no longer get huge red marks. I can understand if you have a whitehead tho and cant stand it. just make sure to sterilize

yes yes yes it totally helped! It's OK to pop a pimple that's come to a head, but I tend to pick at clogged pores and can make my face go from looking clear to covered in red spots in no time---there've been a few times when I haven't picked for weeks or months, and my skin looks so much better. The only thing is that sometimes it's like if my skin looks good, that's a temptation to pick because I sort of think, 'well now's the time to get it completely perfect' and then I search for more clogged pores and try and get everything out and make a total mess of my face again... sigh.

Lily I totally feel you. I just stopped picking and I've actually noticed change. My skin isn't as flakey, red and irritated as it was when I picked.

I haven't picked in about a week so no guarantee yet...

But i used to sit in front of the mirror after a shower for up to 30 minutes!! ALMOST EVERY DAY! Just picking at the tiniest things that NOBODY can see except me!

I look back and wonder how I could be so ridiculous!?!

I will pop a pimple if it absolutely needs to be popped....but as for picking tiny clogged pores that nobody can see, NO MORE!

Acne has never gotten better for me just because of that alone. I don't have to pick my acne but it doesn't make it better so no. But obviously it helps to have less germ and not pick at scabs and stuff with the acne is healing. When it's about to pop I guess it doesn't really matter but usually when it pops by itself I don't see the pus it usually happens when I take a shower so I guess it's good because it isn't forced. But overall the acne isn't better.

Most of my acne is on my face and if it's a whitehead I pick it no matter how small or large, sometimes I get a pimple on my back and I'll leave it and it stays for what seems like forever or until it gets rubbed against something and get taken off.

yes yes yes it totally helped! It's OK to pop a pimple that's come to a head, but I tend to pick at clogged pores and can make my face go from looking clear to covered in red spots in no time---there've been a few times when I haven't picked for weeks or months, and my skin looks so much better. The only thing is that sometimes it's like if my skin looks good, that's a temptation to pick because I sort of think, 'well now's the time to get it completely perfect' and then I search for more clogged pores and try and get everything out and make a total mess of my face again... sigh.

I am pretty much exactly the same, every time my skin is looking clear I go and destroy it by picking at every tiny stupid little bump ARGH!! But I find that avoiding the mirror and cutting my nails short helps..

I stopped picking when I started scarring -- like, the indented scars that don't heal. Anytime you pick you're causing your skin more trauma, and you won't realize until it's too late that you've done damage (I went for years immune to scarring). I've been very lucky and my scars aren't that bad.

I would recommend finding yourself a good spot treatment -- manuka honey, or something like Sudocrem (diaper rash cream) with zinc oxide in it. When you have something to put on your pimples to get the inflammation down and dry them out, you won't feel like picking so much and usually the white bit (sorry... bit gross) will come off on its own without you having to squeeze your skin.

I rarely pick at my zits, but I got to town on my blackheads. My derm gave me an extractor for my blackheads and maybe once a week I'll steam my pores open and extract some of my large blackheads. My derm said, "if you're going to pick at a whitehead, and you can't be stopped, at least wash your hands, wash your face, and do it as soft as you can."

Sometimes when I have painful whiteheads I'll pop them just to get the white stuff at the top out so I can cover it up. But that rarely happens. I think the zits heal pretty much the same popped/ unpopped. Popping a zit definitely makes it more red, but sometimes it can help.

My face doesn't scar so it doesn't affect me too much. But now that I'm on the 'tane, my hands don't touch my face, except when I'm washing/ moisturizing.

I managed to stop picking for a month. During that month, not only was my skin free of scabs, it was absolutely zit free. My moderately severe acne disappeared. I would get an occasional blind cystic zit, but it was not visible at all and easy to spot treat and VERY easy to just cover with a bit of concealer. It was the best skin I've had in a long time. Not picking helped me.

Guest Herätys

The only ones I think are worth picking at are those painfullll ones. They're really stubborn even with medicine so I tend to pop those. D:

Other than that I shouldn't pop any others. Leaves redness and usually ends up more noticeable when its healing than when its actually there. Lame shit.

As for blackheads, they always come back even after extracted. I try not to touch those at all.