Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yo Adrienne!

some info i found on accutane

here is an article i found on the history of accutane. it is REALLY long but it has some interesting information. it talks about how accutane was originally designed to treat skin cancer and they accidentally discovered it helps acne. it also talks about its role in birth defects and mental illness and lawsuits because of accutane. skim the article if you are interested.

http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/472/Green.html

I enjoyed reading the article. It was interesting to briefly read how politics played a supporting role in influencing regulation. I wanted to read source 100 to find out the name of the one dermatologist who was quoted, but perhaps he/she asked to be quoted anonymously. I feel people should be free to make their own choices. It is our body, and we must thoroughly research the drug and any potential side effects. Ultimately, we will have to live with our decisions, and be prepared to face the potential consequences.

It was OK, but it does nothing to address the other devestating side effects. I expected this to be coupled with other studies and yellow card submissions into adverse reactions - but no. Far more research is needed but I would imagine people will be asked to "keep their mouths shut" whilst this drug continues to generate in excess of $700m revenue.

Yup. This is what most people don't know. Accutane is not technically an acne medication. IT IS STILL TO THIS DAY being used by Oncologists to treat leukimia, BRAIN TUMORS ETC!!! Accutane decreases CELL PROLIFERATION in ALL areas of the body, bones, digestive system, areas of the BRAIN, mucous membranes, and cancer, which is why it is used in chemotherapy, there are thousands and thousands of people looking into compensation because of what Accutane did to them. I really can't see Roche sucking out for much longer, there is so much indisputable evidence now and I think times are changing

well im not saying accutane should be taken off the market... im on accutane right now. so far it has cleared me skin and im reallyhappy! HOWEVER, if i somehow have permanent damage in the future, i went into this knowing the potential consequences. i dont think accutane is as horrible as people tend to make it out to be, but then again, i have had a generally positive experience so far. it just sucks that it has a negative affect on some people.