Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dairy. Does it affect acne or not? I had been drinking milk...normally (breakfast, then dessert) and then I had been drinking it in excess...but neither really, I thought at least, helped/hurt my acne. Okay. Does it affect acne scars? As that is my 95% problem right now, I would definitely love to know.

Oh, and on this non-acne website, I read putting milk on your face (topically) helped your complexion, dryness, minor pimples/scars etc...would this work at all? More importantly, would this work for a acne/scar sufferer?

Okay, that's highly repetitive...sorry. Just-is dairy bad or good, both internally and topically?

milk personally makes me break out.

well not just milk, dairy in general.

the only way to know for sure is to completely cut out dairy from your diet (or just milk) and see what happens.

you'd be amazed at what you consume daily and the way it affects your skin.

&& i have never heard about putting milk on your face.

i am not sure what sort of nutritional values that might have.

instead you could try putting honey on your face, it works wonders at evening out your skin tone.

Yep, I thought dairy was fine until I came across NotMilk.com, and haven't had milk from a plastic jug since May 31, 07. I must say by September (it took a while), my skin went from moderate to slightly mild at the worst! But with chips&queso and starbucks frap addictions, I never completely eliminated the milk, but starting off with the jugs was my best step!

Yep, I thought dairy was fine until I came across NotMilk.com, and haven't had milk from a plastic jug since May 31, 07. I must say by September (it took a while), my skin went from moderate to slightly mild at the worst! But with chips&queso and starbucks frap addictions, I never completely eliminated the milk, but starting off with the jugs was my best step!

ohh is there any way that I could get the nessacary vitamins from milk without taking pills, etc.? Like what other foods have vitamin D (I think that's what it is...) that not drinking milk will lack?

^^^^^^^^^^^ Okay, thanks! Oh, by the way, is your skin oily, dry, combo, etc?

i would say its a combo.

more dry on the cheeks, but oilier in the T zone.

hope i helped.

ohh is there any way that I could get the nessacary vitamins from milk without taking pills, etc.? Like what other foods have vitamin D (I think that's what it is...) that not drinking milk will lack?

I find the easiest way is Cod liver oil with added omega 3s! It's cheap too :). There's a lot of controversy about protein and calcium absorption also in milk, ie protein inhbits it I believe. But also, I take a calcium/magnesium citrate supplement, as I know I'm deficient in both those minerals. They're also fairly cheap priced.

Have you tried unsweetened vanilla rice or almond milk?

There's a lot of controversy about protein and calcium absorption also in milk, ie protein inhbits it I believe.

Which is completely silly (not you, but the rumor in general). The calcium:protein ratio in milk is a lot higher than in leafy green veggies or nuts. If it was true that protein inhibited calcium absorption, then the only good source of calcium would be supplements.

There's a lot of controversy about protein and calcium absorption also in milk, ie protein inhbits it I believe.

Which is completely silly (not you, but the rumor in general). The calcium:protein ratio in milk is a lot higher than in leafy green veggies or nuts.

Are you sure about that (milk versus veggies/nuts)??

In any event, I have a different take on the issue of protein in milk: considering that Mother Nature seems to have designed milk specifically to get calcium into you and absorbed (notice, for example, that the carbohydrate in milk [lactose] is well-known to increase calcium absorption, as does milk-fat), it seems to me that the specific type of protein in milk is unlikely to suppress the absorption of calcium by very much. Why would Nature make just ONE serious mistake in the design of milk? :think::angel:

My dermatologist instructed me to take my accutane pills daily with a glass of milk. 3 months in I'm still suffering break outs and no remarkable difference in my acne. Probably not related, who knows, but I've heard the rumors about milk before.

Its different for everyone. I know milk has no impact on me whatsoever. Ive been drinking upwards of a gallon a day of raw milk and kefir and it has no negative impact on my skin. Only way to know is to cut it out completley and see the results.

Not sure, maybe Mother Nature intended cow milk for calves? Just a theory though... :think::angel:

Sure. So what? What's your point?

I consume commercial, pasteurized heavy cream and it doesn't affect my acne at all. The only thing that seems to break me out is grains and starch. Fruit is pretty bad, but I can eat some refined sugar in moderation.

Milk doesn't seem to affect my acne either, which is funny because I'm definitely lactose intolerant. Gluten is the biggest single-food contributor to my acne.

Thank you everyone!! I found out NOT drinking milk made my face break out more...but that's almost 100% because of the juice I was drinking instead...and now drinking milk (oh it's fat free...if that matters) doesn't do a difference...so I drink it with breakfast and when I have dessert (weannning offff). But thanks!! This is like...the most replies I've ever had on my post *phyched* lol...well did anyone ever hear of putting milk on topically??