Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A while back I was reading posts by Mrs. Jenkins on the org. She ate a high-fat diet (optimal diet) to clear her acne. She avoided red meats, sugars (including fruits) and milk products and it kept her clear. Whole wheat gave her cystic acne, so did red meat. Everything she wrote about seemed spot-on in regards to acne. She spoke a lot of too little carbs causing dry skin. I have been clear for a while now (diet of veg and meat), but I had a piece of fruit today and my face and hands became very dry. I notice the same thing when drinking tea. I would like to add more carbs in the diet, but it is very hard to eat enough veggies to cause oil production. Any advice would be welcomed.

Your post sounds contradictory--eating a piece of fruit caused your skin to dry out, but you want to increase the carb content of your diet for dry skin?

Hey rakbs, thanks for the reply. I have assumed that carbs=increaed sebum production, which is what I think could help with the dry skin. I'm glad you pointed out this contradiction, as in my youth I remember my skin remained dry, but OILY as well. What would you recommend to help with the dryness?

I'm trying to steer away from fiber in the form of raw fruit and veg, and I'm tending towards a higher fat diet with reduced amounts of protein, more cooked veg and more fat in the form of butter and small amounts of cream. Would it be wise to add potatoes to my diet (I'm hesitant due to possible outbreaks)?

Hey rakbs, thanks for the reply. I have assumed that carbs=increaed sebum production, which is what I think could help with the dry skin. I'm glad you pointed out this contradiction, as in my youth I remember my skin remained dry, but OILY as well. What would you recommend to help with the dryness?

It's true that sebum does tend to fix dry skin, however, sebum is not necessary to prevent dry skin.

I know that in my experiences, I had virtually no sebum to speak of when I was a kid, but my skin wasn't dry at all. My sebum increased when I hit ~12 years of age, but that's also the time my skin started getting drier. (I'm not implying that sebum causes dry skin.)

Put simply, if you want to treat dry skin, I don't think that increasing sebum production is the way to go. Increasing your sebum production would literally be no different than simply using lotion: in both scenarios, you're just putting oil on your skin. As you said, in your youth, your skin was oily but it was also dry.

That said, I have no idea the cause of dry skin (clearly, sebum deficiency is not the cause), nor how to fix it. This is something I want to learn more about though, I will continue researching it. Maybe somebody will have something more useful to chime in with.

I'm trying to steer away from fiber in the form of raw fruit and veg, and I'm tending towards a higher fat diet with reduced amounts of protein, more cooked veg and more fat in the form of butter and small amounts of cream. Would it be wise to add potatoes to my diet (I'm hesitant due to possible outbreaks)?

You should definitely try adding a serving or two of carby foods to your diet, just to see how you react. White rice is probably the least allergenic starchy food that I know of, it could be the best tester for you.

Thanks rakbs, I have been thinking/looking into the causes of dry skin as well. What I suspect is to blame is a combination of overwashing, a cleanser, lacks of carbs in my diet, and cold climate where I'm from, plus a dry/hot climate indoors.

For those wondering I have been able to eat potatoes with no signs of acne.

Whole wheat gave her cystic acne, so did red meat

evidence?

Whole wheat bread is more dense and harder to digest than white bread. I myself developed the biggest cyst I've ever had from two slices of whole wheat bread. I have done okay with small amounts of red meat in the form of steak (no acne), but when I tried an all meat diet with lots of fat, I got cystic acne on my cheeks. I understand that both of these breakouts may be attributed to overconsumption in a single sitting.

For those wondering, here is a link to Mrs. Jenkins' previous posts on the org. Since I've cleared and re-introduced all foods back into my diet, I tend to agree with her about 100% of the time.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/search.ht...sult_type=posts

Also medic, I would appreciate it if in the future you will respond to my posts using perhaps a phrase in a civilized fashion.