Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Florida Guy

Generic and/or over-the-counter BenzaClin?

Searched for this, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Does anyone know if there is a generic version of BenzaClin out there? Preferably in the US, but feel free to let me know of any elsewhere (even if our benevolent government restricts access to imported medicine).

If not, does anyone know if there is one on the horizon, or do the makers of BenzaClin have a monopoly on the product for the foreseeable future?

Similarly, are there or does it look like there will be any over-the-counter alternatives to it? I hate having to jump through the hurdles of dermatologists and soulless leechesinsurance companies to even be allowed to buy the stuff, leaving the status of my face to the whims of bureaucrats.

Over the last few months, I've found that BenzaClin is the acne product that works best for me (by far), and one of the few that's worked at all, but the obscene price (which I still pay... it's worth making sacrifices to have a face that's not covered in painful, discoloring bumps) and poor accessibility are driving me up the wall.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

nope benzaclin is benzyol peroxide with antibiotic(clindymic). Clindymycin is regulated and is Rx only. Sucks i know

but you know there are alternatives to benzaclin. for example duac is the same thing, and bigger bottle, and no finger contamination from the round jar.

Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. just release a generic version of Benzaclin.

Just got it today, testing it out to see if it works

Edited by jizzle

Been using it a month - generic vs. Benzaclin - and I think the benzaclin so far works better but the generic is pretty ok. better than what it was before. Def. cheaper. Wish it all coulda stayed the same tho for me.

I just compared the two - Benzaclin is in a base of carbomer, sodium hydroxide, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, and purified water, whereas Mylan's has carbomer, PROPLYENE GLYCOL, POTASSIUM hydroxide, and water. I really don't know but maybe this is what is making the product less effective for some. I mean come on, proplyene glycol is a well known ingredient NOT to have for sensitive skin, especially acne prone.

Edited by SandrS