Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
longingforhope

creating public awareness about the need for a cure

Holdontohope. Wow. I am so impressed with your determination and knowledge shown in this thread.

Hey, I think you mistook my post. I agree with you and I agree with your responses. But I am looking at the target message from the majority of people who have not dealt with or been close to someone who has dealt with bad acne scarring. In order to get the message across, its important to have a good understandng of how many people will react to the message.

I realize you are "hitting the big guys" for support. But even some of the big guys are going to we tough to sell.

The "Acne scarring does not affect the environment" simply states that this is one issue now-adays that will recruit enormous attention. More or less tongue-in-cheek comment.

Hey, I think you mistook my post. I agree with you and I agree with your responses. But I am looking at the target message from the majority of people who have not dealt with or been close to someone who has dealt with bad acne scarring. In order to get the message across, its important to have a good understandng of how many people will react to the message.

I realize you are "hitting the big guys" for support. But even some of the big guys are going to we tough to sell.

The "Acne scarring does not affect the environment" simply states that this is one issue now-adays that will recruit enormous attention. More or less tongue-in-cheek comment.

Sigh... I take everything so seriously nowadays!!! : ) You certainly make some good points. Will keep all this in mind. Thanks for your contribution.

It's a good idea to set up a foundation.

I have some questions to ask.

What kinds of acne scarring is this foundation for? Only atrophic scarring or all kinds of acne scarring including hypertrophic scarring and acne keloid scarring. If this is only for atrphic scarring, the funding will be different and some money will go simply to injecting fillers or stem cells into the already-formed scars. If this is for all kinds of acne scarring, the money will go to scarless healing.

I think it will be much wiser to include all kinds of scarring for the reason that many people with acne scarring have some hypertrophic ones. According to google insights, the market for keloid scarring is larger than merely acne scars. http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=a...loid&cmpt=q

the foundation holdontohope is currently organizing, i believe, will be for ALL different types of scarring - scars from acne, burns, MRSA, etc... i believe the ultimate goal of the foundation is to RESTORE skin back to its original state - which was uninjured. i don't exactly know if this would count as "scarless healing" since many current victims of scarring are already "technically" done healing...just left with scars. the foundation will hopefully be able to restore the quality of life lost by everyone who has been afflicted with scarring - of any type. the hope with regenerative medicine is that it will recognize that the skin tissue has been altered (whether raised, burned, depressed, etc...) and restore the skin back to its original state! (that would be the ultimate goal anyway). I believe the foundation will also be on the lookout for new methods of scar reduction that actually offer significant improvement....until restoration can be achieved, that is.

i don't want to speak for holdontohope, however, as it is not my foundation and she may have different plans. so maybe it's best to wait for her reply! :)

Let me first say that, after learning of the requests of the owner of this board, I'm hesitant to make anymore posts on the acne.org thread about a nonprofit foundation I'm starting. This isn't my forum, and thus against the rules to promote about another effort, for-profit or not. This is all totally fine, as there are plenty of other legit ways to create awareness for a cause.

Anyways, as far as the last posts made by Isoflous and longingforhope:

It wouldn't be right of me to "make" any promises about what the efforts of my foundation or any foundation will be able to achieve, as far as skin regeneration goes. That would ultimately be unethical to *promise* outcomes that may be years in the future. But I can tell you what kind of goals we're going to set. And I think it's more than ethical, and I think necessary, for *someone* out there to raise the bar of what is possible, and therefore incite creativity and out-of-the-box thinking in order to reach that goal. What I mean by this is: It's my feeling that it IS possible, with enough creativity, research, and funding, to arrive at solutions for individuals with skin scarring of ALL TYPES. And when I say *solutions,* I mean that it's time for the plastic surgery and dermatology community to stop being content with the pathetic status quo of giving an average of 0-20% improvement to acne scar sufferers, and to say, "Wait a minute. Clearly we haven't innovated enough. Clearly the treatments we offer DON'T work (laser, dermabrasion, etc). Why don't we put research efforts into place so we can solve these problems?"

The goal of my foundation is to raise the bar and say, "Minimal improvement isn't good enough." And then to do everything in its power to fund and organize research efforts with the goal of CREATING solutions that bring about life-changing, dramatic results in skin restoration. And, until I'm dead, I'm not going to stop doing my part, to bring about TOTAL skin restoration to those suffering from skin scarring...of all types. Ultimately, I hope to be able to fund specific, focused research efforts for each type of acne scarring (including hypertrophic scarring), as they are varied and require very different treatments. Dose this answer your question, isoflous?

All I can promise is that I'm going to use every ounce of influence and intelligence and creativity I have to organize and fund research projects dedicated to achieving total skin-restoration as the ultimate goal. When or how we get there is something I can't answer. It's something nobody can answer. No one can answer that. If we could, then, well, we'd already have the problem solved. : ) I believe it will be sooner rather than later. But the fact that we are raising the bar, and saying, "The current tools we have aren't good enough. It's time to create new ones that work," is a HUGE step in the right direction, and that's what must happen in order to see real change.

P.S. Isoflous, If you're passionate about creating solutions for keloid scarring, then PM me sometime, and we can talk about how, in the future, you can get involved in that specific cause.

Let me first say that, after learning of the requests of the owner of this board, I'm hesitant to make anymore posts on the acne.org thread about a nonprofit foundation I'm starting. This isn't my forum, and thus against the rules to promote about another effort, for-profit or not. This is all totally fine, as there are plenty of other legit ways to create awareness for a cause.

Anyways, as far as the last posts made by Isoflous and longingforhope:

It wouldn't be right of me to "make" any promises about what the efforts of my foundation or any foundation will be able to achieve, as far as skin regeneration goes. That would ultimately be unethical to *promise* outcomes that may be years in the future. But I can tell you what kind of goals we're going to set. And I think it's more than ethical, and I think necessary, for *someone* out there to raise the bar of what is possible, and therefore incite creativity and out-of-the-box thinking in order to reach that goal. What I mean by this is: It's my feeling that it IS possible, with enough creativity, research, and funding, to arrive at solutions for individuals with skin scarring of ALL TYPES. And when I say *solutions,* I mean that it's time for the plastic surgery and dermatology community to stop being content with the pathetic status quo of giving an average of 0-20% improvement to acne scar sufferers, and to say, "Wait a minute. Clearly we haven't innovated enough. Clearly the treatments we offer DON'T work (laser, dermabrasion, etc). Why don't we put research efforts into place so we can solve these problems?"

The goal of my foundation is to raise the bar and say, "Minimal improvement isn't good enough." And then to do everything in its power to fund and organize research efforts with the goal of CREATING solutions that bring about life-changing, dramatic results in skin restoration. And, until I'm dead, I'm not going to stop doing my part, to bring about TOTAL skin restoration to those suffering from skin scarring...of all types. Ultimately, I hope to be able to fund specific, focused research efforts for each type of acne scarring (including hypertrophic scarring), as they are varied and require very different treatments. Dose this answer your question, isoflous?

All I can promise is that I'm going to use every ounce of influence and intelligence and creativity I have to organize and fund research projects dedicated to achieving total skin-restoration as the ultimate goal. When or how we get there is something I can't answer. It's something nobody can answer. No one can answer that. If we could, then, well, we'd already have the problem solved. : ) I believe it will be sooner rather than later. But the fact that we are raising the bar, and saying, "The current tools we have aren't good enough. It's time to create new ones that work," is a HUGE step in the right direction, and that's what must happen in order to see real change.

P.S. Isoflous, If you're passionate about creating solutions for keloid scarring, then PM me sometime, and we can talk about how, in the future, you can get involved in that specific cause.

holdontohope: you have been asked to contact the owner of this site prior to making any more posts about this foundation of yours. Please do so.