Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
giantcat

Accutane ruined these people's lives

Several people who say accutane has ruined their bodies, minds, and lives:

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=32021

-------

"I'm 32 years old. I've had Acne since I was 13. Although the acne is not cystic anymore, I still suffer.....and I've been on Accutane TWICE.

I only suffered a heart attack and a few minor set backs, just to have to live with it for the rest of my life anyway. I had my heart attack at 23 years old. My lipid levels and cholesterol have never returned to normal and I still suffer from extreme dry patches all over my body. I used to be an avid runner and now I have to settle for monitored treadmill or walking.....we don't want to have another heart attack or a stroke. God forbid. I won't even go into the depression problems or the fact that I am sterile and can't have children either. Its an extreme overdose of Vitamin A.....of course it will screw you up in more ways than one....with long term issues."

--------

"please just live with the acne you do not want these problems. Every human being is different and while some may tell you hey its a miracle it cured me, look, I am 20 and (used to be) above average health. I don't know if its genes or what but this Isotretinoin (Accutane) messed me up bad. Your are playing chance...The dermatologist does not know you personally or your habits. Isotretinoin is also a form of Chemotherapy!!!! Why would you take it to get rid of acne!? It is a quick fix, and as you all know nothing is free in this world. Everything is give or take. You will lose acne but you will have something else in return, possibly worse. Companies are making money and thats all that matters. We are numbers and statistics to doctors and big business. I would like to think we are individual human beings and this is why I am taking the time to write this. As of now my problems come and go, I may wake up one day and everything I touch that is cold, burns. Muscle twitches throughout my body. Ringing in my ears every damn day...And my vision."

"I just had my first appointment just yesterday with a neurologist. As soon as I mentioned Isotretinoin he automatically knew and started shaking his head. He put me down for CT scans and blood work next month. And in a week I go in for a sleep study where they hook up some wires to my brain and I sleep over for a night. They are going to be in for a ride. I can't wait to see myself on camera. Ever since Accutane, I have dreams...well...nightmares everyday and I sleep with holy water by my bed because they are so vivid and real. As soon as I fall asleep I will be waken up and then I have to coax myself back to bed and then I'm usually fine. As I wrote, I took it for a month and too have experienced insomnia, fatigue, and hypertension. "

--------

"Well, the VERY BAD part comes after I get off the accutane. Here I am in 2008 still SUFFERING every single day with terrible headaches. Sometimes I don't even want to live anymore. It has been confirmed by three neurologists that I have Intrcranial Hypertension (psuedo Tumor) Basically I have an excess of spinal fluid that goes up into my brain and causes swelling which makes my head hurt tremendously. Once I had a headache for four weeks straight. I am now on Topamax which has helped me a little but not much. They want to start Spinal taps but I am really scared. I'd rather just die I think than go on. I tell my friends that I wish I could go back to 2005 w/ the knowledge I have now and NEVER take Accutane. the pain I endure now is unbearable.

My words to all is, you may be the next one in line who gets the intracranial pressure. Its to die for. Deal w/ the acne, its not forever, this is"

--------

"My son took Accutane about 10 years ago for a 2-3 month period. He initially was paralyzed from the waist down, not to mention the large scabs on his face that resembled chemical burns. UCLA stated it was the "worst case of side effects from accutane" they had "ever seen" He has had health problems since. Dr. are unable to give him a diagnosis. His symptoms are, fatigue, generalized pain, head aches, anxiety, insomnia, epstein barr syndrome, "sick" all the time, hypertension. This for a 26 year old who used to be an active baseball/basketball player. Any suggestions on finding a doc to help? thanks very much.

a concerned mom"

--------

Please Sticky This!!

I took accutane when I was about 16 or 17 and I think it messed me up a little mentally. It was either from that or just the low self esteem acne gave me, but I used to be an outgoing person and now I"m a hermit. I still feel the energy inside but this acne is holding me back. I've even had a friend say 'damn that accutane fuqed you up.' It was either the low self esteem or side effects from the accutane that left me cloudy minded. I don't even feel like I"m livin my life, it's wierd. I'm crossin my fingers now that I'm 23 hoping it will soon go away.

Plus accutane cleared me up for like a year then it came back. It's like being rich and famous for a year, then having the rug pulled out from underneath you. Looking back, I shoulda just dealt with it, but for that year I got so much ponany. I guess I don't regret it, but God has got a sick sense of humor

Its so sad to read about those stories, and I feel for their pain. But in the end as always it is up to the individual to take that risk for the benefit. Not to mention the drug will always effect every individual differently of course. I always get dry patches all over my body and very chapped lips etc, and thats all that I hope will happen, I'm not sure if its also cause I workout almost every day and I drink almost 2 gallons of water, but to anyone else reading this, try to drink 2 ounces of water per lb. Anytime you see yellow piss, chug water, not until you water intoxify yourself of course.

It has been confirmed by three neurologists that I have Intrcranial Hypertension (psuedo Tumor)

Actually intracranial hypertension and pseudo tumors are NOT the same thing at all. A large instance of IH is found in overweight women or as a result of a head trauma. While some cases can be caused by other factors it is very unlikely that it is a result of accutane.

I am a firm believer in making well-informed choices when it comes to serious medicines like accutane. However, as wonderful as the internet can be for research and support, it is best to talk to people you know, medical professionals and professional publications for the most reliable sources of information.

I agree that the side effects of accutane, like any serious medication, can mess with people's lives but at the same time I don't 100% believe these accounts and would be wary of using them as the sole source of information to base my decision on.

Well, it isn't worth it if you get those side effects.

I took 2 courses several years ago. It did absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. But I haven't had any definite noticeable side effects other than the chapped lips while I took it. And since it didn't work, then no, it wasn't worth the risk. You can see my sig and log for what did work.

i took it, and yes I read the risks etc

it's your life and body do what you want

I felt it was worth it despite the risks

Accutane cured my acne. I took it two years ago. I had only mild side effects on it, and they all went away within 4 months of finishing my course.

I'm 100% clear, 99% of the time.

Accutane cured my acne. I took it two years ago. I had only mild side effects on it, and they all went away within 4 months of finishing my course.

good to hear. I just started accutane, and I am nervous from reading peoples horror stories. But everyone I know that has taken it in my city have all had positive outcomes with no severe side effects. I'm hoping I can say the same.

good to hear. I just started accutane, and I am nervous from reading peoples horror stories. But everyone I know that has taken it in my city have all had positive outcomes with no severe side effects. I'm hoping I can say the same.

I'm sure you will.

I see you are in SD...me too! Dr. Steinman in Chula Vista is my derm and he is fabulous!

I'm sure you will.

I see you are in SD...me too! Dr. Steinman in Chula Vista is my derm and he is fabulous!

Sweet that's awesome! I go to the grossmont dermatology center. My derm is helene jolly, she's really nice, but she just went on maternity leave so I don't get to see her for the next 2 months and i get some random person instead. Oh well. I'm hoping by the end of the summer I can wear a tank top without having to worry about people seeing my back. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and I'm staying optimistic. Today I finished day 1.

You could read a lot of bad shit about antibiotics and birth control too. but one person said acne will go a way one day? I'm living proof that acne can be severe and last forever. Yeah shit happens and its wrong but I never fear anything I read cause I know there is not future with this acne and I swear that I will die in order to be free one day from acne and acne scars.

If there's a safe way to successfully approach this problem then I'd certainly feel sorry for those who tried this "miracle pill". Well, I'm on my way to it. ;)

I'm sure you will.

Sweet that's awesome! I go to the grossmont dermatology center. My derm is helene jolly, she's really nice, but she just went on maternity leave so I don't get to see her for the next 2 months and i get some random person instead. Oh well. I'm hoping by the end of the summer I can wear a tank top without having to worry about people seeing my back. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and I'm staying optimistic. Today I finished day 1.

My acne was the worst on my back...and it cleared up first! Good luck to you!

This is my article I started it last year on Wrong Diagnosis. Top search on google and thousands of hits weekly.

I have to say when I see positive attitudes towards Accutane and veteran members hanging around acne forums, I can't help but think of paid service reps and propaganda. Roche pharmaceuticals being a billion dollar corporation it is not far fetched to think so.

I was 20 and very much dedicated to my sport. The only thing stopping me from attending class some days was my acne. (very self conscious) I wanted anything to get rid of it. Boy was I in for a ride. I flipped through the waivers, I remember thinking these adverse affects is for people with weak bodies and haven't been active in sports throughout their lives...like any young kid who trusts their doctor I started taking 80mg a day of Isotretinoin for 1 month for mild acne (if that)! I started having noticeable lower back pain and said to hell with this drug and through it in the trash. Wasn't until two months later and still to this day weakness in my bones and other various neurological issues that for the most part I can deal with because I only took it for a month and I am very strong (like a horse). But wow, what a blow to my health. I'd say I have lost a few years of living on this earth because of 1 month from taking this drug.

This drug is not safe for the human body. Nor any mice that they test it on. I have been researching Isotretinoin for years. I don't feel like getting into a debate online but my research is extensive. While I am going to college I part time collecting medical journals on Isotretinoin and known adverse reactions. Being a user of only 1 month, I am confident that there is severe risks in taking this drug to rid of acne.

It is also a form of chemotherapy (increased vitamin A) and while some may bounce back from chemo, MOST are stuck with permanent issues. If you want to play chance and roll the dice then go ahead.

And now...to the people above ^ that say the decision is ultimately up to you if its worth the risks...

The grandiloquent rhetoric spreaders!

Did you know Isotretinoin is prescribed to some as young as 10 year olds!? Do they have a choice? Our parents are from the 1950's era, for some reason they trust anything out of a doctors mouth. It is not the case, I may not have 8 years of med school but I have 8 years of common sense on this earth to know there is no shortcuts in life.

A teenager is going flip through the booklet of risks and sign the waivers because he or she confines in their doctor and feels as if they wont put them in harms way. And these companies bet on that, and win.

Well most discussions I have with dermatologist seem that the only concern they have while taking the drug, is drinking alcohol while on the medication. Bad for the liver apparently. Requires blood tests every month.

They have no neurology education and being that the majority are teenagers who take this medication are likely to smoke marijuana or use adderall for school can and will spread the toxicity levels of Isotretinoin into the hippocampus and the adrenal cortex affecting your cortisol levels.

All in all. This drug needs serious more attention. Pushed through the rigors of science. And for the love of Man, not prescribed to children or teens who are still growing. Email me doctors, I will help you form better waivers so teens can avoid certain drugs before taking this medication.

People have died on this medication. And its not so much that this medication solely is to blame. It is the cocktail of medications which doctors do not know how each will react with each other. Variables are endless even for a mathematician.

I apologize if there are any typos or poor punctuation, I am in a rush I have to go eat some oatmeal and run on the treadmill. Peace.

"nvapro" aka Adam (first Man created by God in His image)

You could read a lot of bad shit about antibiotics and birth control too. but one person said acne will go a way one day? I'm living proof that acne can be severe and last forever. Yeah shit happens and its wrong but I never fear anything I read cause I know there is not future with this acne and I swear that I will die in order to be free one day from acne and acne scars.

That is just the most ridiculous thing that I just read. Don't be stupid.

I'm moving this to the Accutane forum. Hash it out there, but please be civil about it or the thread gets shut down. Thanks.

eta:

1) This thread will not get stickied. Sorry.

2) If you have already taken Accutane and are done, please post how it went for you in one of the stickied threads (Postive/Negative Accutane Experience). Thanks!

I'm sure you will.

My acne was the worst on my back...and it cleared up first! Good luck to you!

This is my article I started it last year on Wrong Diagnosis.

I must say Scooby doo you are spreading very informational propaganda.

I was 20 and very much dedicated to my sport. I had above average health and a very sculpted body. I am handsome as well so the only thing that was stopping me through highschool was my acne. I wanted anything to get rid of it. Boy was I in for a ride. I flipped through the waivers like any young kid who trusts their doctor would do and after taking Isotretinoin for 1 month I started having noticeable lower back pain and still to this day weakness in my bones and other various neurological issues that for the most part I can deal with because I only took it for a month and I am very fit. But wow, what a blow to my health. I'd say I have lost a few years of living on this earth because of 1 month from taking this drug.

This drug is not safe for the human body. Nor any mice that they test it on. I have been researching Isotretinoin for years. I don't feel like getting into a debate online but my research is extensive. While I am going to college I part time collecting medical journals on Isotretinoin and known adverse reactions. Being a user of only 1 month, I am confident that there is severe risks in taking this drug to rid of acne.

It is also a form of chemotherapy (increased vitamin A) and while some may bounce back from chemo, MOST are stuck with permanent issues. If you want to play chance and roll the dice then go ahead.

And now...to the people above ^ that say the decision is ultimately up to you if its worth the risks...ETC ETC

The Grandiloquent RHETORIC spreaders!

Did you know Isotretinoin is prescribed to some as young as 10 year olds!?

A teenager is going flip through the booklet of risks and sign the waivers because he or she confines in their doctor and feels as if they wont put them in harms way. And these companies bet on that, and win.

Well most discussions I have with dermatologist seem they have only the concern while taking the drug, which is drinking alcohol while on the medication. Bad for the liver. Ok.

They have no neurology education and being that the majority are teenagers who take this medication are likely to smoke marijuana or use adderall for school which can spread the toxicity levels of Isotretinoin into the hippocampus and the adrenal cortex affecting your cortisol levels.

All in all. This drug needs serious more attention. Pushed through the rigors of science. And for the love of Man, not prescribed to children or teens who are still growing. Email me doctors, I will help you form better waivers so teens can avoid certain drugs before taking this medication.

People have died on this medication. And its not so much that this medication solely is to blame. It is the cocktail of medications which doctors do not know how each will react with each other.

I apologize if there are any typos or poor punctuation, I am in a rush I have to go eat some oatmeal and continue my cardio workout. Peace.

[email protected]

"nvapro" aka Adam (first Man created by God in His image)

I have to agree with you. I am so sorry this has happened to you. I know there are many more out there.

:(

Accutane was the only thing that worked for my acne of 7 years. I am on my second course now, no regrets. I did not get a heart attack, did not get a stroke, did not get depressed, and my hair did not fall out.

Is all about luck when it comes to accutane. I took 20mg for almost 5 months and here I am, suffering from nasty side effects for more than a year now.