Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thebignosebandit

Whats Worse? Having Acne or Being Overweight?

I always wondered what was worse, being fat or having acne.

Today's societies biggest concerns are weight and acne, people go through great lengths to fix these problems. If i was forced to pick one i honestly don't know which I'd go with.

Actually I'd pick Acne. Because being overweight is much worse......

1. it affects your entire profile, not just your face, the shape of your body, your clothes, everything.

2. it has an affect on your health. while acne is just a skin disease, being overweight can lead to heart failure and death.

3. it physically limits you. being overweight exludes you from several activities such as sports.

both cause severe depression. both are genetic and sufferers are innocent....(in most cases, some overweight people have bad diets, some people with acne have bad hygeine)

but ya its pretty interesting when you think about it.

i think its the same, my self, im not fat i weigh 140 lbs, im actually pretty light but ive been working out so im actually gaining weight biggrin.gif/ but i think they are both equally bad.

The weight thing is BS alright?

1. it affects your entire profile, not just your face, the shape of your body, your clothes, everything. 

2. it has an affect on your health. while acne is just a skin disease, being overweight can lead to heart failure and death. 

3. it physically limits you. being overweight exludes you from several activities such as sports. 

The weight thing is BS alright?

You wanna know how to cure all three of these things? In a year or much less depending on how overweight you are? Exercise and eat correctly - basically lose weight.

Whereas with acne there is no cure or definite method of alleviating it. You want to bed rid of the things mentioned just lose weight.

You don't even have to diet. Just stop over eating and start going for walks or doing something active. The trick is to find something that you enjoy doing as exercise. You'd think that...as is with everything...you'll eventually get bored of your exercise routines and give up. When it comes to losing weight, this is only the case if you're going about it half assed and counter balancing the exercise you do by eating. If, however, you stick to a routine (it doesnt even have to be a routine just go out for a BRISK BRISK BRISK - EMPHASIZE BRISK IF YOU SAUNTER YOU'RE DOING NOTHING - walk) you'll find sooner than not that you energy levels are going up, you're able to do more of the exercise you enjoy and you'll just generally be feeling better about yourself. The three things you listed become obsolete and that just serves as a great source of happiness and self-esteem.

Take it from sum1 who was put on diets for five years and had short lived success or none at all and had a so-called gene that predisposed them to "being fat". Then one day while watching TV, I dunno, I just had all this adrenaline in me and I decided I was going to start losing weight right there. So I got up and, freeing myself of all my inhibitions, began punching and kicking the air, running on the spot, running around my basement, jumping all over my couch - just doing ANYTHING i could to break a sweat. I kept doing this aerobic activity and did a lot of walking and biking in the summer. Not only was I feeling awesome about myself, the whole eating thing didn't even enter it cause when you're losing weight naturally you don't feel the need to over-eat. I don't even pick up a barbel anymore or use any equipment and exercise in in a space no bigger than 5 feet by 5 feet (well if you don't count me running around my basement and using my couches as an obstacle course)

So if you really feel that being overweight is holding you back - just lose it. All these diets and shit are a joke. When you're losing weight correctly you'll know it and feel awesome.

This is an easy one to answer. I have a fairly severe case of acne, with a lot of facial scarring. There has been nothing I could have done to prevent it. I'm taking isotretinoin for the third time now, hoping again that this time it will help for longer than a year.

As for being fat, I've bulked pretty much in the past and always lost the unwanted fat for the summer. It's easy and pretty fast to do. A little bit of knowledge and discipline and that's it.

Some people gain weight a little easier than others, but it's the lack of exercise and too much food that makes one fat. You can control those things.

I think what your saying is a little unfair as some people realy cant lose weight without drastic measures, like surgery. For example me I dont do any excercise I just walk to and from school and work which is a 10min job. I eat like a horse and its physically impossible for me to put on weight. Infact over the last few months Ive been losing weight. So all I can asume is that it can go the other way for fat people. I think id rather have acne as It will EVENTUALLY go away. Where as people who are fat due to there genetics will struggle all there life to lose weight and most probably fail.

I think that genetics are blamed way too easily. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. There is no way around that. There are people that have illnesses that affect metabolism, but they are rare and the basic calorie rule still applies.

There are of course individual differences in metabolic rates, but people often blame that for their lack of discipline. Losing weight (or burning off unwanted fat) can be difficult for some people, but it is not impossible. Nobody is fat due to their genetics alone.

As for acne, it doesn't necessarily go away. And when it does, you can be left with pretty bad scarring, like me. That doesn't go away.

I don't think you'd have to eat salad your whole life due to a slow metabolism.

Fat people are fat for a reason. I'm sure 95% of them eat junk food or eat large meal portions. They have probably stretched their stomachs and don't know when they are "full".

BTW, I lost over 40 pounds by cutting out sodas, getting a little bit of exercise, and cutting back on junk food in general.

I agree with alot of posts. If your overweight, you can exercise and eat right and you know you will see differences. With acne you take medications hoping they work and they take 3-4 months to see if they work, if they dont, back to another 3-4 months. While with training, 3-4 months you can see results and if you keep going it gets even better =)

for people w/ acne acne is worse...

for people w/ weight 'problems' weight is worse...

for those w/ both.. both :]

I agree with most of the posts. I'd rather be overweight than have acne. If I never had to worry about acne but I had to be healthy in order to stay fit, I think that would be the life for me. Then again, how fat are we talking?

A slow metabolic rate doesn't mean you have to eat salads all the time by any means, I'm living proof. Unless you have a gene or a disorder diagnosed by a doctor that causes you to gain weight without any kind of provocation whatsoever then YEAH maybe surgical procedures are your only answer. The fact of the matter is however that like 90% of cosmetic surgeries performed are for weight reduction such as lipo-suction. Now, honestly, out of those 90% how many do you think really have a genetic disorder, or just want an easy answer?

acne + scars is worse.

because there's not anything you can do about it. stretch marks suck too, after losing weight, but at least fat people get to be happy while they chow down on all those ice cream sundaes. it's not like we go without washing our faces or anything.

Hi everyone, another fellow acne sufferer. Yep, acne has totally fucked my life and changed me from being outgoing and popular to an introverted, angry, bitter fucking pycho loner. Anyway in response to the question I personally would rather be overweight than have acne. At present I keep very fit but I have to deal with these fucking disgusting pustules on my face and under my skin. It is so frustrating because I desperately want clear skin but there is nothing more I can physically do to change it. If I was overweight on the other hand I would not sit around whining and feeling sorry for myself. I would be straight done the gym working as hard as I could until I got to a normal weight and felt confident. So I would rather be overweight, at least you can do something about it!

my sister and i were both raised the same, she was born overweight and has been ever since. her diet is more strict than mine, a very balanced diet geared towards losing weight. She runs 1.5 miles everyday, and does aerobics. Through all this, she has maintained her weight to roughly 40-50 pounds overweight. If she stops, for a week, she will be back at 60-70 pounds overweight.

I on the other hand am perfectly fit, I am 5'10 140 pounds. I eat big macs and pizza everyday, coke, and sit around and play games/internet. But i remain fit. She on the other hand, doesnt.

I guess that proves my point. That fat storage and metabolism is not the same for everyon, just as oil production and acne is not the same for everyone.

She has clear skin, not one blemish, I on the other hand , have mild/moderate acne, and i'm starting to get cysts. I wash my face and take antiobiotics, she doesn't touch her face, I still get more acne.

Now I would gladly take ACNE anyday over being fat. Being Overweight affects you entire profile, your face is fat, your neck is fat, your hips are fat, your arms are flabby, EVERYTHING. not just your face. The clothes you wear look funny.

Physically you are limited.

Physically you are more prone to heart failure.

Acne is a PURE mental disease, no one will die from acne, no one will get physically hurt by acne, no one is physically limited by acne, we are all just mentally torn.

Both are very hard, terrible things to go through, but being overweight is much worse.

we are all so down and out because of our acne.......i just wanted to point out that there are millions of other people suffereing from physical conditions that are worse.

I on the other hand am perfectly fit, I am 5'10 140 pounds. I eat big macs and pizza everyday, coke, and sit around and play games/internet. But i remain fit. She on the other hand, doesnt.

i wouldn't say im fit, but i have no excess body fat, slightly toned, and eat whatever i want.

I just have ACNE!!!!!! oh the misery............this really sucks, my ex girlfriend who i havent seen in 8 months is stopping by this weekend, last time she saw me i was clear, this is going to SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't say im fit, but i have no excess body fat, slightly toned, and eat whatever i want.

I just have ACNE!!!!!! oh the misery............this really sucks, my ex girlfriend who i havent seen in 8 months is stopping by this weekend, last time she saw me i was clear, this is going to SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can anyone say being overweight is worse? acne is giving to us whether we like it or not. The being that are overweight brought it upon themselves, i have a choice to change but most choose not too. On the other hand we acne and scars sufferers try hard everyday to fix our scar with mimimal results.

ACNE. Bottom line is that people can't control there acne, but most people can control there weight. It's all relative though and I am sure overweight people would say it sucks more. Overweight people don't have to deal with the fucking physical pain that acne can cause though so I would definitly say acne is worse. Besides beign a little chunky isn't as bad as having red disgusting spots all over your face. I see a lot of bigger people married than people with acne.