Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think that here we have largely learned that the root of many people's emotional damage caused by acne is from other peoples' opinions and perceptions of it. How do we look in front of people? Will she/he like me if I have acne? Why did they have to call me those names? I wonder if I could look like them if I didnt have acne?

What do we need to solve this? Exposure and education. Lets look at a current campaign that Jamie Oliver is running in the UK (hes a TV chef for those of you outside of the UK who might not know him). He's trying to get the country eating healthier by bringing good food that's easy to teach and cook to everyone's attention. Now I dont know how well its working but its on the TV and in the papers a lot, as with any other national campaign that goes on.

It wouldnt take much to get the word acne round the public and give people a better understand of its causes, its treatments, its side affects and any myths surrounding it. A TV documentary would be ample to start with- exploring the lives of current and past acne sufferers. Get people interested and understanding. A well-created, compassionate and interesting documentary that covers current issues is always affective on TV. For those in the UK those Cutting Edge or Dispatches programmes or the ones like the Extraordinary People series. People notice the issues and learn about them. This could be matched by a national campaign to further gain awareness. It would be run by people who have/are experiencing acne and we get the message that we want across to the public.

It was just something I thought of while watching TV this evening. I appreciate that both would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time. They are realistic ideas, while being quite unrealistic at the same time. You then have the issue of getting the less confident sufferers to take part and voice their views. But I just feel that we need to get people to understand acne better. Its not everyone's faults that they are uneducated about it. I wonder if theres something that can be done and hopefully reduce the ignorance that plagues this world and makes acne something that should be discriminated and ridiculed.

I do think that it is important for ppl who don't have acne to be more informed. But at the same time...when I was clear about five years ago, I could have cared less about acne. I had clear skin up until college. And to be completely honest with you I didn't really notice acne on others while I was clear. It wasnt until I got acne that I started to examine others skin and compare it to my own. I would watch something like that on tv- but not too sure people who are clear would.

I am not sure if you have seen the true life: I have acne...on mtv- but thats an example of acne exposure. If you havent seen it, you should watch it on mtv.com.

I do think that it is important for ppl who don't have acne to be more informed. But at the same time...when I was clear about five years ago, I could have cared less about acne. I had clear skin up until college. And to be completely honest with you I didn't really notice acne on others while I was clear. It wasnt until I got acne that I started to examine others skin and compare it to my own. I would watch something like that on tv- but not too sure people who are clear would.

I am not sure if you have seen the true life: I have acne...on mtv- but thats an example of acne exposure. If you havent seen it, you should watch it on mtv.com.

Oooo I will have a little watch of that. Thanks :dance: