Stress & Cortisol i...

Notifications
Clear all

Stress & Cortisol increase acne

MemberMember
(@lisafromct)

Posted : 01/04/2009 8:54 pm

This may sound odd to some, but if you look into it, you'll find it does have some merit. I have no other explanation for my acne recovery.

Stress causes an increase in cortisol, a hormone, which throws the bodies chemical/hormonal balance off. Stress can trigger breakouts.

I'm an easily stressed person with a pretty stressful job. Several years ago I decided to try medication to help control my mood swings, especially prior to that time of the month. During the trial and error of finding one that worked best for me, I noticed that the SSRI's reduced my acne significantly. If I stopped a medication due to side effects, my acne returned in full force. When I started a new med., my acne soon cleared up. This happened every time the doctor switched my medication. I tried Wellbutrin because of the lack of certain side effects and my acne came right back. Wellbutrin works on different brain chemicals, and those had no impact on my acne. Once I went back to an SSRI (Effexor) my acne quickly cleared up. I've been on Effexor for 3 years now, and my skin is completely clear, except for the very small and occasional monthly zit. That, and I recently tried Carley's for those little occasional zits, and my face reacted by breaking out terribly. The Carley's is going back...

Prior to taking SSRI's my face was in constant turmoil. I had numerous large sore pimples in every stage of emerging and healing. I was a mess. I don't like some of the side effects of the medication, but I am very calm now and the extra stress of huge red zits on my face & back is now gone. For me, clear skin is worth it. You may want to look into this as possible option for those of you who have seemingly tried everything.

MemberMember
(@princesspimple)

Posted : 01/04/2009 9:01 pm

I think it depends on the person and the medication,because I was on LEXAPRO,and I did nothing but break out the ENTIRE time I used it (A year and a half). I came off,and my face cleared up.I also read online that acne CAN be a rare side effect for those taking Lexapro.Of course if I had known that I wouldnt have started taking it in the first place.

However,when I was on Prozac,I dont recall having had many breakouts.In fact,if I did get a small pimple here or there it didnt bother me as much either.

Thanks for sharing.Since acne can be so depressing,I'm sure this might help a few people.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/04/2009 9:27 pm

This may sound odd to some, but if you look into it, you'll find it does have some merit. I have no other explanation for my acne recovery.

Stress causes an increase in cortisol, a hormone, which throws the bodies chemical/hormonal balance off. Stress can trigger breakouts.

Yes, this is part of the reason sleep and exercise are so important. Also, excess cortisol can lead to adrenal fatigue. The adrenals are partly responsible for balancing hormones. In addition to reducing stress with exercise and sleep, there are many nutrients which help with adrenal health.

I only have vague knowledge on that as I rarely feel stressed so it's not my issue.

MemberMember
(@soosyv)

Posted : 07/29/2009 3:38 pm

Yes, keep smiling, it will reduce stress and keep cortisol in the body! :)

MemberMember
(@bogzpuku)

Posted : 01/05/2011 10:18 am

Cortisol has anti inflamatory actions so I don't believe that it contributes to acne, maybe only if there are very high levels of it. I know that cortisone is actually given to nodules/cysts to relieve inflammation.

MemberMember
(@joannie)

Posted : 01/06/2011 6:27 pm

ive just stopped taking wellbutrin this last week because i noticed when i stared taking it gradually i started getting more and more acne before my skin was perfect, i also did my research, im glad you posted this ive been trying to find a solution since ive pretty much stopped taking all my meds and i dont know what to do i have rapid cycling bipolar so i get stressed very easily its so hard not to, but i figured its the smarter move since i learned to control myself and all those meds have ugly side effects, i take trazodone at night but im not sure if it can cause acne or not.. anybody know about that? Maybe ill do my research on effexor and try it out.. what i really want is tramadol i know its a pain pill but its the best damn antidepressant ever, when i used to take it i had clear skin, i was happy, slept good, no anxiety, and i was very active, ive read that psychiatrists can prescribe it for resistant depression but rarely do so i dont know how to go about trying to get that.

MemberMember
(@danev)

Posted : 04/08/2011 8:41 am

I think i have to agree on this allthough i find it hard to understand. I think its more complex then just cortisol. Anxiety and stress can mess up a lot more in your body.

I`m taking klonopin for my anxiety disorder for a couple of weeks now, and my face has never been as clear as it is right now. Its now only my view, my family members and friends also noted it.

I`m not eating very well and i`m not doing anything with my skin other than washing it once a day. So it has to be the reduced anxiety!

MemberMember
(@mariak1)

Posted : 05/12/2011 4:42 am

For the original poster. It's good that you told us about your positive experiences of SRRI meds helping to clear your acne.

I just have to say that I have been on Efexor for almost four years now. My acne has never been this bad. So clearly SSRI drugs don't work for everybody...

Maria

MemberMember
(@barayrayalldayday)

Posted : 04/15/2013 1:33 pm

DaneV dose Klonopin really help the anxiety too? And your skin?

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 04/15/2013 4:15 pm

I don't know if any of you watch or give credit to Dr Oz, but I happened to catch an episode the other day while folding laundry. He talked about personality types and I watched it because it sounded interesting. According to personality traits, certain types are more prone to stress than others. He had said that everyone gets stressed BUT types A, B and C usually mediate that stress so it doesn't particularly harm the body --or that you don't suffer ill effects from it. However, Type D, has a harder time eliminating stress and therefore is at greater risk of suffering effects (he gave heart attack, etc as examples). Now, the reason this made sense to me is because many people are social and it appears that being social helps relieve stress whether you know it or not. Type D and to some degree Cs do NOT like social situations. I am a Type D for sure. I get anxious in social settings and really I just prefer being by myself (other than my family or close friends of course). But in general, I prefer to spend my time alone. I suppose you could use the word introvert. But, I started thinking, if we avoid a situation that HELPS mediate stress...then of course we are accumulating it in our bodies...and therefore could it possibly lead to acne? How many people who get acne start to reduce social interactions? Instead of helping, perhaps that actually hurts. Just something to think about. When I logged in my notebook the two worst breakouts I have had the past 2 years, they were during really stressful times. I had NOT had a breakout like that previously. I have stress throughout the year, like anyone else, but I think coupled with drying out my skin and not having a way to mediate the stress (say social interactions) it was too much. I also suffer from seasonal affective disorder (seasonal depression and it peaks for me in Jan-march even with D3 supplementation). I'm no expert, but that's my line of thinking. Others may not see stress related breakouts--maybe they have more outlets to mediate it. I find it a curious study, though! I'll include a link to the Dr Oz personality article/test thing for anyone interested.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/what-your-personality-type-reveals-about-your-health

Now, I am NOT saying all acne is stress induced. Of course not. If there were only ONE cause, we'd all be able to do the same thing and fix it. lol But I believe it can be a cause for certain people. Just like I think some people find dairy or foods to affect them.

MemberMember
(@callendula)